PDA

View Full Version : What boat for $12,000

snapattack
24-05-2006, 10:38 AM
I only have a budget of about 12k for a boat. I would preferably like a fibreglass half cabin or cuddy. Something for the bay and outside when weather permits. 16-17 feet. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

SgBFish
24-05-2006, 11:05 AM
I believe if you are playing around the northern bay you need at 17ft. Your budget is tight for a glass boat that size and I'm presuming you are looking secondhand. The motors would need to be very closely looked at as well as every other aspect.

I'd be thinking a Haines hull like a 17R or if you can get it a 17L or even something like this:

http://www.trading-post.com.au/addisplay.asp?State=&sMsg=Search&origpage=1

I would really try and increase your budget beacuse I think for a few more dollars the boats get alot better. IMHO.
Let us know how you go. :)
Good luck.
Scott

Angla
24-05-2006, 05:46 PM
I think you are on the money for a private sale.

You should be able to pick up something around the 5.2 metre (17 1/2 feet) The haines are popular and the coxcraft is another that comes to mind. I would think you should be able to pick up something around fifteen years old. You might want to budget in some allowance to fix minor problems and adding some toys (around $2000) and then therefore start at a price of $10000 to $12000.

My first boat was a coxcraft rumrunner with a 1978 Evinrude 115 Hp for $7500.(8 years ago)
It had some small motor issues (coils) and I put on a GPS and new Fishfinder.
Keep in mind the trailer too and reduce the price with the more corrosion you see.

Good luck. and put up some pics of any possibilites for more scrutiny.

Angla

James_V17L
24-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Totally agree with Angla..you have a few good options around the 12K mark (buying privately that is)..
Unfortunately you wont get much at any boat yards for 12K.
Rumrunners are good value..V17's are a good option..my neighbour bought one recently for $9000 & its pretty tidy..I have even seen some cheap 1750L's around...
It can get frustrating tho..when I was looking around,with a similar budget,the boats I really liked were 20K +.. :'(
Good luck..

Dave
24-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi snap sent you a Pm about a Seafarer the father in law is selling.

Dave

1975fflh
24-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi

I have just upgraded from a 12 foot tinnie to a 5.2 metre Coxcraft rummrunner and i think its the ducks guts, i paid 9 grand for it but needed to do some bits and pieces to it,

Not much most of it is just replacing stern lights and batteries etc, Bloody rectifier looks like it gone as well, thats the only thing i didnt check was the charging system, i had a multimeter in the car and didnt use it.

Ebauy is good spot to start looking or the trading post.

now is a good time to buy as its winter and no competion

You'll get a reasonable boat with a mid to late 90s motor 70-115 hp for 12 grand in NSW.

look manly in and around retirement areas especially NSW south coast Nowra down as the old fellers retire buy new and as they get on a bit the big boats become too much but as its a retirement area not much of a second hand market as the new retirees spend their super on new.

Good luck