PDA

View Full Version : Are batteries for optimax and merc 4 stroke same?

mjc85
25-05-2006, 06:40 AM
I have my trailcraft on order and it is about 2-3 weeks away from delivery, the original quote was for a 75 four stroke, i decided this week to change to an 75hp optimax with smartcraft guage.

When i rang the dealer this week he tells me its an extra $480 for the smartcraft guages and an extra $100 for each battery (i'm getting dual batteries) to upgrade to a different battery.

The $480 for the smartcraft sounds believeable (is it ?) and the extra $100 for each battery doesn't, i feel as if he is having a lend of my since i've paid the deposit.

What do you think?

eugah
25-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Not 100% sure but it does sound like he may have forgot to include the batteries in the original price & is catching up now.
Price for the gauges sounds right.
Best bet is to contact another merc dealer

Adrian

GBC
25-05-2006, 10:59 AM
OPTI'S do require a very high cca rated battery. A four stroke will start off a deep cycle. Perhaps it might pay to check prior to completely writing him off.

C.J.

mjc85
25-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Perhaps it might pay to check prior to completely writing him off.

C.J.

Thats exactly what i'm doing here, i'm checking.

Wear_the_fox_hat
25-05-2006, 10:22 PM
MJC85,
Price for Smartcraft guages is good as I had been quoted up to $700 extra for these compared to standard guages. The prices for the batteries seem OK as they do need a very high CCA battery that also have a high AH rating. Can't remember the exact ratings. I ended up buying a 90hp E-TEC as one of the reasons I went to an E-TEC is you can still start & run the motor if your battery is dead. Also take note that a 75 Opti weighs 164kg & is the same motor as the 90 & 115 Opti, just de-rated by way of the computer program that is running it. It's a massive motor for a 75hp 2 stroke, but on the up side the Opti's are getting good reports if that's any compensation.

Have fun,
WTFH

mjc85
26-05-2006, 06:30 AM
I ended up buying a 90hp E-TEC as one of the reasons I went to an E-TEC is you can still start & run the motor if your battery is dead. Also take note that a 75 Opti weighs 164kg & is the same motor as the 90 & 115 Opti, just de-rated by way of the computer program that is running it. It's a massive motor for a 75hp 2 stroke, but on the up side the Opti's are getting good reports if that's any compensation.

Have fun,
WTFH

Thats alright, i dont mind a big engine. i reckon the e-tec's look funny because they are so small.