PDA

View Full Version : Corten Bar crossing course

dnej
08-06-2006, 11:30 AM
I have arranged another day for the Ausfish members who sent me a pm. It is the weekend of the 8th of July,either Sat or Sunday.
Camo has booked in,so those of you who want to join him,please pm me, so as I can finalise everything.
Regards David

Volcano
08-06-2006, 12:07 PM
David,
What is the cost of the course?

Ocean_Spirit
08-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah its a great course.

No matter how experienced you are at crossing bars, you will get a lot out of it, and Bills a top bloke to boot. Its a great morning out there. Come back feeling pretty darn confident.

I would recommend the course to anyone wanting to cross bars. Take your polarised sunnies.

dnej
08-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Cost is $370,and includes everything for the day,and inflatable life jackets
David

longtail
08-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Cost is $370,and includes everything for the day,and inflatable life jackets
David

what , you keep the jackets??

marlinqld
08-06-2006, 02:53 PM
do you use his boat? your opwn boat?

Volcano
08-06-2006, 03:08 PM
As much as I would love to do the course, $370 is just way too much money.
:-[

Az
08-06-2006, 03:56 PM
hard to put a price on safety though, i know I will be doing the course in the near future, but like you $370 is a bit much to cough up at the moment

seatime
08-06-2006, 04:02 PM
The course sounds like it is popular, always good feedback from it.
Is $370 for the whole course, or is that each person. That's a lot of coin, it must be worth it, unfortunately too much for me.
Hope u get the right sort of conditions for the day. :)
regards

Camo
08-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Guys this a report on Bill Cortens Bar Crossing Course, from a fellow who goes by the name of Ocean Spirit, on another forum. He's a local and may also be on this forum under another name:-

"
I decided at the end of last year to carry out a course on crossing local bars here in South East Queensland. Because every entry to the sea is almost blocked by a coastal bar here in Queensland, I thought it would be beneficial to obtain some expert training from a professional on top of my own personal experience, to make entering and exiting bars safer, more enjoyable and build more confidence.

After reading a very positive article in Propeller Magazine about Bill Corten's Coastal Bar & Fishing course, I called Bill and he set a date, and provided a lot of information about what his course entails over the phone. He followed up close to the course date to make sure everything was still right, and even does a preliminery run the day before to make sure everything is right, and there is enough swell to make it worthwhile.

We set out this morning from Raby Bay (Air Sea Rescue) boat ramp, around 5.30am, returning shortly after 1.00pm today. Bill runs a custom built to survey, comfortable Cruise Craft 625 Outsider (foam filled), with a 200hp Yamaha HPDI, fitted out with all of the latest colour electronics, radios, fishing extras etc.

Being a loyal Seafarer/Evinrude owner, I had to swallow my pride a little at first to get on board! Bill, in contrast, loves his Cruise Craft and is quite passionate about his own boat, but offers a very unbiassed and honest opinion on all kinds of boat brands, which I found very good. Bills boat and engine performed flawlessly, like my own boat, for all intended purposes on the day, in less than comfortable conditions.

The course was nothing short of excellent, and Bill basically starts with the basics about navigation, boat handling, judging swell and wind patterns, how to read waves, using the GPS, detecting shallow water and using landmarks and the compass to find channel entrances from sea, before moving on to more complex and very fun 'hands-on' bar crossing work. His own skills as a skipper are excellent, and he installs a good feeling of confidence in his passengers and whoever is driving, and carries out an excellent course overall. He's also a good bloke to boot!

I would like to strongly recommend this course to anyone, because no matter how gifted or experienced you may be, it would be hard not to benefit from this training exercise by a guru who has been doing this work for 11 + years, if my memory serves me correct. I belive it offers very good value for money, and one day may save you and your crews life.

It was funny and somewhat alarming that while we were out learning, we came across other boats attempting to cross the bar, with skippers that clearly had no idea where the channels were and little knowledge about how to drive over the bar, whom would benefit greatly from this course.

After reading this report earlier in the year I decided that I would do the course too. I know what my limitations are and I figured that anything that could give me confidence when crossing bars was worth the money. I agree $370 is a lot of money. But I justify it this way. We spend tens of thousands of dollars buying boats which are capable of fishing out wide, but if you don't have the skill then they are worthless if you can't actually get them out wide safely. You might as well sell it and buy a three metre tinney and fish the creeks. Use the safty angle, thats how I convinced the missus to let me spend the money. :)

Camo

JLW
08-06-2006, 05:06 PM
David,

Where can we find out out more info?

Cheers,

Jeff

redspeckle
08-06-2006, 05:45 PM
For those out there think it Cost too much to do the Bar Crossing Course
Think again its not just about crossing bars but also give the boating skills to handle your boat in bad weather as well and wish you done the course in what CAMO said i couldn't say it any better and agree with him 110 percent
Here jeff information on bar crossing course found in Bush&Beach Mag on page 63 in this months edtion
phone no 07 32863647 or e-mail reel_affair@yahoo.com

I have done the bar crossing course and end up doing offshore fishing course as well the best $770(together on 2 course's) I every spent to do with boating and I can tell you do it is gives you great confidence
Regards Mitch

marcus
08-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Jeff,

I completed the course back in February. I cannot rave enough about this course. Believe me, you will get so much out of this course and you will gain enough knowledge and confidence whilst on the water, however, Bill will also stress the importance of being responsible out there (looking after passengers and your boat). I probably will do refresher courses in the future. Bill has a great presence about him and is calm in all situations. Give Bill a call and you will know what I mean.

Cheers,

Mick ;)

Camo
08-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Sorry Ocean Spirit, I didn't see your earlier post. #Good report by the way. #It stuck in my mind, that's why I posted it here.

Camo

dnej
08-06-2006, 08:20 PM
As my post says, I am just trying to put 4 Ausfish members together, due to the amount of interest shown when I had one spot available on my trip.
Its $370 each,and no you dont get to keep the jackets.Either pm me,or call Bill direct.It is the weekend of the 8th July.Up to you guys now,as I said Camo is already booked
David

charleville
08-06-2006, 09:09 PM
I did it last year.

My advice "Nike!" :)

I found that by the end of the day, I was doing things that I never dreamt of - like motoring in on the back of a wave, manoevring left and right across that wave in so doing.

My two mates and I were on a real high at the end of that day and spoke of the experience for weeks after.

Find the money. It is well spent! :)

Volcano
08-06-2006, 09:49 PM
I'd like to point out, I have no doubt whatsoever it is money well spent.
However, after just spending $950 on a new GPS/Sounder and $900 on trim tabs (excluding miscellaneous costs associated with each) I would litterally have body parts removed by the minister for war and finance if I even suggested spending more hard earned on the boat/asscoaited activities.

A mate of mine down the road has completed the course, and also raves about it in exactly the same manner that everyone esle on here has. Said it changed his life on the water.

Hopefully one day, I will find myself standing side by side with Bill. Alas, it won't be anytime soon as my hip pocket will be suffering from a severe case of bullemia (pardon the spelling) for a while.

seatime
08-06-2006, 10:10 PM
volcano, that's why we were given 2 kidneys. the spare is for essential purchases. ;D

dnej
09-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Course is booked for the 9th,July,have 3 starters,one place left.Send me a pm if you want the spot. Mickey got your message.
Regards David

charleville
09-06-2006, 07:24 PM
I would litterally have body parts removed by the minister for war and finance if I even suggested spending more hard earned on the boat/asscoaited activities.

Ah yes - but this is not a luxury good. This is a vital piece of safety training that will help protect that extremely valuable asset that features in your avatar. ;D