PDA

View Full Version : Motor vibration at fwd idle

Daniel_Trenfield
23-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I've got a 435 Sea Jay Escape open tinnie, full floor, front & rear casting decks.

Motor is a 4 stroke 40 HP Yamaha. It's 3 years old.

I am finding an annoying vibration throughout the rear hull when the motor is in forwards, at low revs.

I've played around with idle revs, and lifted the floor to check for loose hoses.

Still no joy. Any body had similar dramas?

Dan.

blaze
23-05-2006, 07:53 PM
bent prop shaft, damage prop ?

Spaniard_King
23-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Is this engine a trim and tilt model.

Try triming engine up or down a pin hole if it's not a trim n tilt model. Or maybe the trim pin has fallen out :-[

Most engines will suffer vibration problems if the trim pin is missing or the engine is trimmed down hard

Garry

Daniel_Trenfield
23-05-2006, 09:58 PM
I bought it 2nd hand from N$$thside Marine a couple of months ago.

It has a wing & SS prop fitted. Outboard was sitting one bolt hole out from factory setting.

I would have thought if any thing major was bent, I would notice it at greater rpm????????

Any thoughts???

Hagar
23-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Worth runing a spanner over the motor mount bolts also . Some tinnie fit-ups use plywood backing plate under the motor which compresses after a while .

Chris

Mr__Bean
24-05-2006, 03:27 AM
Dantren,

Some questions to begin the elimination process:

1. Is the motor actually running rough when you feel the vibration?

2. Does the motor sound like it is missing a bit?

3. Does the motor sound fine but shake around?

4. Does the motor sound fine and not seem to shake either?

5. Are there any other characteristics of the motor performance that have changed?

- Darren

Tinn
24-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Mate I would tighten the engine mounts. I had the same problem with mine and I just tightened the mounts and problem was fixed ;) ;) ;)