PDA

View Full Version : What have YOU done to your boat?

Volcano
09-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Just completed a few minorish addons to my boat and was wondering - what have people physically done to their boat? I dont mean paid someone else to do... something you ACTUALLY changed/fixed/added on your boat?

For me:
1. Replaced 27Mhz Radio with a VHF Radio.
2. Re-attached rocket launchers after they broke off. Don't Ask ;D
3. Added 19" hydraulic trim tabs
4. Replaced Humminbird NS25 Sounder with a Lowrance LMS-337 sounder.
5. Re-wired the bilge pump, nav lights and cabin lights.

Never really thought I'd have the confidence to get these things done.
What about you? Have you surprised yourself in some way shape or form?

aussie_stu
09-06-2006, 03:34 PM
On my tinny have wired/plumbed live bait tank into forward seat, installed 27meg, installed sounder, raised front casting deck and cartpeted both thwart seats (looks nicer), installed 2 swivel seats, built own rod racks for sides and finally (but most important) installed drinks holders.

in new boat (6 metre haines) replaced sounder with combo (so had to wire in the GPS too), replaced 27meg with working one, thats about all (only had it 2 weeks) have plans to put light in cabin and replace flouro cabin light for regular (seems to interfere with 27meg).

dnej
09-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Stripped my cuddy cab,pressure cleaned bottom inside,laid Lanolin grease.built new floor,set up bilge pump,and switches,built a bait board,,manufactured wave breakers,installed new windscreen,new dual battery system,and isolation switches,constructed tray to hang off floor structure,for portable fuel tank to sit on,made foot rests,hinged pedestal seats,set up under bunk storage,and on and on it goes.Pic of bait board
David

Seahorse
09-06-2006, 07:12 PM
hey aussie, any pics of tinnie with live bait tank and rod holders. just curious.

cheers
greg

familyman
09-06-2006, 08:31 PM
This has got the potential to be a BIG thread ;D
So come on Blaze ,Colac girl,Grand marlin etc. Their exploits are well documented here but I'm sure there are many others who have done lots also.
Myself the list must be concealed from the financial director ;)
Oh what the hell.....
New bilge pumps for bilge and livie tank
New uniden vhf,
New jvc cd player,
new interior lighting
new rod holders x 6
100 litre u/f tank
chemical toilet
compass
garmin gps
installed extended cabin bulkheads(increased cabin stiffness)
swim platforms/half pods
replaced perspex windows and screen with lexan
new canopy and clears
thats about it I think :o
cheers jon

impulse492f
09-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I was just thinking about starting the same thread.

My list

Boat

Re-sealed the anchor well,
Re-sealed the bungs,
Repaired some minor scratches in the gelcoat,
Installed new CD/MP3 Player
Installed new 27 MHz Radio
Rewired the dash
Rewired the main battery
Installed new Furuno LS4100 with transducer
Installed new Garmin GPS
Installed mew compus
Replaced both switch panels
Installed 12v outlat on dash
Repaired S/S fuel tank
Installed new fuel sended and gage
Rebuilt the Suzuki 85 carbies
Replaced the old fuel filter with a CAV unit
Repaired the S/S prop (after seeing if the boat ramp was made of concrete)
Installed 2 rung telescopic ladder
Installed Hand rail on swim platforms
Modified the anchor to fit in the small 492F anchor well
Built new cover for forward storage area between berths
Recovered some cushions (well the lovely wife did)

I think thats it..... :o

gropeher
09-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Gee wizz,
Sorry aint done nothin, although about to star the build of the rocket launcher, my mate has 3D modelled it and I have gathered prices to get the S/S Bent to shape using sand as the fill material so as not to crease the bends etc.

My boat came with 27mg, VHF, CD player, bimini and front and side clears, Lowrance comba sounder GPS, bait board, Internal Lights, double filled in bed,
Actually not a cent to spend bar the launchers and the new live tank straight after that. (I have 2 bait tanks but they are not plumbed)

I know this decieves your original post, But I am so proud of my rig as most fishos are I just had to post the details etc.
I have polished her and gassed her up and fished from her though, now I just need to catch some decent fish regularly!!!!!!!!

Cheers...

tiny_tinny
10-06-2006, 06:03 AM
I have a 12 ft Sea Jay tinny, bought second hand a little while back. I have:

- Refinished the ply floor with paint/sand to make it anti-skid
- Cut a piece of marine carpet to fit on the floor (loose-laid)
- Added floatation under the floor (blocks of foam and plastic milk/soft-drink bottles)
- Fitted navigation lights and a plug-in anchor light
- Fitted rod holders (mostly home-made from PVC pipe)
- Fitted side-pockets down both sides
- Fitted a larger horn cleat on the bows to replace the silly little one that was there
- Fitted the sounder transducer and 27 MHz marine radio aerial
- Made a removable "console" that contains the switching, marine radio, sounder and some dry storage
- Made a removable shelf foreward of the front thwart to take the fuel tank. This trims the boat better when I'm out solo, and releases space in the stern. There is space under the shelf for a couple of life jackets
- Installed clips for paddles and the gaff

Despite all this, there is still plenty of space for two people to fish from the boat, and even chuck a cast-net. On the odd occasion when I have three people on board, the "console" stays at home. Fishing three-up usually means that we're not fair-dinkum about our fishing, and the lack of the sounder, etc is not an issue.

There are probably more things I forgot. All in all, I'm really happy wth the outcome.

Mike

MyEscape
10-06-2006, 06:15 AM
I've got a 4.15m seajay tinny.

Done the usual with a bimini canopy and sounder. Though I did make a nice bracket for the sounder from some scrap aluminium.

Haven't done a lot more however latey I've bought some 25mm tube clips to secure the paddles and landing net. Also made a bait board with the tube clips on the bottom. The bait board can now be placed on the rar side rails when in use, and whennot in use can then be secured to one of the paddles (as they are also 25mm tube). Also just bought some tube clps for the yabbie pump to do the same with it.

Not a lot, but it cleans up the boat a little, rather than have stuff on the floor, or in a place not quickly accessable

Steve

aussie_stu
10-06-2006, 12:31 PM
sea horse -> will try to get a few for you mate, basically used the inner out of an old esky plas and few other bits and pieces

blaze
10-06-2006, 04:34 PM
what have I done to my boat

broke the bitch in half

I do lots of thinks to my boats, too long to list
My hat goes off to every one that has a go at doing these jobs for themself, ends up being more gratafing (need to learn to spell). Start off on simple jobs and there is no end of possibities.
great read, keep the imputs coming
cheers
blaze
Ps
Just got back in and i'm bloody cold.

Seahorse
10-06-2006, 06:28 PM
thanks aussie

redspeckle
10-06-2006, 07:39 PM
My boat has been a working project and has been a lot fun doing it ;D
and give you's pride at the end of the day and helps you have things not working on the boat becuse you now how to fix them because installed yourself list below
Done my self and help of a mate
Replaced all the wireing ( reirwire it and install A buzz bar ) in the whole boat
Installed duel battery set up
3 bilge pumps -one as under/above floor other as a deck /live bait tank
Built own live bait tank /deck wask
Replaced sounder
Install VHF Radio
Painted own name on boat by free hand
Removed crossion and touch up with paint
Re-riveted all clip on parts of bimmi top
Tint windsrceen
Install compass
Install agian new fuel fiitler system
Cigar lighter plug /battery tester
Cabin lights
Not done by me
Install under floor fuel tank / re-welded cracks /cut in inspection hole for under floor
I think I have covered it all and still have a few more things still to install to go yet
Mitch
C'MON THE COWBOYS ! in 2006
ps Done to boat trailer too install self centering rollers and a tool box new springs/ brakes replaced wheel beraings