PDA

View Full Version : Mould on Bimini

Argle
22-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey Guys, got a bit of mould on the shiny side of the bimini, any ideas/suggestions as to whats best to clean it off with? Had thought maybe some sugar soap or some bathroom type cleaner might do the job but thought Id refer it to the experts to see what you guys reckon.

All thoughts appreciated
Cheers and Beers
Scott

MulletMan
22-05-2006, 01:19 PM
You can buy a special Canopy Cleaner from most decent marine retailers though mould can be a problem.

I wopuld steer clear of the really savage stuff from the supermarkets as they contain lots of bleach and stuff that can do damage to the canvas.

The weakness is not so much the pretty tough canvas but the stitching used in the trim and edgework, it will rot out very smartly if you use these products.

I use a product from Selleys in a blue bottle called Mould Remover that does a good job but I hose and soak the entire canopy for a long time to make sure I get it all out!

Probably better to have a few goes at it rather than try to get it all out in one hit!!

My missus tells me that straight vinegar is also worth a try (just add prawns)

BlitzBaga
22-05-2006, 07:18 PM
1 cup of pool chlorine to 1 cup of detergent to 12litres of water, this mix works fantastic, the chlorine stop the mould returning readily. It's up to you if you want to go a bit stronger.

Happy cleaning
Murray

Argle
23-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the hints guys, Ill give them a go on the weekend

Cheers and beers
Scott