PDA

View Full Version : crossing bars

tunaman
19-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I live at tinncan bay and just move here and like fishing outside.
but I only have a 4.8m boat . Is there a safe way of crossing the bar.
Have plenty of skills with crossing them but I been told this one can
be tricky. or maybe dont worry about it
this is QLD fraser island bar sandystrait

flatstrap
20-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Crossing a bar is an acquired skill, but it's not rocket science! Many pro skippers are very capable and not scientists. Anyone can learn the theory of it and practice the principles. There is one non negotiable rule....YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE! Just like an aircraft skipper, the responsibility to yourself and crew is exactly the same.

If you must do this you must have two things:
a) A seaworthy boat (the best YOU can afford)

b) The acquired skill to do it
The reward is, you fish waters where others can't or won't get to.
Your call...flatstrap

onerabbit
20-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey tunaman,

the first thing you need to do is find a local who knows your bar. Every bar is different, all bars are dangerous.
If it can be organised, get your knowledgable local to take you out there, your boat or his/hers to show you first hand how the bar works.
While they are with you , do several crossings yourself, both in & out.
Once you have the theory, its up to you to put in the practice, not only on good days, but also on dodgy days too.

Once you are past the point of no return, thats it, never try to turn around in the middle of a bar, once you are committed , thats it, you are committed, so pick your moment wisely.

If in doubt, dont go out.

Muzz

flatstrap
20-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I remember about 20 years ago, doing research on this new type of boat called a Sharkcat, invented by Bruce Harris. He said, "There are three kinds of bars; Dangerous bars, Bloody dangerous bars and Very bloody dangerous bars."
I've never forgotten that. Nobody should either....flatstrap

tunaman
21-05-2006, 02:16 AM
Thanks boys, I went to fraser today and had a look at the bar from a safe
spot and watched a some boats of all sizes going in and out.
And then I here over the radio that a boat overturned there today.
So that didnt do my nerves any good, but I will follow your advice,
because I love my life, and love my boat even more!

sign tunaman

gawby
21-05-2006, 02:58 AM
I think you are talking about the wide bay bar between fraser and inskipp.
There are two ways out through that bar and unless you are shown and know where to go i suggest with your boat not being so big take it were cautiously.
If you go back through posts you will find a lot of onfo about bar crossings and that one as well.
Graeme

tunaman
25-05-2006, 03:02 AM
I have had close look at fraserisland bar, and not that keen for a fish!

sign tunaman

Smithy
25-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Wait for a few days of W or SW wind, make sure there is no swell and then get familiar with Fisherman's Gutter in your size boat. It is a channel that should stand out anywhere from 50m - 200m off Inskip Pt depending how the sand bars are. Look for the deepest dark coloured water and where there is no white water. Always go across on a run-in tide to the top of the tide. After a while just pick your low swell, light wind days.

finding_time
25-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Tuna man.

The wide bay bar can be bad but it is fairly predictable aswell ! Tincan bay coastgard can give you the way points to get through also most boats the enter or leave the bar give upto date reports.

Most of the local fisherman agree that once the SE swell gets above 1.5 meters you have to start taking alot of care,but ne swell doesn't seem to effect it as much. As Smithy says if you wait till the swell drops out and use the top of the tide you are not going to have a great deal of problems.

If it was me i would go and talk to the coast guard at tincan maybe even join and get some idea in there boats failing that go on a couple of chartes with Ed Falconer( Kealy rose charters) and get some ideas from him,catch some fish as well.

Be safe

Ian

snappa
25-05-2006, 11:36 AM
here u go

wide bay bar on a good day ......

pirate_pete
25-05-2006, 01:33 PM
This is Wide Bay Bar on a bad day

tunaman
25-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Pirate pete

Mate!

That pictures not helping. If I saw a wave like that i would shit myself

signed Tunaman

The_Tub
25-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Tunaman i think anywone that saw a wave like that coming at them would sh@t themselves all i can suggest is keep your wits aboat u,be patient,and no fish is worth your life or anyone elses

Mal

tunaman
25-05-2006, 10:31 PM
I have been overturned befour and a mate and I were pinned
under the water with the boat on top of us.
We were getting hammered by the sets and only a air pocket
at the bow that stopped us from drowning.
So the old saying is once bitten twice shi.
We were traped untill the currant pushed us off the bar into
deeper water.Its something you dont forget in a hurry.
So I will take my time.
I wont to know it like the back of my hand befour I try it.
And thank you all for your tips.

sign tunaman :-/

Smithy
26-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Fisherman's gutter, f#*k up and you are a 50-200m swim from the beach with a few beach goers to raise the alarm.

flatstrap
26-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Tunaman,
I was surprised to read that you have stuffed up big time before. I assumed that this was your first attempt to do bar crossings. With that previous history, what have you done from that day to now to improve your skill set?

If I was you, after a major stuff up, I'd be at the local VMR doorstep every morning to learn everything they can teach. Plus I'd enroll with the Corten (?) course of bar crossing to ensure it never happens again. Plus a bit of volunteer work with the VMR. You're V-e-r-y lucky to even be here. Although getting some tips from this forum is handy, I would go and seek an intensive and professional course to learn this skill. As someone said in this forum before (I cannot remember who)* "Don't learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade!"...flatstrap

*That quote is attributed to an Ausfish member from a previous thread. It is not my work.

tunaman
26-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Befour that day, I must of cross it a hundred times,after that day
I havent crossed a another bar in 19years,instead I go to ramps
that go strate out to sea,Iwas only 20 years old.
I was not driveing the 14 foot tinny that morning, mate was,I
was up that the bow keeping a eye out.
The sun hadnt come up yet but there was just enought light to
see and the swell only a metre and no white caps to be seen.
THen I saw humps out the back and they got bigger and bigger
then my mate saw these walls of water coming right at us.
He paniced and turned the boat around and power in but the tide
was going out and with 15 horses he realize no chance to out run them,so he turned back into them and just got front on with the first wave and up the face we went, it seemed forever to get to the top
by that time the bow was looking at the stars and we hit the water
first then the tinny and all the gear came down on top of us.
And today I still have a four inch scrar on my head were the bow split
my head open.lost everything and the tinny.

So you see y Iam not so keen.

sign tunaman