PDA

View Full Version : Helped Stranded Jet Skier Today

thepartyisover
04-06-2006, 08:57 PM
I was fishing the Wellington Point Banks today with my old man chasing the odd flathead, when a few jet skiers started buzzing around us. I don't mind the skis, when they go out and find some quite place away from everyone to play around, but the bloody show-offs that think everbody has all eyes on them and buzz around boat's and jetty's really get on my goat >:(. Sometimes I've #wished that I had one of those berley repelling sling-shots to lob a few sinkers thier way. Any this one was riding around me for 20mins or so when he broke down ;D ;D ;D, funny hey???. The rider started waving his arms around in the air to grab my attention, after about five minutes of making out that I was totally blind ::), the young fella looked like he was about to do the old swim and pull. I then told the old man to pull anchore and headed his way to assit, we pulled him along side to the boat ramp then left him to it. Point being, if I was'nt such a nice boatie, I think that the young fella would have had a long cold swim ahead of him ;). Alot of disgruntled boaties may have left him.

Cheers Steve

blaze
04-06-2006, 09:32 PM
You done the right thing, good on ya
but I would like to think no matter how big of a prick was broken down at sea they wouldnt be left to the perils they may face, but rest asured I would certainly have a captive audience on the way back to port that would quickly see the merrits of his way was not the correct approach
cheers
blaze

marlinqld
05-06-2006, 06:00 AM
here here

As an active working member of the VMR, it is grilled into us to help anyone who needs help at sea. And thats in my nature anyway, as i hope someone would help me if needed.

However, sometimes there are p***** who you really feel like leaving to swim home.................. The idiot things you see done at sea.

Bugger all petrol, overloaded boats. going out in big winds......... never ceases to amaze me.

TheSaint
05-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Good work mate! Nice to see that you will help a stranded vessel at sea.. :)

Jeremy
05-06-2006, 07:15 AM
I would have left him until I was ready to go back in myself. Couldn't have been more than a km or two from the shore, and you could keep an eye on how far he had swum #;D while you keep fishing.

And I love Blaze's idea of giving him a lecture while you tow him back.

Jeremy

Dirtysanchez
05-06-2006, 02:12 PM
100% agree with Blaze, I would certainly have had a good chat with him about their attitude while he wasn't in a position to argue ::)

Good on you though, at the end of the day what goes around comes around, I have been towed home and have towed others home. In fact recently at Hervey bay an 18foot Hobie tipped and the mast snapped, and they were both in the water and cold !

Despite only beinig a 420 dory with a 30 I gave it both barrels and finally righted the cat (tide and wind opposing) and then towed them to the ramp.

They were very relieved to be safe and able to dry off and make it home
That in itself is a reward

Darryl
05-06-2006, 02:36 PM
It was probably Goatboy. ::) ;D

Darryl.

Grunter71
05-06-2006, 03:17 PM
You should have called the VMR on his behalf.

That way you don't incur any liability for towing him. ie. if you scratch his craft, drown it, run it over etc, he can't sue you.

It would have been nice to stay in the area to offer any assistance should he need it, otherwise, let the VMR tow him.

They would give him a nice bill at the end too, I am sure he wouldn't have offered any reward to the nice fisherman.

peterreb
05-06-2006, 03:24 PM
I would have towed him in when Í was ready, may be get him out of the drink first then make him wait ::) ::)
Peter

Dignity
05-06-2006, 06:28 PM
good on ya Steve, don't like the blighters myself but your damned if you do and damned if you don't

btw - did you have any words with him

sam

Daniel_Trenfield
05-06-2006, 08:33 PM
A wise man once said "Turn the other cheek, But tow 'em in at full noise"

Angla
05-06-2006, 11:13 PM
You did the right thing.

I may have waited a little longer.

Angla

Gbanger
05-06-2006, 11:50 PM
karma will repay you mate...

youd have a new found respect for em if they towed you back in..

GBC
06-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Woulda done a heap of do nuts around him for a while and maybe lifted the lag a bit and thrown a bit of noise his way for a while first though...........

SgBFish
06-06-2006, 10:46 AM
If they are not in danger they wait till you are ready to go home!

Never thought of doing donuts around them but I like the idea. :)

Then tow them back past their mates with them stting on their ski. They like getting looked at remember. :)

thepartyisover
06-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all your replys Ausfisher's, as for did I have a good old chat to him on the way back in? Well I just told him that the bloody things are a waste of money coz you are aways repairing them. He did ask me what I liked to drink!! I was'nt really thirsty, I just wanted to bloody get back to the fishing, the winter whitting were on the chew :). As I started the toe he told me to go slow, as it may damage something in the motor, I felt like saying it's fu@$ed anyway ;D ;D.

Cheers Steve