PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Protectors

fez
06-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Just spent last night changing all the bearings and putting on new Hubs and Rims on the trailor (everybody's favorite past time), can't for the life of me get the bearing protectors to fit, WHATS THE SECRET????, seriously do you guys have any tips for this, have tried everything thing from a gentle (through to not so gentle) tap to cursing and swearing >:( then talking nicely ::) to them they won't bloody fit.

Help Please.

Fez.

billfisher
06-06-2006, 11:39 AM
You should be able to bash them in with a hammer, but use a block of wood to stop the hammer damaging them. Its a good idea to use a needle puch to put dimples on the side of the protector. This will stop them falling out of the hub on the highway, which they will tend to do. ##

fez
06-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks Billfisher, A more heavy handed approach when I get home later! Dimples in the side is a good idea as the last set I had fell out (this was one of the reasons the rust occured and the bearings were shot)

Cheers,
Fez

billfisher
06-06-2006, 12:56 PM
I mean't to say needle punch (I modified my post).

camsharkman
06-06-2006, 05:16 PM
I think you mean center punch.

Dignity
06-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I cleaned the hub of grease after put in the protectoes then wrapped self amalgamating tape (always keep some in the car) around the lot. can't knock them off (pun intended). I know the will fall out on the road but have lost the odd one at the ramp also. With the tape on the only way to get the stuff off is to cut it and most thefts are usually opportunists so won't have a nice sharp stanley handy.

sam