PDA

View Full Version : sea jay 3.5 nomad

metallica
29-05-2006, 01:53 PM
hi all,

I am considering buying a sea jay 3.5 nomad, to set up as a car topper for bass fishing.. i want to put a 6hp yamaha on the back but am wondering if this will be a big enough motor?

cheers, Dave

Argle
30-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey Dave, mate it would push it along o.k but might be a bit underdone if you were carrying much gear or pushing against tide and wind etc. Whats the Max Hp rating for the hull? I would have thought about 9.9 would be a minimum and it would really fly with a 15hp 8-) Depends on the HP rating for the transom though.

Cheers and Beers
Scott

joey_1987
30-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey, maximum hp for this hull is 15hp, if it was me, I would go 15hp. Even if you don't use all the power all the time, it's better to have a motor working less and revving less but still giving you a good cruising speed, and for when you need to get somewhere really quick or carry some extra gear, the 15hp will handle it no worries. Of the 15hp's, I like the Yamaha 15hp and Tohatsu 15hp, they weigh basically the same, yammie 36kg and tohatsu 37kg, and the tohatsu has 247cc cylinder displacement vs 246cc for the yamaha. They are really very similar engines, and these will power your hull effortlessly and use not much fuel at all. Being loop charged, versus crossflow for johnson/evinrude and mercury 15hp 2 strokes, the loop charged motor uses less fuel and provides more power than the cross flow motors, but the cross flow motors idle a bit smoother than the loop charged ones. Hope this helps. Joey.

TheSaint
30-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Rec. HP/10
Max. HP/15

With a 6hp it will be abit underpowered..

metallica
30-05-2006, 01:10 PM
kewl, thanx for the advise guys. wats a 15hp 2 stroke yamaha retail for?

cheers, Dave

FishMarket
30-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi Dave, I had a look at 3.5m Nomad, 15hp Yamaha Short Shaft, Redco Galv Trailer, Rego and Safety gear and the price was about $5000. Less $1000 if you don't want the trailer. I don't know how this compares to anywhere else or if the Hull is comparable to a Quintrex but think you would be a bit underpowered with a 6hp.

metallica
30-05-2006, 02:53 PM
that sounds like an awsome deal, i was going to be spending about $4000 anyway so yea.. where did you see it for that price FishMarket??

cheers, Dave

INDULGENCE
30-05-2006, 03:06 PM
hey dave
we have a 3.5m seajay barra punt that we use as a car topper and general run about/ dinghy to the offshore beast.
it has a 15 hp johnson and this pushes the two of us along faster than necesary. We are both are over 100kg
Max hp recommended is 15 and weight loading 235kg
The barra punt is the nomad with flat floor
Paid $4900.00 all up new last July
Think you would be happy with the nomad with 15hp if you can get it

Wally

bushbeachboy
30-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Go the 15 mate. Definitely not the 6. The boat will be under powered and a real pain to drive. You might not need all 15 horses, but you will be glad you've got them. The fuel consumption will still be very low.
Cheers mate
Craig

kilo11
30-05-2006, 04:32 PM
mate i have been looking at a lot of boat motor combos latley and if it was me i would definatley get a 15 hp 2 stroke suzuki or yammie ,if u are going to lure fish u will need some type of floor even just a little one so u dont twist your ankle when standing on a rib when it was wet floor=more wait dont just think of todays boating plan well in advace. get the 15......gotta seajay myself.

metallica
31-05-2006, 11:09 AM
thats awsome guys, thanx for all this advise. i currently have about $4000 saved up but as i am only 15 at the moment i cant really get a 15hp as i dont have a license. i am turning 16 in two months time though (which i think is the legal age to get a lisence?) so i think i will just wait off a bit until ive got the license and then buy the boat and motor. that will give me a bit longer to work for money too, so i will have a bit more to put on the boat ;)

cheers, Dave