PDA

View Full Version : Portable outboard storage

Dunks
11-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Just wondering how those of us who use small outboards on car toppers store their motor between uses. I just have my 3.3hp Mercury laying down on the floor, as per the instruction manual but this morning I picked it up to give it a run and when I stood it up right all petrol spilled out of the exhaust and I had to pull the thing for about five minutes before getting it started. Normally starts 2nd or third pull. I did make the mistake of filling it up last time I used it so it has sat for two weeks with a full tank of petrol.

I am now thinking of building something on my workbench that I can attach it to so that it is stored upright from now on. I used to have a trolley with my last outboard but it was too bulky and don't want another one.

joeT
11-06-2006, 03:23 PM
When I used to have a little portable yamaha I used to just lean it against a corner in the garage with some rags to pad the lower unit and cowling.

ahoj
11-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Dunks
You sure have a problem-----after you setup your Car Topper what do you do with the motor? lay it down in the car? hmmmm not very smart---- do you smoke?
I have no suggestion to offer without being sarcastic

Ahoj

Feral
11-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Easy peezy. Screw some 3x2's into a frame big enough to give clearance for the lugs etc, screw on a large pine breadboard, and screw it to the side of your shed, just bung the motor over the breadboard like it was a transom. If you want to be flash you can dynabolt a post to the shed floor with a T piece on top for the motor to sit on (again like it is attached to a transom)

wetnwild11
12-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Dunks, Ist thing I would be doing is looking for a fuel leak. :-?Cheers
Eric

whiteman
13-06-2006, 02:11 PM
My 25kg Suzuky 6hp is strapped to one of those $20 super cheap trollys so it stands upright. As it tends to want to fall forward I lean it against the wall of the shed. The strap is a light-weight tie down which secures around the engine cowling and back around the trolly handles. Works a treat and easy to move out of the way. To make sure it stays on the trolly I bolted a small block of wood to the base plate of the trolly with a chisselled out bit big enough to drop the skeg into. If you use this give it a coat of lannox or similar to keep away the rust on the trolly.

epoc
13-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi you may have an issue with your 3.3Hp. I lay mine down with a full tank of fuel all the time, never leaks. Oh and I am presuming you had the fuel turned off?? ;) ;) 8-) 8-)