PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary Cove Boat Show

charleville
18-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Went to the Sanctuary Cove boat show today. #:-/

It is a very large display of a lot of boats, especially some very large ones, floating gin palaces or even hotels in some cases. #Lots of marine stuff catering from the very largest to the very smallest. Lots of interstate representation - when I was looking at the Arvor 25, the sales rep lamented that you cannot fish in the harbour any more - I said "What Manly harbour?" and he replied, "No, #Sydney Harbour" #;D ;D

Plenty of fishing boats, electronics etc to be seen but it lacks the fishing-ness or fishing coherence of the Brisbane Boat Show or the Tackle & Tinnie Show for the average recreation fisho. eg no fishing expo or the like to sit in and listen to experts. #:( #I did not think that it was especially well laid out insofar as in such a large show, there may have been some sense in defining precincts or areas of common displays or interest than there was. #Similarly, once you found the toilets, you knew where they were but there was not a lot of signage about such. #:'( The displays in little tents scattered around the site really suffered when there was a rain downpour early in the day as all the patrons stayed in the large marquees where a lot of displays were. #I only saw one tackle seller - just one of those business selling miscellaneous tackle - $10 fishing rods etc. #:(

I did enjoy looking at the restored WW2 army hospital boat (gold coin donation to board and view). # 8-) This was one of five Tassie built Huon Pine boats built to carry 12 crew and 30 patients (which would have been fairly crowded.) #It was an Army ship rather than a Red Cross ship so it used to carry guns fore and aft but being wood, it cannot have been much fun to get into a fire-fight in if it ever had to do that. #The people in attendance are restoration enthusiasts and gave a good description of the boat and its history etc. :)

I last went to the Sanctuary Cove boat show about five years ago. #I suspect that today will be my last visit there - not because it is a bad show - but really because it lacks any particular focus of interest to me#like the Brissy boating and fishing shows have.

As always, the logistics in getting in and out are pretty good. #You cannot park there so it is a choice of parking at the Showgrounds in Smith Street at Southport and taking a shuttle bus there #or taking the train to Helensvale and taking a shuttle bus from there. #I chose the latter and enjoyed the train and shuttle trips - although if you come from the suburbs, you need to give yourself a couple of hours travelling time all up in each direction.

There was a pretty large crowd there today so I reckon that it will be packed on Saturday and Sunday. #Very noticeably an older demographic attending today but I guess that is because it was a weekday and most of the young blood is at work. #;D ;D

It is not a cheap day out. $21 for entry and shuttle bus. $15.60 for the return train trip that I took from the suburbs. Add in lunch - well ok, I did have pork spare ribs and a couple of large glasses of plonk #;D ;D - and it does mount up.

PinHead
19-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Sanctuary Cove is exactly that...a boat show...the manufacturers of the larger rigs are only interested in getting sales. None of them are really interested in what the boat is used for..I think last year Riviera sold about 30 mill worth of boats at the show..lots of overseas buyers attend this one. I will be there today but I am under strict instructions...no cheque book and not allowed to sign anything...damn

Cloud_9
19-05-2006, 06:30 AM
I'm going today as well.
but i have a free pass
and i think i can park at the venue lol.
i'll be there around lunch time.
the usual Galeforce boats shirt on.
Cheers Cloud 9

gcbfc
19-05-2006, 07:36 AM
If you like BIG fishing boats, and the medium sized Plate Tinnies like the Noble etc., the shows or you !

Its a lot bigger than last year too. The waterbased part is about 25% bigger than last year and there are a few more tackle people in the halls (the original poster didnt go to all the halls by the sounds of it). Beware some of the Chinese junk shops though (which he did find by the sounds of it)

I actually think its worth the money and effort this year.

Cheers

Wayne

p.s. Met Burley boy and chatted to Jeffo yesterday. Andrew Yeh from Outside edge was with Jeffo too.

Argle
19-05-2006, 11:40 AM
My absolute favourite show of all!! Just the atmosphere is enough let alone all the goodies to drool over, wander around taking it all in. Sitting on the balcony overlooking the marina while having lunch and washing it down with a couple of cold XXXX mmmmm brilliant! Unfortunatley circumstances dictate that this year I will be unable to attend :'( :'( :'( But look out next year :) :) ;D

Cheers and beers
Scott

Mortalkombat
19-05-2006, 12:49 PM
been there to not much fishing stuff apart from Wayne, : got some Pakulas off him. Did see some interesting boats how would your fuel bill be on this around 24 footer be who wants one of theses :o :o :o

PinHead
19-05-2006, 02:48 PM
went along today..some great boats there..anyone got a lazy $150K they wanna lend me ???

charleville
19-05-2006, 02:58 PM
the original poster didnt go to all the halls by the sounds of it

Thought that I did but perhaps I didn't. Nevermind, that reinforces my comment that I don't think that it is as well laid out as it could be.

The on-water part is almost too big - a huge number of boats. 'Twould be easy to spend $500k if one had $500k lying around.

Burley_Boy
19-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Yeah I spent the arvo there and lik Tag n Brag said I met him and Jeffo on the Pakula stand, its always good to meet up with people from here so that was fun.
I must be a local now as got recognised by exhibitors on a few more stands or maybe I'm just a tackle n boat junkie ::)

Hint though. If you get handed a big yellow bucket by maritime safety then realize that anyone selling a $4M boat will likely figure that anyone appreciating a bucket as a freebie is unlikely to be in the market for a $4M boat :-/
Asked the Riviera mob if it came in blue, didn't get much of an answer though.

Seriously though I can't quite relate to the boating set who keenly pay $110 for the Tshirt with their cruiser brand but each to their own. I do appreciate the manufacturers and sellers who can hook those though ;D
Enjoyed the small stands with bits and pieces as usual.

gcbfc
20-05-2006, 03:41 PM
the original poster didnt go to all the halls by the sounds of it

Thought that I did but perhaps I didn't. #Nevermind, that reinforces my comment that I don't think that it is as well laid out as it could be.

As a person who helps out exhibiting... I can totally agree with you on the layout. its terrible. Plus the airon in the halls was pitiful this year. I had to have about 100 beers after we closed yesterday just to put back in what the sweat had taken out !

You need a full day to get right round the show now with all the alleys and walkways thats Sanctuary Cove has.

Cheers

Wayne

TheSaint
20-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Headed there today with my girlfriend & we enjoyed the show tho still think Brisbane boat show is a better layout. It was good to talk to the actual guys from Makocraft about cost & options i want on my 420 Edgetracker when i order it later this year.. Nice to know they are thinking the Suzuki is the better choice on the back too #;)

showbag
20-05-2006, 04:27 PM
I've been Gunna go for two days now but I don't think it's going to help me much - I've spent much of today at the trading post site looking at "for sales", now I'm just more confused and thirsty (must be beer oclock) - I think I'll get more help from this site - I just don't know where to draw the line, Showers - loos - fridges, in boards -outboards,
HELP :-[ I'm happy to spend 40 - 60 have been looking at the seafarer 5.5 viking - I want a Family cum fishing boat, I live around moreton would probably cross the bar with my serious fishin mates what do you think????? :-[

Grand_Marlin
20-05-2006, 08:03 PM
I liked the show, some unbelievable boats there this year.

In the pavillion stands (from a trade point of view) WHATS NEW?????
I am always looking for new / improved products, but from the major manufacturers, there was just the same stuff as last year :-/

Not whingeing, just stating a fact.

Two gripes I did have:
a) The cost of food - absolutely ridiculous. (bacon egg burger, small chips, coke = $18) I think this point deserves a letter to boatshow management.

b) Didnt find any change room facilities anywhere for the baby. Had to change outside 3 times. As a family oriented venue, I thought this aspect was poor. I noticed numerous parents doing the same as we did.

I think the award for the most colourful stand goes to Pakula Tackle ... very nice. Good to catch up Wayne.

Favourite Boat? The Viking 57 Gameboat.

Cheers

Pete

PinHead
20-05-2006, 08:14 PM
some great boats there..the Warren for about 7mill is on hell of a boat.
Wife was all over a clipper 40...had to drag her away...maybe in a few years when I want to slow down.

I was impressed with the Tiara 3600..not bad but a bit overpriced at $630k

TheSaint
20-05-2006, 09:15 PM
The cost of food - absolutely ridiculous. (bacon egg burger, small chips, coke = $18) I think this point deserves a letter to boatshow management.

4 rolls of Sushi & a coffee = $6 ;)

charleville
20-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Plus the airon in the halls was pitiful this year. I had to have about 100 beers after we closed yesterday just to put back in what the sweat had taken out !

I thought that on Friday as well. Some exhibitors had lots of lights and it was getting pretty hot under the marquee on Friday with the crowd that was there then so I imagine that it would have become stinking hot today.

Grand_Marlin
21-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Apparently the aircon was on on Friday, but when it rained, water got into the aircon "shed". It didnt hurt it, but they shut it down just in case ... so therefore no aircon for rest of show.

No wonder the Sushi was cheaper than the burgers ... 'cos it wasnt cooked ;D

Fair comment, but in general the prices were disgraceful.

Cheers

Pete

TheSaint
21-05-2006, 10:37 AM
No wonder the Sushi was cheaper than the burgers ... 'cos it wasnt cooked #;D

Fair comment, but in general the prices were disgraceful.

Cheers

Pete

I hear what your saying mate but Sanctuary Cove has always had there food prices set to cater for the high-bow end of the market..