PDA

View Full Version : please help rewiring tinny

plugger43
04-06-2006, 05:46 PM
just bought a second hand tinny that needs rewiring would anyone have photos or able to explan where they have put there switch board and how have they waterproofed it any help would be great. 4.1 open tinny.

Heno
04-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Plugger43,
have seen some made from ply that incorporate a splash proof switch panel and a storage area beneath for phone/keys mounted just in front of the rear seat and covered in carpet to tidy things up. depending on height you could also mount a sounder on top to keep it all in one area and out of the way.

plugger43
04-06-2006, 07:26 PM
thanks for your reply but i should have explained that there are no standard seating there are only pod seats and that the flooring is the same all the way through the boat. under the gunel seems the only place that i can put the switch board

blaze
04-06-2006, 07:40 PM
You could buy the largest battery box, the ones with a lid. Have a frame welded in to sit it on. Then fit a smaller battery in it and mount all your switches and accesories on the box. Then when you get home you only need to pick it all up and remove.
cheers
blaze

Heno
04-06-2006, 07:50 PM
you could try fabricating a box from alloy/ply and placing on the opposite side to any seating for ease of access and mount/weld at the transom. this would keep everything in one spot and give extra storage. I find anything mouted around the gunnel gets bumped or broken pretty quickly.

Blackened
04-06-2006, 09:03 PM
G'day
I bought a waterproof 4 gang switch panel $32ish and mounted it on the lid of a little decor food storage box. This box houses all the fuses/wiring and has some corrugated tubing coming into the side of it, whilst being bolted up under the rear cross braces that run from gunnel to transom on the inside of the boat. Let me know if you want a pick. Been on quite a few years now and still goin strong. Must me by engineering skills and workmanship ;)
Dave

plugger43
04-06-2006, 09:25 PM
thanks dave, would appreciate a pic, that would help a lot ;)

dop
04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi PLUGGER 43
When i had my 435 plain jane Hornet,i bought a6 switch splash proof panel,went to Woolies and bought good quality clear lunch box,attached panel to thick plastic lid ,drilled holes to accomadate wiring and fuses ,attached box about a arms length from my sitting position below the gunwhale,reinforced the box with a cut piece of plastic bread board,attached box to one of the rib supports with stainless steel screws and then attached the snap on lid.This box ran the nav lights,fishfinder and radio, . Make sure you get the proper marine grade wireing
Had no problems,nice and solid ,very waterproof and of course able to see all wiring connections thru the clear plastic top,i did this also with the radio to waterproof it
Hope this will help you
Peter

Grand_Marlin
05-06-2006, 12:30 AM
G'day Plugger,

The boys have the right idea ... waterproof switch panel and waterproof box.

I have mounted a couple in similar fashion, but used the grey electrical junction boxes, available from any electrical supply shop such as ideal electrical, turks etc etc.

These are strong, UV resistant, and have a waterproof o ring seal.

Cheers

Pete

Blackened
05-06-2006, 08:55 AM
G'day plugger
Do you have a phone that will accept photos? If so just pm me your number and i'll send a couple through.
Dave

Blackened
05-06-2006, 09:08 AM
G'day
This is the best picture I have of it at the moment. Let me know if u are after any more,
Dave

Poseidon
05-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Maybe some info here that could help.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1131708642/6#6

plugger43
05-06-2006, 03:57 PM
thanks everyone for the help i think i have it sorted

Seahorse
05-06-2006, 06:01 PM
just put in new switches. went to bias and bought 4 switch panel and they have proper sealed waterproof boxes for about $25. they are fantastic.