PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery Switch

Geoff_Atkinson
29-05-2006, 08:18 AM
On the weekend I decided that I would tidy up a few things on my boat, the battery wiring being the first.

I unscrewed the battery switch to get at the terminals to see if they needed cleaning and yes, all the brass screws and nuts were covered with green corrosion and all clogged up. I took it all apart and cleaned all the terminals with a wire brush and the nuta=s and wire fittings with parts cleaner.

I put it all back together the way I thought it should go:

Positive of Battery 1 to terminal marked Batt 1

Positive of Battrey 2 to terminal marked Batt 2

2 Positive wires to positive Bus Bar and motor controls on the third terminal.

Is this right?

I have set it up as above and the power will only work when I have the switch on both.

Could the switch be broken?

any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Geoff

rough_shag
29-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Yeah mate I just fitted a switch to my rig and it sounds like you have the wiring correct...pos to batt#1 and batt#2 switch terminals and the main power lead to the motor connected to the third terminal.
Sounds like a faulty switch.BIAS have a dual battery switch for $29 which seems good quality.
Good Luck.Jace.

Geoff_Atkinson
29-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Thannks Shaggy, I'll have to try to get a multi meter to check it out

Dignity
29-05-2006, 07:24 PM
2 Positive wires to positive Bus Bar

Geoff, don't understand this part, the rest sounds OK.

dnej
29-05-2006, 07:34 PM
And did you run earth on battery one to earth on battery 2, and run an earth from one of the batteries to a neg bus bar?
David

Grand_Marlin
29-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Open up the back of the battery switch ... they are very basic inside - just a thick copper contact that slides when you move the dial.

There may be corrosion.

If it looks dodgy, just buy a new switch.

Cheers

Pete

steveg1100
29-05-2006, 07:46 PM
He definately has an earth connected if it runs with switch on both. Has to be a switch problem if it only works in the both position.

Dignity
29-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Open up the back of the battery switch ... they are very basic inside - just a thick copper contact that slides when you move the dial.

There may be corrosion.

If it looks dodgy, just buy a new switch.

Cheers

Pete

I did this anmade the mistake of cleaning it. Had to reopen it and coat the switch with some conductive grease as when clean the copper would bind and couldn't hardly move the switch.

sam

Grand_Marlin
29-05-2006, 07:53 PM
cleaning it is not a mistake.

I coat everything with silicone spray or vaseline to stop corrosion reoccurring

But for $30 it usually pays to replace them.

Cheers

Pete

Geoff_Atkinson
30-05-2006, 08:12 AM
2 Positive wires to positive Bus Bar

Geoff, don't understand this part, the rest sounds OK.

Dignity,

My apologies, there are two positive wires running from the switch. One goes to the positive bus bar, the other to the engine.

Grand Marlin,

Many thanks for your input, it is, as always informative and much appreciated.

David and Steve,

Yes, my negative wires are all set up as that.

I think my solution to the problem may be to buy a new switch but, as the one I have got is one of the $30 specials and has only lasted 12 months, I may go for something a little more expensive and hope that the insides are protected better than this one.

Cheers,

Geoff

Dignity
30-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Pete, :-[ meant cleaned it but forgot to coat it - usually do. I have a conductive grease which I use.

Geoff, agree with Pete, but a new one.

sam