PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Johnson 50 outboard

boat_1
03-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, these outboard motors are new to me. I am getting no water out of the telltale on the motor. I have run it for a couple of minutes, but still nothing. I turned it off then went to start it again, but there is a buzzing noise coming out of the controls, i take it that means not to start it, does anyone have any ideas. I saw the motor running when i purchased the boat a month ago, it was pumping water fine then???

Thanks in advance.
Andrew.

Spaniard_King
03-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi Andrew,

explain to us how you are supplying water to the engine ie are you running it on the muffs and no tell tail or are you running it in water (creek, river etc)

If it is the muffs, they can be a problem. you need to make sure they are properly positioned over the intakes to the water pump and a good flow of water is present(flat out)

If it has no tel tail in the river then you have a water pump issue and this needs to be serviced by a suitably qualified person.

It is most likely the alarm you mention is the over heating alarm, I am sure that if you try it tomorrow the alarm will have reset and the engine will start as per normal but you will still have the water pump/tel tale issue which will only overheat the engine again

What area do you live in?

cheers

Garry

boat_1
03-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Garry, Thanks for the reply. I am using the muffs, i just had a mate have a look, he cant get his motor to push water either. We are both living in the same area, the water pressure is useless. He suggested i cut down a plastic drum to run it in, he said it's the only way to flush his engine. It was the overheating alarm that activated. I will take it up to the Pine River tomorrow & run it in the water. Hopefully problem solved.
I am in Eatons Hill, nortside of Brisbane.

Cheers.

Andrew