PDA

View Full Version : help with making 40hp go quicker

warrior
02-06-2006, 06:27 PM
need help with someone who can put me onto somebody who can change the carbies from a 50hp merc and put them on my 40hp merc its a 2000 model 3cyl, i have heard this can be done hopefully.and where would i find these carbies.any help would be great.cheers AL

Spaniard_King
02-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Al,

Any marine mechanic should be able to fit them. As far as finding them goes...good luck :o Basically you need to find a wreck that has the right carbies, I would then have them stripped and checked as it could have been them that caused the wreck ::)

A costly excersise as you are most likely going to pay %50 of RRP for a second hand set, add the repair work...almost adds up to buying them new. One thing, have you checked to see that the 50 carbies arnt the same size but just jetted differently?

Garry

PS I think theres more to making 50hp out of a 40 than just the carbies :-? Exhaust tuning plays a big role in 2 stroke performance>

blaze
02-06-2006, 08:13 PM
bit inclined to agree with Garry on more than carbs, I am let to believe that its the exhaust timing that is also different, the exhaust ports in a different hieght in the bore. So when you read motor specs you see all specs on the motor being the same, bore and stroke etc but you never get the real specs on the motor like jet size, port timing, port size etc
cheers
blaze

MulletMan
02-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Um, maybe you could just put a super cupped Stainless prop on the old girl - that is usually good for a bit more poke if you get the right one!

7% improvement in efficiency I vaguely recall!

Burley_Boy
02-06-2006, 08:27 PM
saw the post title and I thought you were after people to help you paddle.
Sorry wrong post then...

warrior
02-06-2006, 09:05 PM
thanks men sounds like there is more to it than just carbs might as well get a new one,just have to think of a good reason to tell the little lady

DR
02-06-2006, 09:52 PM
asked the same question at Springwood marine a while back, same motor, said you have to change carbies & reed valve stems?? or something, all became blah blah blah when he said carbies cost $1200 to buy (new) + the rest,

can get same in Canada for around A$670 + shipping

nevd
04-06-2006, 10:39 AM
If the engine you are discussing is the Tohatsu sourced one, then discuss with a Tohatsu dealer as the later model 50 an 40 motors had very few differences - earlier 40's used smaller carbs, but I understand later ones used same carbs for production economies.

Do some searching as there was an earlier discussion (approx 6 months ago) on the same subject.