PDA

View Full Version : 30hp tohatsu # or 30hp suzuki #both 2str

kilo11
09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
which is the best

went down to the shop he also sells mercs and said the jap merc is the same as the tohatsu and would put a tohatsu case on a merc motor if i wanted and sell to me there and then.$3000 elect start.

reply:asked the tohatsu mech how much to make the 25 to 30 he said 50cents....dam thats cheap i know the toey runs a little rough at idle common with these i guess, just wondering does the suzuki do the same?

Tinn
09-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi

Mate I would go the 30hp suzuki with electric start. Excellent engine that is what engine I have on my 4.2 tinny.

Haven't had any troubles top engine those suzukies

TheSaint
09-06-2006, 12:59 PM
big fan of the Suzuki.. ;)

joey_1987
09-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi, I have a 6 month old Mariner 30hp which is a repainted Tohatsu 30hp. It's an excellent little motor, only drawback is it idles a bit rough, I am not sure if the suzuki would do the same. The Tohatsu is 429cc and 52kg for the long shaft, the Suzuki is 57kg and 499cc for the long shaft model. Tohatsu has 3 years warranty and Suzuki has 2 years warranty. I don't think you could go wrong with either engine, I wonder if the Suzuki runs rougher than the Tohatsu because it is a 2 cylinder with even greater displacement. I do know that the majority of surf lifesaving clubs around Australia use Tohatsu because of their reliability and ability to work under strenuous conditions, they use a Tohatsu 25hp which is the same motor as the 30hp but with a restriction plate. Ask a Tohatsu dealer to price a 25hp and ask them how much they will charge to remove the restriction plate. I have put about 40 hours on mine and no problems so far. I know my local hire boat place also swears by Tohatsu, they have several 18hp's and 25hp's which seem to go and go and go. It pushes my 3.95m stacer open boat along very nicely, with two people and gear there is no need to use WOT to get somewhere quickly, and with 4 large people and gear it still gets up on the plane fine but slower. Yet to get top speed figures but am in the process of buying a GPS so will hopefully have them soon. Cheers, Joey.

Dodgy_Back
09-06-2006, 03:12 PM
I have had a 30 hp Tohatsu for 2 years now and have had to have the bearings in the gearbox done (warranty, luckily) and just a few weeks ago had to replace a piston, for some reason it just cracked luckily I took it to a mechanic for a tune as the motor was still going but noisy as always , he noticed it and fixed it.

Problem is ,I had a hell of a time getting parts for it, the mechanic had no idea when they would show and I ended up driving all over Bris to get them.

Apart from all that my little motor now goes its best in 2 years and no, I wouldn't get one again.

Mick

MIKOS
09-06-2006, 03:52 PM
go the Tohatsu,

Reliable,Economical and tough.

also seem quite well priced for the good quality you receive..

Mike ;)

kilo11
09-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi, I have a 6 month old Mariner 30hp which is a repainted Tohatsu 30hp. It's an excellent little motor, only drawback is it idles a bit rough, I am not sure if the suzuki would do the same. The Tohatsu is 429cc and 52kg for the long shaft, the Suzuki is 57kg and 499cc for the long shaft model. Tohatsu has 3 years warranty and Suzuki has 2 years warranty. I don't think you could go wrong with either engine, I wonder if the Suzuki runs rougher than the Tohatsu because it is a 2 cylinder with even greater displacement. I do know that the majority of surf lifesaving clubs around Australia use Tohatsu because of their reliability and ability to work under strenuous conditions, they use a Tohatsu 25hp which is the same motor as the 30hp but with a restriction plate. Ask a Tohatsu dealer to price a 25hp and ask them how much they will charge to remove the restriction plate. I have put about 40 hours on mine and no problems so far. I know my local hire boat place also swears by Tohatsu, they have several 18hp's and 25hp's which seem to go and go and go. It pushes my 3.95m stacer open boat along very nicely, with two people and gear there is no need to use WOT to get somewhere quickly, and with 4 large people and gear it still gets up on the plane fine but slower. Yet to get top speed figures but am in the process of buying a GPS so will hopefully have them soon. Cheers, Joey.
he said about 50 cents but he wouldnt do it cause my boat max rating is 25 but he would show me ........covering his arse ....understandable too.

joey_1987
09-06-2006, 04:24 PM
If your boat is rated to 25hp, then just get the 25hp motor? It is probably cheaper than the 30hp. He wouldn't have done it because of insurance reasons maybe, and also because it's not good if a dealer deliberately puts a motor that's above the boat's HP rating onto a boat. That's the first time I have heard about anybody having a problem with a Tohatsu from what Dodgy_Back wrote, hopefully it was a once off situation. I read your first post again, and a Tohatsu cowling on a Merc may look strange if the Tohatsu motor is not the same black. What boat is this motor going on? The 30hp is powerful, in summer I had some fun towing people around on a biscuit, I had 3 people in the boat and one person being towed and the boat still went like a rocket and it was good fun being able to throw mates off the biscuit :P. Cheers, Joey.

Kopey
09-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Don't hold me to an exact figure (usually just concentrate on the technical work) but I'm pretty sure Richard sells new elect start Suzuki DT30's for about $3,000. Don't know if that's any help but just thought you'd like to know. ;)

Go the Zuks! 8-)

rojac
09-06-2006, 07:56 PM
I've just bought a 30 suzi electric for $3300 ( Adelaide). $3000 would be good value.

rojac