PDA

View Full Version : Changing bearings on trailer

firefish
19-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Giday all,
I am after some advice on changing the bearings on my tinnies trailer. I have just had a cod fishing trip postponed due to a broken bearing. :'( As I have limited mechanical knowledge I was wondering how hard is it to change them to new ones myself????? :-?The wheel is flopping around on the axel and just looking at it, it doesn't seem a huge job to fix it. Just thought if I do it myself I can learn for next time. Any davice would be great.
Schulzy
[smiley=fireman.gif]

JEWIENEWIE
19-05-2006, 10:41 AM
My advice, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it while you watch and learn. It is a simple job but one you dont want to stuff up and time will tell!!
Jewie

Argle
19-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Do a search through the Boating section, its been covered heaps of times in there. There are links to web sites that give blow by blow descriptions and pics.
Give it a go its really easy to do and you will save a few bucks as well. :)

Cheers and beers
Scott

Sea-Dog
19-05-2006, 12:04 PM
This is the way that I have done bearings in the past. I am not a mechanic. I know there are better ways to do it with presses etc. I have just worked with what I've had. I accept no responsibility for the way that anyone may care to use this information.

You will need:
*Screwdriver to remove the cap
*Shifter to remove bearing nut
*Socket extension bar to remove old bearing cups and seals
*Hammer for same
*3 lengths of timber (4" X 2") - 2 to rest hub on and 1 to seat new bearing cup and seal with.
*New inner bearing and seal, New outer bearing.
*New Split pin
*High temp bearing grease.
*Plenty of paper towel
*Fine wet&dry sandpaper

Method:

*Chock opposite wheel(s) of vehicle
*Loosen wheel nuts
*Jack up vehicle and support on axle stands
*Remove wheel
*Use hammer and screwdriver to loosen and remove grease cap from hub
*Use pliers to remove old split-pin - discard
*Undo bearing nut and washer and place in clean cardboard box
*Pull on hub and remove

*Clean stub axle and inspect for rust or damage to area where seal runs. If rust
or damage is evident, use fine sandpaper to smooth area. Otherwise new seal will
soon fail and new bearing will quickly resemble old one.
*Place hub, inner side down on top of two bits of timber to give clearance for
removal of old seal & bearing/cup

*Using socket extension bar or similar & hammer,working from above, tap out old
bearing cup by placing edge of tool on inner lip of bearing cup. You will have to
work your way around the circumference of the bearing cup, gently tapping the cup
down a bee's-d!ck at a time, so that it comes out parallel to the bore of the hub. (not crooked)
* Once you have removed the inner bearing etc. Flip the hub over to remove the cup
from the outer edge of the hub. You may need to turn the bits of timber onto the
short edge to provide clearance for the wheels studs.

*Give the hub a good clean and inspection. If you have any dodgy studs, now is the
time to remove them and replace.
*Once the hub is clean, you can insert the new bearing cups. Make sure that you
are putting them in facing the correct way (Thick end first). This is probably the
most fiddly part of the job. You have to get the new bearing cup started into the
bore of the hub parallel to the sides. I find the best way is to place the cup in
place, then lay a bit of straight edged timber on top. Then tap carefully,
rotating the timber so that each part of the edge of the cup gets tapped down
equally. You will probably find that it takes a while to get started properly.

*Once the bearing is seated approximately half-way, a bit more enthusiasm can be
used with the hammer to make it flush with the edge of the hub. Then CAREFULLY use
the tool that you used for removing the old cups, gradually seat the new cup to
its full depth. Once again, by tapping around the circumference. You can tell by
feel when you have bottomed out.

*Clean out any bits of splintered timber that may have entered the hub
*Next step is to pack grease into the new bearings before fitting them. Do this to
the inner bearing first. There is no clean way of doing this that I have found.
Get your bearing in one hand, dip your index finger deep into the CLEAN grease
container and start working the grease into one END of the new bearing. Keep
working it in, until grease comes out of the other end of the bearing. Do this all
the way around until it won't take any more grease.

*Drop the now-greased inner bearing into the inner side of the hub, and tap the
new grease seal into place so that it sits flush with the inner edge of the hub.
You will need to use the bit of timber to seat the seal. They are usually a bit
oversized for a tight fit and may really try your patience.

*Almost done now.

*Now is the time to grease the outer bearing the same way as the inner bearing you
did before.
*Put some clean grease on the axle stub to get things a little slippery.
*When the outer bearing is greased and ready, you can fit the hub with its new
bearings and seals onto the axle stub. Hold the hub level, so that you can slide
the outer bearing onto the axle stub and push it into its place in the hub. Then
place on the bearing washer followed by the bearing nut.

*Gradually do up the bearing nut, testing the wheel for free running.
*I generally do up the bearing nut tight enough to feel some resistance to freely
turn the hub, then back it off by one or two notches on the slotted nut.
*Insert the NEW split-pin through the end of the axle stub and bend the long end
over.

*Tap the grease cap into place, refit the wheel.
*Lower the vehicle, tighten the nuts and take for a short test drive listening
carefully for any noise.

charleville
19-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Go to this website. It has a string of short video clips showing a guy doing the whole job...

http://www.reygarza.net/Bearing_maintenance.html

Being short clips, you can watch each element one at a time as you do the job yourself.

lippa
19-05-2006, 06:21 PM
got to your local metal recylers and by a piece of brass 'bout 1/2 to inch in diameter. brass will not hurt the face of the bearing like other metals do. ther is also a special tool you can buy to do the job. just remember to grind off the mushroom head you will get on the brass.

cheers

lippa

firefish
19-05-2006, 09:15 PM
All you blokes are LEDGENDS :). It is so great to have this wealth of knowledge here. Great big thanks to SEADOG for the time and effort you put in. I think I will have a go myself.......I am not a compleate clutz??? ;D(I hope Im not!!!!!!!!) Thanks again Blokes.
Schulzy.

blaze
19-05-2006, 09:34 PM
couple of things I didnt see mentioned (all good advice)
there is no need to fill the dusk cover with grease
dont completely pack your hub with grease because in extreme cases it can cause overheating and premature failure.
mild steel is by far the best material for using as a drift to knock the cups out and in (brass tends to chip and if an unseen piece becomes lodged in the bearing it can cause premature failure)
dont preload the bearing (with a new wheel bearing it needs to have no free play, tighten up the nut untill a slight preload is felt, with the wheel on and then back off to the first avialable split pin postion. If a bearing is removed for a check and repacked, it is better to be on the looser side.)
Experence gained from too many years as a mechanic
cheers
blaze
ps
any one else over tighten a bearing, i have and seen it destruct in 10 mile.

akman1
19-05-2006, 11:08 PM
You blokes seem to have it all done as good as I'd do and the special punch for knocking the inner cones in(heaps easier) is only about $15 at bearing shops
well worth the money if you have to do a few over time,it does ford and holden
bearings-same size outers,personally reckon its worth the money

Scalem
20-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Firefish,

Whereabouts do you live? I am sure one of us can check on your progress just so you feel confident in your final result. I am sure you will be able to do it with all the good advice.

Just so I don't have trouble with bearings ever, I put a pair of bearing buddies on mine, and every 2nd or third trip I pump about 4 or 5 squirts of grease from the grease gun. Most people I tell this to are horrified, but I have not had to change bearings in about 5 years. Instead, after about 30 mins on the road, I jump out and feel the hubs. It's normal to be slightly warm, but too hot to touch means you have a problem waiting to happen. My left hub was a bit warmer than the other when I took the boat up to Hervey Bay, so I have a spare hub prepared, new bearings and grease ready to go on, just a matter of doing it one day.

Scalem

Geoff_Atkinson
20-05-2006, 09:14 AM
I have the mechanical knowledge of an African Elephant, but I managed to change the bearings on my trailer by downloading instructions off
a web site I found a link to here on Ausfish.

The most important thing I found was to buy good quality bearings, grease and Stainless Bearing Buddies (if that's what you chose to use), follow the instructions to the letter and to take your time.

I cannot recall the actual site I went to but all i did was a google search "maintaining trailer bearings" and there are plenty of them.

Good luck

Geoff_Atkinson
20-05-2006, 09:20 AM
I found it!!!!

Just follow this, and you'll be right!!

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/bo_maintenance_repair/article/0,2021,DIY_13718_2277898,00.html

firefish
20-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Scalem,
I reside in the beautiful North east town of Albury Wodonga. I am feeling a lot more confident now about the DIY job after reading the above posts. If I get stuck I wont hesitate to YELL out. Once again Thanks a lot everyone.
Schulzy [smiley=dankk2.gif] [smiley=fireman.gif]

catchy_fishy
23-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Hey I can offer some encouragement.

On the other extreme of Blaze I am no mechanic ;D ;D. I sadly admit that with an electrical problem from a disconected battery on my outboards I adjusted my carb settings. ::) :-? Get the picture about my skill level.

BUT I changed bearings on my Landrover, after one seized. Had a bit of a job pulling it off but fortunately had a "puller" - don't ask why - I just love tools.

The job was simple enough and I did it without Ausfish - the advice you've been given and the links etc will easily see you through.

The satisfaction in this type of job is knowing that if it happens to you on the side of the road and you have the spare bearings you could change them yourself.

AND STILL GO FISHING. That's gotta be worth gold.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mike

Grand_Marlin
23-05-2006, 07:08 AM
I didnt read every post, but 3 things I will add:

Make sure the stub axle isn'd damaged / scored due to the old bearing collapsing.

I suggest Castrol HTB Grease

And fit bearing buddies to prolong the life of your new bearings.

Cheers

Pete

blaze
23-05-2006, 07:22 AM
OH Pete, I so hate bearing buddies. Some people must like them though as the nice shiny things always seem to get pinched, never had the old ugly looking dust cover stolen though.
cheers
blaze

Searaider 2
27-10-2007, 01:42 PM
bump .....

blaze
27-10-2007, 02:34 PM
got to your local metal recylers and by a piece of brass 'bout 1/2 to inch in diameter. brass will not hurt the face of the bearing like other metals do. ther is also a special tool you can buy to do the job. just remember to grind off the mushroom head you will get on the brass.

cheers

lippa
Hi Lippa
A lot of people use brass on bearings but it is a no no. you are correct in saying a softer metal must be used so the bearing isnt damaged BUT the metal should be mild steel.
The brass tends to splinter of and go into the bearing and being soft will flatten onto a roller or the cup face and cause premature failure
cheers
blaze

NAGG
27-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Firefish,

Whereabouts do you live? I am sure one of us can check on your progress just so you feel confident in your final result. I am sure you will be able to do it with all the good advice.

Just so I don't have trouble with bearings ever, I put a pair of bearing buddies on mine, and every 2nd or third trip I pump about 4 or 5 squirts of grease from the grease gun. Most people I tell this to are horrified, but I have not had to change bearings in about 5 years. Instead, after about 30 mins on the road, I jump out and feel the hubs. It's normal to be slightly warm, but too hot to touch means you have a problem waiting to happen. My left hub was a bit warmer than the other when I took the boat up to Hervey Bay, so I have a spare hub prepared, new bearings and grease ready to go on, just a matter of doing it one day.

Scalem

Scalem ....... I'm a fan of bearing buddies too ( & mine dont come off easily ..... so hard to pinch) ....... Gotta question the 5 years ...... Have you pulled them & inspected the bearings & sleeves ?
It may be overkill ..... but I'll replace mine on a yearly basis .......!!! , Nagg

tunaticer
28-10-2007, 06:07 AM
I replace my trailer bearings every year without fail. I have bearing buddies fitted and they get one pump after every trip. After a year the hub is completely packed with grease and i do a replacement of the bearings.

I did have a huge amount of problem losing bearing buddies (probably around a dozen sets) while travelling corrugated dirt roads along the way to good fishing locations. I fixed this by drilling and tapping 3 threads into the hub right near the edge and putting in small allen head bolts. Havent lost one since (about 8 yrs or 50 trips over long corrugated roads) but it does make the bearing change job about ten minutes longer tho.

Jack.

NAGG
28-10-2007, 06:51 AM
I replace my trailer bearings every year without fail. I have bearing buddies fitted and they get one pump after every trip. After a year the hub is completely packed with grease and i do a replacement of the bearings.

I did have a huge amount of problem losing bearing buddies (probably around a dozen sets) while travelling corrugated dirt roads along the way to good fishing locations. I fixed this by drilling and tapping 3 threads into the hub right near the edge and putting in small allen head bolts. Havent lost one since (about 8 yrs or 50 trips over long corrugated roads) but it does make the bearing change job about ten minutes longer tho.

Jack.

Good tip on securing those buddies Jack! ... Nagg

Vitamin Sea
28-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Scalem ....... I'm a fan of bearing buddies too ( & mine dont come off easily ..... so hard to pinch) ....... Gotta question the 5 years ...... Have you pulled them & inspected the bearings & sleeves ?
It may be overkill ..... but I'll replace mine on a yearly basis .......!!! , Nagg

Nagg

I have had bearing buddies on the trailer since I bought it from new, about 5 yrs now.

After every trip I put a couple of pumps of grease in, may be a little over the top with it....

Pulled off my left rear wheel a couple of weeks ago to replace inner seal that has been giving me grief for some time, the bearings still look and feel virtually new after 5 yrs.

Point being you should get at least 2 - 3 yrs out of the bearings if look after them and are correctly fitted in the first place, it's such a crappy job I wouldn't want to be doing it unneccessarily .

Cheers

NAGG
28-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Nagg

I have had bearing buddies on the trailer since I bought it from new, about 5 yrs now.

After every trip I put a couple of pumps of grease in, may be a little over the top with it....

Pulled off my left rear wheel a couple of weeks ago to replace inner seal that has been giving me grief for some time, the bearings still look and feel virtually new after 5 yrs.

Point being you should get at least 2 - 3 yrs out of the bearings if look after them and are correctly fitted in the first place, it's such a crappy job I wouldn't want to be doing it unneccessarily .

Cheers

I guess the other thing that comes into it is the distance travelled :-/ After just completeing my Qld trip (5200km +) on a new set of bearings ...... I'm very tempted to do them again:-/ ! ......... Yep .. I hate doing them too !!!! ..... Nagg

Roo
29-10-2007, 12:44 PM
bump .....Posted @ 2.42pm saturday.....so very close the very moment that i heard a horrible Squealing noise from my trailer.:(

Where were you blokes on saturday!!!!! I needed you!
after a fairly average session out of wello Myself and the Missus set off for Home (125ks away) only to get a few hundred metres before a bearing completely collapsed on my rig. I was stuffed if i knew what to do!! I wish I'd seen this thread on friday.....might have helped me figure out what to do.:o ::)

The seal has failed and allowed water in and as such resulted in the inner bearing self destructing. I do keep an eye on them but without much more than a visual check and feeling for any excessive heat, I'm a bit clueless as to what to do.:P
I managed to get a new bearing, grease and a set of spanners from the local servo...my on board tool kit didn't have a big enough spanner to get the Disc brake caliper off (lesson learned)

Nevermind, I know now. the stub axle seems to have some material from the bearing still attached (welded) to it, hopefully it won't cause too much trouble to remove.
many thanks go out to the RACQ for organising a tilt tray and the towie was very helpful. The whole lot is down at Leisure marine getting repaired, hopefully it won't be too serious.:'( .

Cheers Roo.

FNQCairns
29-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Posted @ 2.42pm saturday.....so very close the very moment that i heard a horrible Squealing noise from my trailer.:(

Where were you blokes on saturday!!!!! I needed you!
after a fairly average session out of wello Myself and the Missus set off for Home (125ks away) only to get a few hundred metres before a bearing completely collapsed on my rig. I was stuffed if i knew what to do!! I wish I'd seen this thread on friday.....might have helped me figure out what to do.:o ::)

The seal has failed and allowed water in and as such resulted in the inner bearing self destructing. I do keep an eye on them but without much more than a visual check and feeling for any excessive heat, I'm a bit clueless as to what to do.:P
I managed to get a new bearing, grease and a set of spanners from the local servo...my on board tool kit didn't have a big enough spanner to get the Disc brake caliper off (lesson learned)

Nevermind, I know now. the stub axle seems to have some material from the bearing still attached (welded) to it, hopefully it won't cause too much trouble to remove.
many thanks go out to the RACQ for organising a tilt tray and the towie was very helpful. The whole lot is down at Leisure marine getting repaired, hopefully it won't be too serious.:'( .

Cheers Roo.

I know how you feel! It's nothing but fear that keeps me looking after my trailer bearings, no cost is too great and no time not convenient - sorta sucks:'(

cheers fnq

Roo
29-10-2007, 02:32 PM
The feeling of helplessness was the worst......I had to leave the missus to guard the boat while i went searching for bits and tools in a fairly unfamiliar city. Thankfully i didn't have to go far.
On the bright side, after my weekend experiences and read through this thread I'm confident i can maintain them myself in the future. Until now I've relied on the service mechanic to repack them and after having the boat in for a service last week I'm a little disappointed that this wasn't picked up. I didn't ask him to repack them but I figured when your giving a boat a Once over and general service, an experienced eye would have picked up on something being amiss. I've recently been hearing a bit of a scuffing noise when turning to the right and just put it down to the disc pads rubbing lightly seems there was a bit too much slack in the system..oops! I know better now.
Cheers Roo.

themissus
29-10-2007, 05:15 PM
I did suggest, half in jest::) to find a internet cafe and log on to see who was online. Aaarh hindsight. :P It was a very empty feeling coming all the way home without the boat. One expensive squire we are having for dinner tonight.;)
Cheers Kim.

STUIE63
30-10-2007, 08:22 AM
The only thing I can add is a mate told me to repack bearings when the rego is due it is an easy way to remember to do it once a year
Stuie

Noelm
30-10-2007, 08:55 AM
if on a long trip with the Boat, I always carry a complete hub with pre greased new bearings fitted, so if any drama arises it is just a matter of replacing the whole thing, takes about 1/4 the time to do, then get another bearing and redo the old hub at your leisure (hopefully) another good idea is to keep a set of Surgical latex gloves in your car, you just put them on, do all the dirty greasy bearing/flat tyre whatever work, take them off and your hands are still clean, I guess there is very little else that can compare to the despair experienced when you are half way to your Holiday destination, traffic heavy as all hell, very hot day, the kids (and wife) uneasy in the car, because you are parked in a very dodgey spot, and you are wandering around the trailer that has suffered a wheel bearing failure, the car is loaded to the gunnels and the toolkit/spares were the first thing put in, under all that holiday stuff now! OH yeah, thats a start to the Christmas Holidays you will never forget.

DR
30-10-2007, 09:46 AM
here is a site that may be of help to some ...
[/URL]
[URL]http://www.reygarza.net/Bearing_maintenance.html (http://www.reygarza.net/Bearing_maintenance)

Roo
30-10-2007, 10:26 AM
cheers fellas, I've checked out the links.... looks easy!;) :P
I'll be having a more hands on role in my bearing maintainence from now on. Packed a new set and put them in the kit that goes with the boat for next time already. got a tub of grease and most tools necessary, just need to get a hammer, some emery paper, a punch and a bit of wood to work on and the kit is complete.
Cheers Roo.

Stainless Rusty
02-08-2010, 07:51 PM
For those still looking for a video of how its done have a look at this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQc9S06YRt0
this will get you going.