PDA

View Full Version : bertram

lucyloo
10-06-2006, 06:18 PM
any 1 had one or got one i was thinkin about getting a 25 ft on trailor any down falls or comments about them want to be able to tow or if bigger am goin to have to steam from scarborogh all the time just dont no wether to get rid of me plate boat wich is easy same length probably longer but not wider so any one got a berty on trailor who tows it interested on hereing from ya thanxxxxxx :D

MulletMan
10-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Doubt there would be anything on the road these days you could tow it with due rules and legislation.

Even the Toyota Landcruiser I think is very limited, you would be looking at a truck with a four tonne capacity I reckon.

The Berty would be up aroud the 4 - 6 tonnes wouldn't it?

Too big for me to go towing about the place I reckon!

lucyloo
11-06-2006, 12:15 AM
im off to a good start then thats my truck capacity
:D

Grand_Marlin
11-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Pink Panther is right ... about 4 tonne.

Trailer needs brakes on all 6 wheels, and a breakaway over ride system

Watch the motors in the 25's .... generally the 470 mercruisers that have been around forever, and are all (generally) starting to get pretty tired now ... this includes legs.

Depending on your budget, the 26 caribbean is a great boat ... it replaced the 25.

The 26's have twin 220hp fuel injected mercruisers. These are reasonably economical and will be a lot newer than the older 470's ... and therefore should be in heaps better condition.

Cheers

Pete

Smithy
11-06-2006, 07:54 AM
I dunno why you would want one. Over the years on fishing forums, 25 Bertrams are probably one of the topics that comes up the most. More to do with the reliability of secondhand ones and having legs in the water. Good sea boat but that engine box chews up a lot of room. A big single diesel repower would be the only one I would look at. Alternatively wait till a 26' Black Watch turns up in you price range. I have seen a few on trailers. There is one getting around on a dual axle trailer sporting 4X4 wheels. The other thing is these types of boats are over 2.5m wide so are daylight only towing and depending on width might need over width signs and flashing lights.

Here is one I used to fish on. This was basically a ramp trailer which was unregistered and he used to get a $15 permit to take it down the ramp and back each trip. He towed it with a little Dyna truck most times but did have it behind his Sahara as well. The original ramp trailer for it was just two pieces of vertical timber each side of the keel mounted on a frame. No suspension and he used to blow a lot of tyres as the weight would always end up being carried by one wheel more than the others. Buggas to get on an off at the ramp as well. Being a hardtop she was touch and go with some electric wires and the route to the ramp could have no detours once a safe way was found. With twin 470 Mercruisers it was a thirsty thing and not particularly fast.

lucyloo
11-06-2006, 07:19 PM
thanks 4 ure comments :D

23-sharkcat
14-06-2006, 01:28 PM
The 470's are not thirsty motors on my boat, and talk about go. It will reach 40knt's in a 23' sharkcat.

I think the usual props on the berty's were 14.25 x 15p. I have 14.25 x 21p.

I think that is one of the differences. You would have to have the 470's flat out to reach 28knts. Mine are just purring along at about 3200rpm to acheive that speed