PDA

View Full Version : What boat to get

j-tyson
20-05-2006, 09:31 AM
I am in the process of selling my Southwind UB580. I am going back to a 5 meter tinnie, I have narrowed the choice down to a Quintrex 480 top ender or a 485 Trailcraft profish. I haven't had anything to do with the Trailcraft before but they are a great looking boat.

Can anyone give me some feed back on these boats.

Thanks JT

bushbeachboy
20-05-2006, 02:29 PM
F & B Magazine did a special on Trailcraft not long ago. Not sure which model, but it was a side console.

Daniel_Trenfield
20-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I've seen both & I'd say the Trailcraft is better quality, & a better layout.

The current Quintrex boats lose a lot of side strorage once side flotation is fitted. Nor do I like the
plasticky moulds throughout.

The Quintrex might appeal to some if cup holders are a priority, but the Trailcraft is a much better fishing boat.

Hope this helps,

Dan.

Gbanger
20-05-2006, 02:45 PM
hey j tyson, ive never been in either boat, but my general opinion is that trailcraft makes a very solid boat...

i think a lot of people are tending to steer clear of that q-word

megafish71
20-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Don't touch that Quintrex rubbish. If you want a good honest little boat go the trailcraft.

Enough said.

Ron

timddo
20-05-2006, 10:02 PM
The trailcraft boat has the following features whicht the qunnie doesn't have

self draining deck - no bilge pump require.
plate alloy construction.
4mm hull 5083 material
dive ladder
transom door.

the trailcraft is heavier than qunnie.

thats mine opinion.

timddo
20-05-2006, 10:02 PM
The trailcraft boat has the following features whicht the qunnie doesn't have

self draining deck - no bilge pump require.
plate alloy construction.
4mm hull 5083 material
dive ladder
transom door.

the trailcraft is heavier than qunnie.

thats mine opinion.

MTS_-_fish_magnet
20-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Out of interest, why are you dropping boat sizes?

I'd go Trailcraft.

RayB
21-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Top Question JT,

I spent 5 months trying to make my mind up between the Quintrex Top Ender and Trailcraft Profish. I ended up choosing the Trailcraft for following reasons,

- plate aluminium and stronger 4mm sides instead of 3mm.
- self draining deck
- no mickey mouse moulded plastic sides. They look OK but how will they look in 3 years time and they also take up valuable storage space.
- Aluminium floor instead of ply wood.
- Much larger live fish well. 100ltrs + compared to 72ltrs. The trailcraft only supplies a kill tank as standard but I am getting mine plumbed. Also has additional live bait tank in the transom.
- Better seats as standard.
- I am a big bloke and in the drivers seat I can turn round 360 degrees in the trailcraft but can only turn 180 degrees in the Quinnie. This is a great asset when the driver is fishing as well. The drivers seat position in the trailcraft is designed for a standing driver but I am getting a slider put in so that it is confortable for both standing and sitting while driving.
- Better trailer than the ones I saw under the Quinnies. Trailcraft supply boats with their own trailer which looks the business. I-Beam etc.
- Good write up in the magazines. Although the same could be said about the Quinnies.
- too many messages on the forums about the build quality of the quinnies. Cracked welds etc. I want a boat that is going to last a long time and Trailcraft gave me that confidence.
- Trailcraft was marginally dearer but not by much at all.

The only negatives that I can see is that the console is more industrial than the quinnies but that doesn't worry me. The boat is also heavier than the Quinnies but that is because it is plate aluminium. The trailcraft just seems like a much more serious fishing boat.

I only saw my new boat at the dealer for the first time on Friday but I am also impressed with the fact that the dealer has remember of the extras I wanted and trust me there was a good list.

Hope this helps.
Raymond

wayne_cook
21-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I've owned 2 trailcraft (currantly 5m run.)and all your points are valid and i think quineys run a long second on the things I consider important to me. ;)

The problems I find with t.c. are, shocking paintwork >:( and they are pretty wet in any sort of side wind or traveling sideways to chop. :(

looking to upgrade again?

I do fish some ordinary conditions but.

Hope this helps
Bear

timddo
21-05-2006, 07:09 PM
brrbear,
i agree with spray, but if you get a fully enclosed bimini with rocket launchers, there is no spray, i've got a 4.85, just a tad smaller but it seems to do well, i would prefer a bigger boat, but the boss said thats your budget, go get your boat. brr have you done bar crossing on your boat b4??

j-tyson
21-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Unfortunately or fortunately depends which way you look at it. My wife and the family are at the stage where I can't get out on the water without them, so out goes the centre console and in comes the 5 meter job with a bimini. With the longboat I have never run it up a boat ramp it has always been driven on and off the trailer, were I can pull the tinnie up on the ramp to get the car.

If someone has tips on how to get the wife to reverse a trailer I am open to suggestions. The longboat is a fantastic boat but my needs have changed.

Thanks for all the tips. JT

Coontakinta
21-05-2006, 09:19 PM
JT b4 settling on the Trailcraft have u had a look @ Seaquest? Also a WA built plate alloy without the production line build thus can have greater flexibility and input in the layout.

Like brrbear paintwork could do with some improving (seems to mark and chip easily) and can be wet when beam on, but i guess being plate and not being able to shape as well as sheet, its to be expected!

Also found them to be cheaper than Trailcraft also, with better seating. The hulls look very similar except the Trailcraft has clinker style sides as opposed to a flat side on the Seaquest.

wayne_cook
21-05-2006, 09:51 PM
timddo yea mate have bimini but is a pain to put up & down also I do a bit of spinning & its allways in the way.Just would be nicer if the boat was dryer they mustn't have much wind in WA.
Crossed plenty of bars but nothing to hairy like ballina.

When I dealt with trailcraft getting the boat built they were very helpful with extras and personal requests such as raised steering(easier to steer whilst standing, rounded keel for beach launching removable ladder for easy access no hand rails on gunnel just personal things like that)but now I don't think u get the 1on1 with the builder.

coonatinka I went through many dealers for price and they varied greatly.
Dolphin & razorline boats are another couple of wa manu. worth checking out

Bushfrog
23-05-2006, 06:09 PM
i need a boat that is light and highly portable for a trip around the block. has anyone ever used a portaboat for river and estuary fishing (31kg for 3.8m version)? what was it like? would it survive in 2-3 meter waves offshore?

wayne_cook
23-05-2006, 06:42 PM
yea bushfrog it's called a mal ;D ;D

na sorry mate carn't help

seabug
23-05-2006, 06:49 PM
i need a boat that is light and highly portable for a trip around the block. has anyone ever used a portaboat for river and estuary fishing (31kg for 3.8m version)?
what was it like? #

Hi Bushfrog,
I have one of those and am quite pleased with it . :) :)
Having said that ,that is using it within its limitations.

Turning around side-on to a 18inch chop on Twofold Bay at Eden really tested my confidence.

would it survive in 2-3 meter waves offshore? #:o :o :o :o

Yes it would.
The boat floats. ;)
But the crew better learn to swim,FAST.

You really should be looking at a 4.8m+ boat in those conditions.

Hell, thats 2.5 m higher than the dreaded NQ chop ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

regards
Seabug

j-tyson
23-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Coontakinta- do you have a web address for seaquest boats, thanks.

Does anyone know much about fisher boats from Bribie Island.

Thanks JT

Camo
24-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Fishers are top boats. Col from Fisher advertises on this site and often posts pics of his completed boats.

Camo

j-tyson
05-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Camo, how does the price compare to the trailcraft.

Cheers JT

timddo
05-06-2006, 09:07 PM
i contacted fisher boats for a price quote on a 4.8 runabout. it's around 32 mark. with kill tank, live bait, etc. a bit expensive for me, so i went for trailcraft only $27500 with basically everything i needed. big price difference. but you get what you paid for. If i can afford another 5, i would go for fisher.
trailcraft seems to be a solid hull. with trailcrafts you have a lower freeboard, but it's becoz of self draining decks,

timddo
05-06-2006, 09:20 PM
i contacted fisher boats for a price quote on a 4.8 runabout. it's around 32 mark. with kill tank, live bait, etc. a bit expensive for me, so i went for trailcraft only $27500 with basically everything i needed. big price difference. but you get what you paid for. If i can afford another 5, i would go for fisher.
trailcraft seems to be a solid hull. with trailcrafts you have a lower freeboard, but it's becoz of self draining decks,

j-tyson
06-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Timddo, do the fisher boat have a standard side console similar to the trailcrft. Do you know if you can move the sit down console to the middle of the boat.

Cheers JT

Camo
06-06-2006, 10:13 AM
JT, If you haven't done so already have a look at the fisher website.http://www.fisherboats.com.au/. They have a section with photos of their boats. Last year Col sent me a CD with all his boats on it and there is a huge range of configurations you could look at.

Mate I couldn't give you any idea of prices. You would be better off contacting Col and getting a quote, if you wanted. I don't own a fisher and have no connection to the company in any way.

As far as trailcraft are concerned they have a good rep, however I have also heard stories of paint problems and crackes in welds and minor problems with the transom. Don't let that put you off, when you think about it cracks and paint can be repaired and Trailcraft boats look pretty darn good, even if they do look like a Quintrex. Look at all the problems that have been exposed with Quintrex. They still sell lots of boats, and I guess if you buy one you just take your chances. I've owned three of them in the last twelve years and had no major problems, and although I won't buy another, I couldn't in all conscience say they are a bad boat.

Best of luck with your boat buyingn have fun.

Camo

j-tyson
06-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Thamks Camo, I'll givr him a call.

JT