PDA

View Full Version : Siezed gear shift

blaze
23-05-2006, 05:49 PM
picked up a 81 model 9.9 johnson today, hasnt been started for 18 months and had a few things siezed. Will have to drop the leg I feel. Gearbox oil is good and appears no problems with the box. I feel the linkage down the leg is siezed somewhere. So if any one can tell me how this linkage is connected from top to bottom, does it need to be undone to remove the leg. Thought I would throw the question up before I go looking.
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
23-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Blaze,

Undo all the bolts and let the box drop a bit..the join will be revealed...you will need 2 spanners to undo the coupling 7/16af I think

Garry

blaze
23-05-2006, 06:29 PM
thanks Garry
that may well present a problem if there is something siezed
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
23-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Blaze,

I think that model had a nipple under the shift handle or inside the cowl along the housing and possibly a grease nipple up the center of the shift shaft (looking from the side)which you could grease by pushing a grease gun hard onto and activating the gun.

From memory this is the only area that could seize, I would be heating this area with a hot air gun and greasing. Tap the shaft with a hammer etc.

Hope it come free for you

Garry

blaze
23-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi Garry
The legs off and the bloody thing is siezed where the shaft comes out of the box by the looks, had to get a little violent but no damage so far. Filled the cavity with crc to soak and see what the outcome is tommow.
cheers
blaze

blaze
23-05-2006, 09:21 PM
ok
its now unsiezed, no damage, water pumps good. Carbi off and perfectlly clean inside but whats with the metal/steel bowl on the bottom of the carbie cause that has some external rust, will have to prime and paint with cold galv after a sand blast.
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
23-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Blaze, back in them days they had to make parts that would dissolve so they had a parts turnover ::)

Good to hear shes all freed up...what ya gunna do with it??

Garry

blaze
23-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I Had order a 3.5 punt but there were a few issues with the deal in the end and it was muturally agreed between me and the builder we will look at it a bit later, so long story short. The same day I was out in the bush on a job and seen a 12 tinnie laying on a fence (you know the one, the grass needed cutting etc) so I asked the question. He said he was going to paint it and sell it, asked him how much he wanted for it and brought it. 12' with not a crack or ding in it (apart from 1 I put there getting it off the trailer) for $500, I thought that was pretty good for tassie, he then said theres a 9.9 johno that goes with, so theres the short version of it and what it will be used on.
cheers
blaze
ps
nice simple motor by the looks Garry

catchy_fishy
24-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Hi guys, mind if I join in the twosome ?

You both well ?

Blaze, as I'm always keen on watching these posts, and pursuing knowledge, would you mind posting a pic or two of the johnson, and the tinnie.

Mike

blaze
24-05-2006, 08:07 AM
will do Mike