PDA

View Full Version : A few (dumb) questions

ortho85
06-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi,
Sorry if all this has been covered many times, but I'm new here! #I have a bunch of questions. #I'm about to upgrade to my first ever new boat, upgrading from a 4.4m AllyCraft runabout, and I would like advice. #I use the boat for fishing (drowning prawns & avoiding work), mainly around Jacob's Well and Jumpinpin areas.
Are there areas around the Brisbane region where it is safe to head out a little bit offshore?
Is it worth it from a fishing viewpoint?
If it is, what is the minimum size aluminium boat I need? #I'm currently thinking of 4.8 or 5.1m.
What makes of runabout are good, and which to avoid?
Is a 4 stroke better than a fuel injected 2 stroke?
What brands of motor would you recommend.
Finally, what dealers?

Thanks for any info,
BK

mju_75
06-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Hello

i just bought myself a 2nd hand tinny 4.3 stessl, with a 50 on the back older model,i bought it from a boat yard and the bloke told me that the person that traded it in use too take it off shore,not sure where sorry and im not sure if i would take it off shore maybe a on a really calm day and everything was in your favour i would possibily thru the seaway down the gold coast

Cheers Mark

seatime
06-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi ortho85,

yes & no
yes & no
plate alluminium
not necessarily
i wont get into that
or that. ;)

But seriously, how much do u want to spend. A pressed tinnie package might be $25-30000, a plate boat package might be around $35-40000, but don't quote me.
There are a lot of factors to consider to safely head offshore, that could be another thread.
Check out the fishing section to decide whether it's worthwhile.
5.1m LOA to avoid the lifejacket requirements, if u desire, and safer.
Don't want to get into brands of boats and motors, or dealers.
regards. :)

seatime
06-06-2006, 05:11 PM
ortho85, I didn't mention the plate sided tinnies getting around. Their prices are in between the pressed and full plate boat prices.
I'll go out on a limb, I've only purchased 1 boat from a dealer in Bris. I got a 4m Bluefin + 30 Mariner from Mr T's Tinnies about 18months ago. Good boat, good deal, so far. Give them a gander they also stock Trailcraft.

warrior
06-06-2006, 06:23 PM
I HAVE A 4.5 BLUEFIN WARRIOR,fish the bass comps as well as go out into the bay as far as moreton great allround boat and very well priced

Jeremy
06-06-2006, 07:19 PM
my boat is a centre console which was converted from a 4.3 m stessl heavy duty tinny. It is actually 4.5 m long and is pretty sturdy with plenty of freeboard. I have been 20 km offshore, and regularly fish 10-15 km out from Mooloolaba, Caloundra, Gold Coast seaway, etc.

So as for size, bigger is better, but 4.3 m is OK in good conditions (under 15 knots and 1 m of swell). Boats are always a compromise. I like mine as I can fish up the creeks, take it to the dam, or go reef fishing or trolling, and do it by myself if I so desire.

Offshore fishing is heaps better than bay or estuary for numbers and size of fish, but as always, there is some learning to be done first.

If you are serious about offshore fishing, try to go with as many others in their boats as you can first, so you will learn a bit about offshore fishing and also what makes a good boat. Some very good buys come up second hand from time to time, so take your time before you part with the hard earned.

Jeremy

flotsom
06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
if lippa is out there he will be perfect for this answer, he just put together a awesome 5.2 meter tiller steer stacer, perfect for all round use on a budget. the boat also because of its size and tiller steer turns heads everywhere it goes.

timddo
06-06-2006, 09:11 PM
mate, i read an articile that quote, if you have a 4meter plus boat you can head off shore. i went ofshore about 10km from the seaway and it's fine. i even saw smaller tinnies out there. But stick to the crowds. It's better to get a new motor than an old. if your car breaks down you can always walk home, but if the outboard breaks down, well you know.

I've got a trailcraft. plate boat. very strong and high. i got it through endless summer marine, about $27 with sounder , radio, offshore safety. But if you have a few more bucks go the bigger one. The bigger the boat the bigger the fish. so they say.

Personally i think when off shore. big boats just handle better in the bigger swells and get home faster.