PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from engine Temp light on Oh no!

mickstar001
02-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Headed out to Mud island yesterday avo and my motor (40HP 2str Yamaha)started running really really rough with lots of smoking and carrying on. So i immediately turned her off, started her back up again a few moments later and the red temp warning light came on ( at the same time as we were in the middle of the shipping chanel hehe).

Looked in the water to see literally thousands of small jellyfish/bluebottles. Immediately hopped on the phone to Stones Corner Marine asking for advice and they suggested i try to start her up again. After this she purred like a kitten. I did notice a plastic bag was very close to my boat at the time, and combined with the bluebottles im guessing this may have caused the problem?? Anybody had any similar type of problem??

Thanks to the guys at Stones Corner Marine too - very helpful to an unexperienced chappy like me ;)

MIKOS
02-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Sound like you did the right thing and shut her down straight away.

You were very lucky she didnt seize up.

Glad to hear its going okay again anyway.

Mike ;)

Tinn
02-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Was there water coming out of the water outlet hole on the engine? It is important to always check there is water coming out of there and if there is not shut it down straight away. Sounds like the jelly fish or plastic bag blocked the water intake. Glad it all turned out okay for you

fishn-ads
02-06-2006, 04:26 PM
The tell tale will always tell a tale. I got myself into the habit of having a look at it every 5 minutes (when the motors running of course).

Ads

Boz
02-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Mate.

Havn't had the displeasure myself but a fellow i was chatting to through work had a plastic bag totally stuff an almost new stern drive!

Thank god for insurance!!!

charleville
03-06-2006, 10:07 AM
The tell tale will always tell a tale. I got myself into the habit of having a look at it every 5 minutes (when the motors running of course).

Yeah - I check mine pretty frequently also - although perhaps not that frequently.

mickstar001
03-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah i should really get into that habit - i think i may have even heard a beeping sound aswell coming from the motor when the red light was on??? Time to bring out the manual perhaps - second thoughts nah im male ha ha. Thanks for your concerns anyway fellas!