PDA

View Full Version : What to buy then

pistonbroke
23-05-2006, 10:54 AM
After saving and working for 10 years to get a new boat I dont want to throw away 40k+.
Reading about play pen and wood rot in floors I didnt even look at the bayliner trophy.
Is there a manufacturer who builds boats without timber in or below the floor or in the transom.
I want something around the 19ft mark. It will probably be my last boat and will have to last a long time, im after fibreglass, cuddy or half cab, comfort and stability at sea

any ideas.. thanks in advance

Ben

MrWong
23-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Get yourself a Polycraft 5.3 Cuddy or 6m Cuddy...... no wood rot no electrolisis..... easy to maintain and repair.... value for money ..... rides like a fibreglass yet can take more bumps and scratches and never needs a repaint!
There are so many reasons why they are the goods.....

and yep I am biased :):) :)

pistonbroke
23-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Just spent an hour reading about them, they never entered my mind.
Will be kept in a shed, should keep it going for a long time and some great deals on sites and with all the extras im estimating coming in at around the 45k mark. Have you had any problems or concerns?

thanks Mr Wong

Ben

joey_1987
23-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Hey, check out the For Sale section of this site, there is a nice Haines 570 there, spot on your price range too, worth a look. Joey.

MrWong
23-05-2006, 12:56 PM
No problems what so ever here with my Poly 5.3 Centre Console. I would advise max hp fo rthe rating of the boat and go fourstroke... also power steering is a huge benifit with the heavy hull!
Give Martin Marine a call they are in Harvey Bay - Guarantee you will get the best bang for your buck there I shopped the entire east cost in regards to dollars and they were the goods.
There are heaps of posts on polys on here and there allways seem to be positive.
45 000 dollars would give you a fully fitted out brand new 6m poly cuddy with a suzi 4stroke and all the options

Regards
Norm

PADDLES
23-05-2006, 12:56 PM
i think allison boats don't use timber either

RayB
23-05-2006, 01:27 PM
My suggestion is to have a look at the poly's at a dealer. IMO I couldn't bring myself to buy one as the boat looked pretty ordinary close up. Not the best criteria for buying a boat but most of us want to be proud of how the boat looks.

cheers
Raymond

No offence meant to those poly owners who think their boat looks pretty special.

BrandonH
23-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I have been looking at boats around the 4.5 mark for awhile now and my no.1 perference so far is the poly. They are tuff, easy to maintain and are made of one material!! You must have seen the shot of the monster truck siting on top of 2 6mtr hulls on there site? thats something you wouldn't see someone doing with a fiberglass boat! I have only seen one that was decked out with options and it looked very smick compaired to a bare hull. the open hull poly boats are a little basic in looks but what about performance and ride? I haven't riden in one yet :( but have been out fishing with a guy in a 4.1 poly and dam it rode nice in the slop!! They do need a special trailer (full slides) and if you don't use one you could damage the hull. I have heard problems with the height of the wheel archs being to low to the wheel? this is the only negitive thing i have heard about them so far. I got a fishing/boating mag the other day that had a writeup on the new 5.3 worrior boat, worth a look I will check the name of hte mag tonight for you.

cheers
Brandon...

themisses
23-05-2006, 03:07 PM
We bought a poly 4.55 front runner second hand in Jan this year. I'm with MrWong they are a great boat. The captain is already drooling over the 4.8 to be released soon. As RayB mentioned the finish may not win any awards, but they are a great general purpose boat. They can also do wicked personalized colours if ordered from the factory. They are easy to maintain, tough as nails and you tend not to be as worried about scraching it etc. We are of the "once you've gone poly you'll never go back" Brigade!! ;)

MrWong
23-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Hey ray
No offence taken here:)
Personally I think my poly looks like a great big garbage bin..... it doesnt look like a show boat though it is super functional and performs like a 6m ally in regards to where it would go in the big waves!
Two years ago I would never #own a poly as #they look ugly....... #I went with my brain not my heart and #6 months in I couldnt be happier - cosmetically functional however as a fishing diving and family safe boat #its #just brilliant
In regards to finish and customer service.... #there are not many companies where the owner has a direct line to the factory at any time. Polycraft will take your call #Brad or Steve Cooper will help you in anyway they can at any time # and they are the men in the know.
Six months after I purchased Polycraft did a mod on the 5.3 ( they added a extra Bilge pump as standard fit)..... I recieved a $140 bilge pump and fittings #in the mail # no cost to me...... #That is what I call super customer service.
I was an ally boat man now I agree plastic is fantastic be it my boat or my lure!
Cheers

themisses
23-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Another bonus with the poly, boat trailer is not much good to anyone else and no rollers to flog!! ;D Cheers The Boss/Misses

pistonbroke
23-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys.
The more I read stories about glass and alloy boats and the problems (rot and electrolysis) they have, the more I'am leaning to the plastic.
I think any boat looks smick to its owner, I was playing with some pics of the 599 frontier and I think it would look great with a rocket launcher, bimini and clears. I primarily want something that is going to last the years away. You can read all the advertising and web sites and books you want, but to me the proof of the pudding comes from owners.

thanks again

Ben