PDA

View Full Version : Muffs for Suzuki DF40/50

Tony_N
26-05-2006, 07:38 AM
I probably should have put this at the bottom of the thread on flushing - but thought it might get lost.

I have a standard set of rectangular muffs for this motor - but can't get them to sit tightly on the leg. I saw SNAPPA's post on Lucky Phil's gizmo (I think dfox might have been the originator of this) and I'm sure that would help. At the moment unless I hold the muffs with my hands, the best I can get out of the telltale is a dribble. A double dribble still wouldn't be enough. Has anyone found a set of muffs that fit this motor?

I talked to an agent and he reckoned just use a drum He didn't think forcing water in with a hose was as effective as using the tank. Sometimes though you just don't have a tank with you.

thanks

Tony

tim_flyin
26-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Hey Tony,

Most of the marine shops up this way (brisbane) sell those flush bags. I grabed one the other day and it works great, even has the hose fitting supplied to go on the bottom of the bag. The best thing is that they roll up and take up no room at all, for away from home trips.
I have been trying to find a link that I used to have, of a guy taking engine temps with muffs and in a drum or flush bag. The general wash up was that there is a definate risk of overheating if using the muffs for too long on some motors.

I grabbed the XXL bag which was $120 odd dollars, the smaller one are quite a bit cheaper. I think they range from $75 - $130. I know that they are not cheap, but still a fraction of the cost of repairs/new motor.

The beauty of this is that you can virtually let the motor run indefinately if you wish. I add in either inox or MACS and let it run while I clean the rest of the boat.

Hope this helps
Tim

Tony_N
26-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah thanks Tim - I'd better raid the bickie bin (again)

Tony

tim_flyin
26-05-2006, 09:52 AM
I know Tony, it never ends :-/.

Tim

billfisher
27-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Does it have the facility for a screw in flushing attachment? This what I use on my Suzuki 2 stroke 30hp. I get a much better flow of water than with muffs. If you are only getting a dribble out of the tell tale then you are probably getting nothing out of the exhaust and so are not flushing out all the cooling chambers.

Camo
27-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Tony do yourself a favor and buy a flush bag. I never use muffs to flush my motor anymore. I had them vibrate off one day when I was flushing the motor. I was in the boat and I didn't realise until I noticed the steam coming out of the tell tail. I don't know how long the motor was without water, but when I started it water still came out the tell tail okay. In any case I had the impellor replaced and the compression checked just for safty which cost me a lot more than the $120 for a flush bag.

I invested in a flush bag and won't use muffs ever again.

Camo

Tony_N
27-05-2006, 05:51 PM
billfisher - yeh I can buy an attachment fo it - and I have a big bin at home that I can use -- so maybe I'll use the plug in when I'm away. #I'll talk to my supplier.

Camo - I had thought that I'd go the flush bag but maybe the flushing attachment and the big bucket might be the go.

thanks fellas for your input #

Tony

Ratman
27-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Next door neighbour's wheelie bin's looking pretty good right now. ;) ;D ;D ;D