PDA

View Full Version : Info on 175 Suzuki 4/s  and Large 3" Bungs

Greengo
02-05-2006, 10:11 PM
G'day,
I would like to know if any of you blokes out there have purchased a 175 Suzuki 4 stroke yet as I am building a 6m platey and looking at the suzys. Reason being variable valve timing and still a four banger as opposed to the other makes being v6's (honda yammies etc) and I also have a few mates with the 140 and sware by them, but I don't think they will have enough go because my boat will be a heavy bugger. About 1000kg hull only ( 6mm bottom, 5 sides, 5 floor, 5 gunwales and decks, 6 maxi-transom). Being a boilermaker I've gone a bit on the heavy duty side. So I like to get a little feedback on fuel consumption, performance etc on a similar size craft. I'm looking at buying a motor at the Brissie boat show. So I am trying to find out as much as I can before then.

One more thing. I have built in a 3" flood pipe into a large under floor kill tank. Which will add stability to the boat at rest and is also insulated to double as a big underfloor esky aswell as a kill tank of course. But I am havin trouble finding a 3" plastic or ally weldable bung for the inside of the tank. If anyone can help get back to me please. Thanks Fellas.

revs57
03-05-2006, 01:25 PM
G'day Greengo,

I have a 6mt Riptide Alloy boat (about 6.6 by others standards), built by Dave Claussen in underwood (Brisbane Sth side).

It has 5mm bottom, 4mm sides and 3mm top, weighing in somewhere around 900kg.

I have it powered by a 2005 150 hp efi Merc...It has plenty of get up and go, but loves a drink around 38-40litres/hr...I think you are barking up the right tree looking at a 175 'zuke...4 cyl vs 6 and plenty of get up and go...I'm seriously considering repowering with one when we can afford it.

Dave is a Suzuki dealer and will be able to put you on to a weldable alloy bung for your kill tank too. You can check him out at www.riptidealloyboats.com.au or call in to his workshop at

1/52 Smallwood St
Underwood Qld 4119
Ph/Fax 07 3341 0088

If you want to check out his stuff I'd be happy to show you Flamin' Riptide. I have a complete photo record of the build process...Send me a PM if interested

Cheers

Rhys

Greengo
03-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Rhys,

Thanks mate for the bung advice I will follow that up.

What top speed did you get out of your 150EFI Merc?

Greengo

revs57
03-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi Greengo,

I'm a little over propped with a 17" vengeance...WOT is only 5000, should be around 5750 so could probably come back half a pitch to be perfect...this could help the fuel economy too.

According to the GPS she pulls up at around 63 klm/hr. Cruises at 3500-3800 rpm @ 42-48 klm/hr on a good day with wind and current running with you...back to around 38ish klm/hr against those factors at the same RPM

Cheers

Rhys

Chris_Riethmuller
05-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Greengo, I have a good HDPI yammy 175 you can have, it uses next to no fuel unless you spill some.
rgds Beefa

maxi
08-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Greengo, I have a new 6mtr Fisher and it has the new 150 zuke and goes unreal.

Cheers,
Greg

FishOn
08-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Greengo here are a few boat tests with the 150 and the 175 http://www.suzukimarine.com/sr06/df175-150/boattests.php.

Just have to convert numbers to litres and kms if necessary.

140 is @ http://www.suzukimarine.com/sr06/df140/boattests.php

Kind regards Trevor

mirage
08-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi Greengo,

I just purchased a Freedom Seasport 6.4m fibreglass boat with a new DF175 4/stk Suzuki on it. I'm very happy with it. It goes like the clappers and is very quiet. Far more wind noise than engine noise. At idle you are hard pressed hearing if the motor is going at all. It's only fairly new so haven't really done an accurate check on the fuel consumption yet. It gets the boat up on the plane effortlessly and with six adults on board does 40kts.

I would highly reccomend one.

Cheers, Scotty.

Greengo
08-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Greengo, I have a good HDPI yammy 175 you can have, it uses next to no fuel unless you spill some.
rgds Beefa
Beefa,
Thanks mate we will have to catch up for a beer and discuss the payment on such an item.

Greengo
11-05-2006, 08:33 PM
G'day'

I got the bung all sorted. I'm going to use a 3" test plug 20 bucks from the plumbers shop. Should do the trick nicely, and thanks to you Trev for the website as it gave me very valuble info on the Suzuki's. I am still pretty keen on the 175. So thanks for the help fellahs and I can't wait to get back out on the water
Greengo

mirage
12-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Hi Greengo,

Went to the Banks on Wed and got some accurate figures for you for the DF175.
It's fitted to a 6.4m Freedom Seasport glass boat. We did 55Nm at an average speed for the whole trip of 20kts. Into the swell/wind 4000rpm gave about 21kts and with the swell 4000rpm sat on about 24kts. We used 52litres of fuel when I filled her up after the trip.

The speed and distance figures are off a Lowrance Global Map 3500.

I hope this helps your decision making.

Scotty.

MulletMan
12-05-2006, 12:25 PM
.... and lash out on a SS cupped prop!

You will improve the efficiency by about 10% as there will be no propellor flutter that comes with a alu prop.

Tell the missus it is a "safety feature" and she will but it for you!

Suzuki is a brilliant motor!

mcgilld
18-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Not bad figures mirage. How heavy is your Seasport when loaded up for the trip?

dave

Fisher_Boats
19-05-2006, 06:45 AM
.... and lash out on a SS cupped prop!

You will improve the efficiency by about 10% as there will be no propellor flutter that comes with a alu prop.

Tell the missus it is a "safety feature" and she will but it for you!

Suzuki is a brilliant motor!

They come with a stainless cupped prop ;)

Col

Greengo
20-05-2006, 09:56 AM
G'day,

Thanks Mirage for the fuel stats, really helps me out. Can't wait for the boat show so I can get me one. Col, will you have a stall at the show. If so we might be able to talk some prices etc. because I will be looking at buying 2 of them as my mate is also buildin a platey and wants a zuke 175 aswell.

Seeya