PDA

View Full Version : Flushing outboard motors

cabfisher
09-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Hi All with the water restricions I phoned and emailed Caboolture Shire#council and asked about if I can use a hose to flush the motor and was told yes I can as it a matter of health and safety also a quick wash of the springs and wheels that go in salt water .
But no washing the boat #ect only with a bucket and that fair enough but check with your council first
Cheers Harry

7dan7
09-06-2006, 09:50 AM
thanks for the info harry

dan

S_Bend
11-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Good point, Harry. I'm Pine Rivers so will ring them on Tuesday. Don't really want to spend money at a car wash if I can help it.

Cheers.

charleville
11-06-2006, 04:44 PM
I reckon that this is something that we all want in writing.

The advice by cabfisher is consistent with what the very clearly stated rules are in Sydney for Level 3 restrictions but that position is not well stated here in Brisbane if at all.

eg the relevant bits from the rules on the Brisbane Council Website are shown below...

bungie
11-06-2006, 05:08 PM
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/bccwr/lib85/20060223_reslevel3final.pdf level three restrictions for the brisbane city area

Gbanger
11-06-2006, 05:28 PM
i was mistakenly under the impression you could wash your boat using something with a triggle nozzle.... ive been using a guerney up until i read that..

im in brissie.

baitchuka
11-06-2006, 05:32 PM
FISH GUTS & SQUID INK IN YOUR BOAT BREEDS MAGGOTS, HEALTH AND SAFTEY ISSUE,
WE ARE ALLOWED TO WASH OUR BOATS OUT IN VIC...

DAVO.............

rojac
11-06-2006, 06:34 PM
FISH GUTS & SQUID INK IN YOUR BOAT BREEDS MAGGOTS, HEALTH AND SAFTEY ISSUE,
WE ARE ALLOWED TO WASH OUR BOATS OUT IN VIC...

DAVO.............

Well you wouldn't have to buy any more gents ;D

rick_k
11-06-2006, 11:00 PM
rang BCC call centre on Friday arvo after not finding anything relevant to outboards on their website.

Was advised by Anna who quoted from her script to wash the outside of the motor with warm soapy water with bucket and sponge, and to connect the hose to motor directly or with earmuffs and flush for no more than the manufacturer's recommended time, generally (a stated but forgotten) number of minutes. It was around 3 minutes. Didn't bother remembering as I'm going to look mine up.

Bit concerned about washing the springs etc; can't really be done with a bucket. My model Karcher sucks, so I may fill a drum with a bucket, and use that as a tank for the Karcher.

impulse492f
13-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Below are the words for the Sydney Stage 3 Water Restrictions

And I quote

"All exemptions are subject to change, following regular reviews as the drought progresses. The following are still permitted at any time:

* Using a bucket or watering can to wash and rinse vehicles or water lawns and gardens.
* Topping up any existing swimming pool.
* Filling a pool less than 10,000L capacity.
* Using water from a rainwater tank, as long as it is not connected to or topped up from Sydney Water mains.
* Using a hose with a trigger nozzle or high pressure cleaning device to clean boat bilges and boat trailer brakes and wheels.
* Using a hose to flush boat engines.
* Cleaning garbage bins using a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle or with an on/off switch. This should be done within an official bin wash area or on grass."

And IMHO the rule is fair.

Meat
13-06-2006, 05:59 PM
The following link is for the current Brisbane City Council level 3 restrictions:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCCWR/LIB85/20060606_RESLEVEL3FINAL1.PDF

Under 'Washing of vehicle/house/windows/boat' it states: "Flushing of boat motors is permitted using a hose at any time."

This doc is current as of 13th June.

Meat

seatime
13-06-2006, 06:40 PM
We're still on level 2 in the Redlands Shire. We have Stradbroke water to supplement, until that runs out and the island dies.
regards