PDA

View Full Version : How strongs the tell tale?

gropeher
02-06-2006, 10:50 PM
I have a Yamaha 100hp 4 stroke and the tell tail shoots out but does not seem to have a huge amount of force behind it, however in saying that have never had any problems with the motor.

However while on my mates boat last weekend with a 2 stk Tohatsu, I noticed the tell tail shoots out very strong about 1.5m from the transom.

With mine, I have too stand back a touch to see her due to the tell tail being a bit lower, but the force the water is expelled at is alot less, is this a problem? or can it be expected just to come out at what I would call a medium pressure, not a dribble, full flow but lower pressure than my mates, which seemed, full flow and full pressure.

Cheers Ryan.

PS The motor runs sweet though and never a problem, just curious as to others thoughts and experiences.

Mr__Bean
02-06-2006, 10:57 PM
My 225F Yammy is only a piddle.

On my previous motor a Merc 200 it was a strong flow, but this one is low flow.

I too enquired about it but was told it was normal.

- Darren

charleville
03-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I noticed the tell-tale on my 60HP 4-stroke Merc diminish a bit over time so I poked at the outlet hole a bit to get out the bits of weed or whatever impeding the flow. #No problems now - jets out quite strong.

I guess that all sorts of debris cane be sucked in and can block the passage somewhere.

Spaniard_King
03-06-2006, 06:20 AM
A good chance ya tell tell tales have been filling up with grit.

If you have an air compressor give it a squirt of air when you are flushing her on the muffs

Garry

hussy
03-06-2006, 08:08 AM
my 40 four stroke yammy used to gush out even at idle, but some times it was slow so i would get a peice of trace wire and wiggle it up the telltale and out would come the shit and back to good. give it a try when running. hussy

MulletMan
03-06-2006, 09:14 AM
If ever I have a prostrate problem, I'm sure as hell not going near any of you guys!! :-/ :-/

wayne_cook
03-06-2006, 09:18 AM
better off out than in

griz066
03-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Had the same problem with my 90 Johnson, just felt it was not right and this worried me. Took it to mechanic, the seal between the leg and the power head was busted, new seal, checked water pump impellor, 2 new thermostats $185.00 total and no more problem. Was worth it to me for peace of mind.