PDA

View Full Version : Formosa 5.2 centre console Good or Bad?

JimBeats
25-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Gday,
Im looking at investing in a Formosa 5.2 Centre Consloe deluxe pack fitted with a 75/90 honda four stroke outboard and would like to know if any one has ever taken one out for a spin or if you own one of these boats cause i would like to know how they handle in the water before i make the purchase of one!

Any feed back would be great!

Jim_Strike_Zone

fishin4fun
26-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Is that the plate or rolled version , i have a rolled version and can take you for a spin if you want to see how they handle.........cheers Rob

JimBeats
26-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Rob,
Mate that sounds awesome we will have to organise it! I havent as of yet decided if i will go for the rolled or plate version from what i have heard they perform roughly the same whats your view on this? It would be great to catch up and talk as i do have a few questions to ask and im only a stones throw away (Wellington Point).

cheers mate,
Jim

fishin4fun
26-05-2006, 07:37 PM
sent pm jim

flotsom
28-05-2006, 09:35 AM
i have had a look at the structure of the boat under floor, looks very strong, i have been fishing in one on the broadwater and was suprised on the performance, handles great and went well, this one also had a honda 90 on it.

Black_Rat
28-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Best damm centre console going around in its size :) 8-)

seatime
28-05-2006, 07:42 PM
nice to see a retailer (not an advertiser, or r u?) respond to a query. there's an impressive range of boats at Q powerboats.

not an advertiser, I gather!

Fatsambo
29-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Jim,

I have a 5.2 rolled version of the boat. Unfortunately the boat and the manufacturer have left a bad taste in my mouth as we have already had it back once for repairs to a cracked transom and just recently bought home half the pacific ocean with a crack along a weld in the hull. I would seriously consider the money you are about to spend on the boat. Bear in mind these boats are built to a price. We have also seen a lot of corrosion occur in the boat. The boat is only 2 years old and has done 150hrs so bugger all use. i dont know what to suggest, i certainly would never buy one again. Sorry to all those happy formosa owners....

JimBeats
29-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Cheers for the feed back guys!

Fatsambo mate sorry to hear about the problem but its the first time ive heard of an issue if you dont mind me asking how did it happen? the reason i ask is because i will be crossing bars and thats usally pretty tough for any boat to do!

Thanks

Jim_Strike_Zone

Black_Rat
02-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Jim,

I have a 5.2 rolled version of the boat. #Unfortunately the boat and the manufacturer have left a bad taste in my mouth as we have already had it back once for repairs to a cracked transom and just recently bought home half the pacific ocean with a crack along a weld in the hull. #I would seriously consider the money you are about to spend on the boat. #Bear in mind these boats are built to a price. #We have also seen a lot of corrosion occur in the boat. The boat is only 2 years old and has done 150hrs so bugger all use. #i dont know what to suggest, i certainly would never buy one again. #Sorry to all those happy formosa owners....

:( ouch, will be lifting the floor on mine before my two year hull warantee is up in July !

PS: mine has about 100 hours on it and is water tight 8-)

finding_time
02-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Best damm centre console going around in its size #:) #8-)

Alloy centre consol and then a very big maybe?? :o :o :o :o :o :o

ian

peterreb
02-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Jim, have a look at a TABS terriotory pro, I have a 5.35 C/C. Hull weight is 800kgs and very structurely sound.

Cheers Peter

Vxleather
02-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Jim so you understand that i have a little knowledge not just a freind of a freinds opinon!

1992-1994 Baycity Marine Apprentice
1994-2001 Wynnum Marine Apprentice to workhsop manager
2001-2002 River City Marine Workshop Manager / Retail Sales
2002-2004 Queensland power boat Centre Sales Manager
2004-2005 South side toyota Retail Sales
2005- current CoxCraft Boats National Sales Manager

The formosa 5.2 is a excellent package, I have never seen Ross at formosa Marine turn back a customer with a warranty prob, In the many years ive been in this industry every manufacture has warranty issues. Thats why we give a warranty.

No matter if it's a Quiny, crusie craft, seafarer, Savage, Stessco, Tabs, Razorline and so on they all have ther little problems and only on some boats.

I have spent many hours in a lot of different tiny's. I would recomend the 5.2 Formosa as being a good strong boat.

Sorry to hear about the warranty prob listed in this thread but this happens to all manufactures.

The boat is amazing in rough weather, I have been out in some shocking conditions in these hulls and they handle it well. They are deep sided sharp vee and flater rear end. Pull the rear kick panel off and have a look at the transom structure under the floor, I would strongly recommend you put the 4 mm plate bottom in them as it adds a little more wait and a better ride again.

for general usage the 70 odd hp will do the job, If you are running of shaw and bar crossing with wait on board go the 90 hp.

The boat is built very solid look under and on top of the gunnels they are fully welded, the older ones wern't creating places for corrosion. If you won't a little more info let me know.

Everyone we took out in these boats for test runs bought one. After 2 years of selling them if i could get a customer to test run it they would sign up.

Go for a test run you will not be disapionted.

shane

JimBeats
08-06-2006, 11:46 PM
vxleather,
Cheers mate for the info i have been out for a test run in the rolled 5.2m version and a huge thanks has to go the rob another member of ausfish (aka thirsty merc) hes an absolute top bloke cheers for the test run mate! vxleather mate if you do come across any more info on the formosa's please do past it on.

Cheers,
Jim

nicangpetryszyn@inte
12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Jim,

I have a 5.2 rolled version of the boat. Unfortunately the boat and the manufacturer have left a bad taste in my mouth as we have already had it back once for repairs to a cracked transom and just recently bought home half the pacific ocean with a crack along a weld in the hull. I would seriously consider the money you are about to spend on the boat. Bear in mind these boats are built to a price. We have also seen a lot of corrosion occur in the boat. The boat is only 2 years old and has done 150hrs so bugger all use. i dont know what to suggest, i certainly would never buy one again. Sorry to all those happy formosa owners....
jim i have a rolled version and my problems are my boat is only 3year and 6 months and only done 84 hours on water problems hairline crack under the chimes on both sides one side is around 600mm lone the other is 900mm long i also have crossion under floor and every fitting that was fitted by formosa has very bad corrosion so any person thinking about buy a formosa boats should read this and the aftersales service from formosa is not forth coming in any form only they will give you photos on how to fix this problem at your cost

coucho
13-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Serious if you believed everything you read in these forums the only alloy boats you would ever buy would be trailcraft, tabs, fisher, riptide,etc these boats are the higher end but you also pay a premium for the garentee of quality.
Formosa are in my opinion in the mid quality range, with low end pricing very hard to go past them for value for money IMHO.
If you want something that is indestructable then you have to be prepared to pay for it.

notsa
13-08-2008, 02:02 PM
I have the plate 5.2 centre console 4mm bottom,3mm sides and believe they are better built and finished then a lot of the more expensive boats. It has a 90 e-tec and has plenty of power ,I think the 90 Honda would be great .

JB
13-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Coucho makes a good point, you certainly get what you pay for. Another thought to consider is resale value , are you planning on keepin the formosa for a long time?

I think the "best centre console on the market" is rubbish, thats waaaay too big a call to make considering the size of the marketplace and the amount of brands available.

My advice is take your time on the decision, all salesman are liars and finally TESTDRIVE ALL.

Jas

nigelr
13-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Coucho, forgive me if you've already discarded the idea, but an alternative way to go would be to look at a quality 2nd hand unit.
There are some very good buys to be had in 2nd hand boats ATM.
If you know someone who can give you an expert opinion on a boat and motor, or don't mind paying for an expert to give you an opinion, you may do yourself a favour by checking out the 2nd hand market.
Cheers and best of luck with your purchase.