PDA

View Full Version : Merc 9.9  how good are they?

ahoj
28-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Merc 9.9 how good are they? anyone has one what are they like and how they idle?

Ahoj

joey_1987
28-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi, I used one on my old boat a couple of years back, but it was a 15hp, the 9.9-15hp use the same parts except for the carby jets and carbies I believe. It idled smooth and ran well and made my 3.4m tinny go well, but because the fuel tank was brand new and I was loaning this motor from a friend, tiny fragments of plastic from the fuel tank which were in the fuel ended up causing the motor to suddenly stop and constantly flood because it jammed the needle in the carby which controls the fuel flow. It ruined a beautiful summers day, I since have a Tohatsu on my new 3.95m tinny and it's great but not as smooth as the 15hp/9.9hp merc. The merc and johnson 15's are crossflow which makes them very smooth motors but slightly thirstier than the japanese 15hp loop charged motors, yamaha and tohatsu which dont run quite as smooth but use less fuel and give more power. Joey.

finga64
28-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Ahoj matey, you'll have a 20hp Honda on the back of the boat soon....smooth, economical, electric start and it'll easily get your boat up on the plain :)
Cheers matey
Scott :)

fishingrod
28-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Ive got a 1999 15hp Merc 2/
Its my aux motor so its doesnt do many hours. It runs great when ever i play around with it.... always starts easy and yes it idles fine.

It can be a tad smokey on start up .... but once warmed up and given a burst of revs it runs very cleanly

As Joey said, the 9.9 and 15hp are very similar. When i bought mine the 9.9 was the exact same weight as the 15hp.

Blackened
29-05-2006, 10:18 AM
G'day
I bought my 9.9 new in 2000. Have it on a 12' horizon. I give it a hard time and will run on 90% throttle and give me 6km/ltr. This is doing about 18- 19kts. These are a very smooth, light, bulletproof gutsy engine. I reccomend them 100%.
Dave

ahoj
29-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Thank you all for your valued information...

Finga my cat is never going to see 20Hp any motor My rule is ecconomy satisfactory speed safety and stability.. also no need for a licence and i am building another one ----need another 6 HP outboard even 5hp if it has F/N/R

I can sell the boats so easy because they are safe easy to get on( for older ladies and gents) so just mucking around and passing my retirement time....

Going to gold coast see hinze dam next week and Nareng river

Cheers Ahoj

finga64
29-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Excellent, enjoy ahoj :)