PDA

View Full Version : Boat Shows - are they worth it?

ortho85
08-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Hi,
I'm planning on buying a new boat soon (spending around $30k). The Brisbane Boat Show is on in about 3 months. Is it worth waiting, are there real bargains at these shows?
Thanks,
BK

Blackened
08-06-2006, 08:35 AM
G'day
For starters like always there can be bargains there but know your prices of the items you'd be interested in down to the cent and what you can get them from. The price of a ticket u will spend more in that by going to the dealers all aorund town otherwise and you also have some very good bargaining power. I saved $400 off of my new mercury back in 2000 buy doing just that. Make shure you recieve the boat with all listed inclusions, it's debatable about a deposit and just use your bargaining power.
Dave

Volcano
08-06-2006, 10:23 AM
As Blackened pointed out, the best part of the boat shows is you have all the dealers on an even playing field as such. They are right there, in heavy competition and have expectations of doing deals.

Provided you have done your homework, and of coursae are prepared to wait that long... yes. WEaiting for the boat show is DEFINITELY worth doing in my humble opinion. Even if you dont buy your boat from it, you will undoubtedly be wiser for the experience, having so many dealers at your disposal.

dnej
08-06-2006, 12:23 PM
BK,on this site,there is a banner add for Fisher boats.
Do yourself a big favour,and contact them.They got the award for the plate boat of the year.

You will love the design of the boats, and I am sure there will be something to suit you.
David

lippa
08-06-2006, 09:26 PM
i've always found boatshows to be aimed at package deals with finance, the dealerships make more money out of commisions from the finance than the profit on the actual boat. my way of doing it is haggle with dealers when no shows are on, end of the month/financial year is also a good time, as with cars they will let go out the door with very little profit, so they can get numbers up with factory bonuses ect. be a pain in the arse, without being a ######, and shop around, get your finance before going, you will normally get a better rayte with the finacial intatution you normally bank with.

cheers

lippa

gif
09-06-2006, 05:58 AM
Some manufacturers (Motors and maybe hulls) give an extra discount to dealers at the show.

So it is easier for them to discount further at shows.

I agree with the above - do all of your homework befoire the show and go around shopping. In fact be preparred to go more than once - sometimes prices fall during the show and they all compete.

Gary

RayB
09-06-2006, 07:37 AM
I bought my new boat at the Brisbane tinnie and Tackle show but only after 5 months of solid research and having a very clear picture of what I wanted and what the boats were worth. Not sure if the deals are that much better but it certainly made haggling a lot easier as the dealers are ready to discount.

cheers
Ray