PDA

View Full Version : TRIM TABS. DO THEY WORK?

waykel
25-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi Boys and girls. I would like to hear your thoughts, and experiences, on trim tabs for boats over 6 mtrs. Hydraulic and electric.
Cheers ;)
Waykel

MulletMan
25-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Got a pair of electric/hydraulic Bennett tabs on my seven metre Whittley Cruisemaster and absolutely magic.

Nor necessary on a Cat but on a Mono, the are worth every cent!

Most large vessels tend to heel into the wind due the side superstructure and the "angle" of the lean can get around the ten or fifteen degrees if you also have an unfavourable seas running.

Don't leave home without 'em!

ozscott
25-05-2006, 12:02 PM
agreed for 20 foot seafarer vagabond 70's heavy - fair wack of weight aft. Lots of wind effect from height of cab and canopy. A wing helped (SE SPORTS) to a certain extent, particular hole shot, but not with getting it right into chop. Took wing off and put on a set of 150 bennett - hydraulic. Never looked back - magic. Full and instant control - can get trim just right. Wind sheer is no longer a drama. Easy to fit and strong. Great backup as to installation and, it seems, although no personal exp. warranty.

Very doubtful that I would have another 20 + footer without them

waykel
25-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Do they stop a bit of porposing and bow slap, pounding, as they say :question

ozscott
25-05-2006, 04:13 PM
on mine it killed it nicely! They really are brilliant. If you want to know the ducks nuts about them go to thehulltruth.com and look at the bennett trim tab forum - ask qs of the Tab Man

toymod
26-05-2006, 08:04 AM
yes they work ;)

rwells9999
27-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Iv'e got my Bennett trims tabs on a 5.6mtr Bar Crusher. Being a deep 'V' the thing listed to port but with the trim tabs on soon brought it level. I also bought the Automatic trim tab computer which quite frankly I could have done without. Dont use it at all and wasted $700. Trim tabs fantastic. Now saving my bucks for a Autopilot.

Robin

rwells9999
27-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Iv'e got my Bennett trims tabs on a 5.6mtr Bar Crusher. Being a deep 'V' the thing listed to port but with the trim tabs on soon brought it level. I also bought the Automatic trim tab computer which quite frankly I could have done without. Dont use it at all and wasted $700. Trim tabs fantastic. Now saving my bucks for a Autopilot.

Robin

waykel
27-05-2006, 03:08 PM
on mine it killed it nicely! #They really are brilliant. #If you want to know the ducks nuts about them go to thehulltruth.com and look at the bennett trim tab forum - ask qs of the Tab Man
HAVE FOUND THE LINK, WILL READ IT WHEN i GET SOME TIME. tHANKS MATE. sITE HAS SOME GOOD STUFF ON IT.
cHEERS ;)

Lobster48
04-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Costs a lot less to stow the boat correctly and get the weight evenly distributed.

Just a thought. More money saved to spend on fishing gear the better I say