PDA

View Full Version : Replacing cable steering assembly

bdm56
13-06-2006, 12:52 AM
I pulled the Teleflex Safe T System helm and cable out of my old Quintrex Seaman 4.2 centre console today as I was sure it was stuffed (worn out). Steering wheel has 1/2 a turn nearly of slack and shaft vertically has a heap of play side to side. Was getting hard to keep the boat in a straight line.

However when it is out of the boat I can only get at most an 1/8" of turn on the shaft and the end of the cable moves. It appears the cable is only a spring wound around a central cable (looks like it anyway). Anyone have experience or tips ?

Also when ordering a new unit where do you measure the cable from/to ?

I bought this boat a few months ago, rewired etc and put a 50hp mercury on it. The boat is somewhere around 9-11 years old and assume the console therefore helm was fitted not long after looking at overall condition. Unit was steering a 40hp Yamaha at that point.

Any help appreciated.

Hagar
13-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Get yourself down to one of the big marine outlets . You can now get complete teleflex steering kits for around $ 220.00 bucks most times . Comes with new helm unit and cable . Most are flat dash units not angle mount so make sure it will fit first . Instructions for measuring the cable length are printed on the box . Works out not much more bucks than just buying a cable .

Chris

lippa
13-06-2006, 06:27 PM
call gary at control connections, they are a importer of teleflex/morse conyrols in qld, he'll be able to help you out.

cheers

lippa

bdm56
13-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the hints.

Hagar - yep, already been in contact with Springwood Marine and they can order them in as a kit.

Lippa - I will give Gary a call.

I guess it's not until the steering unit is under load that the wear becomes apparent ?

dnej
14-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Dont go to anyone that has to "get them in".
BIAS,or Whitworths are other options.
Control Connections are good as mentioned.Jump on the internet to BLA,and look up steering,That will give you some ideas.
Definitely go for a new helm.
David

Blue_Escape
14-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Have a look at the Teleflex Safe-T II NFB (non- feedback) cable steering. I couldn't justify the cost of Hyraulic on my 4.5m SeaJay but wanted the "hands free" advantage. The NFB has a clutch system that eliminates any torque reaction from the motor - the motor will not move unless you turn the wheel. Leaves the hands free to eat, rig up etc. while moving between fishing spots! Best of all it should slot straight into the "hole" from your older Safe-T. Got mine as a package from Bias.

As far as measuring cable length have a look on the old cable, there will be a model number, the last two digits are the cable length in feet. If not, follow the instructions below.

Cheers
Blue

Blue_Escape
14-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Sorry try again...

dnej
14-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Normally within about 600 mm of the helm,you will find that stamped length,on the old cable.
David

bdm56
14-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the replys, I have spoken with Gary of Control Connections and he is very helpful.

And yes I found the stamped info on the cable, unfortunatly the cable being so old and there is a scrape (murphys law) along one edge of the info. However I have come up with SSC0018 18ST AMG029" or something similar as a couple of numbers had only half or less visable. Guess this means the cable is 18' as without pulling it out of the helm it measures about 17' 6" to the helm.

Gary tells me he can supply same day which is great as I live at Jimboomba and he is at Sandgate !