PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu Outboards - Advice needed

irishjim
14-06-2006, 02:43 PM
After refurbishing and repainting my 16ft cuddy cabin I'm thinking of buying a new 60-70 hp outboard to drive her. I intend to go to the Boat Show in Melb at the end of June to see what is on offer. #Someone mentioned to me about a Tohatsu outboard.....have any of you had any experience/issues with this make. :)

Regards - Jim

gogecko
14-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Im happy with mine. This has been discussed quite a bit here.
Do a search on tohatsu.

serene_lady
14-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Yes Jim,I have just upgraded from a 40 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu to a 50 hp tldi Tohatsu tiller steer elec start power trim and tilt 2 weeks ago. I have had the 40 for 5 years and never had a single fault with it. The only reason i changed was to help the back a bit. The tldi is a bit more expensive but worth every penny. Iwill send you a pm on the price i paid for mine and also a mate of mine has just got a price on a 70 tlid. Bob.

Blackened
14-06-2006, 09:59 PM
G'day
As mentioned do a search as it's been discussed heavily of late in particular. Toheys have a reputation for being simple, tough and reliable.
Dave

kilo11
14-06-2006, 10:40 PM
http://www.onlineoutboards.com/m_help.html#p_2

try here

maverick1
15-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Hi ,
I have a mate that has a 40 Tohastu for 8 years still going strong , they
may not have all the bell and whistles of the other brands but they are a very reliable motor .

cheers

wayneoro
15-06-2006, 11:52 AM
in doing research on usa sites for my own problems i saw heaps knockers for these motors mainly about rust problems for a few bob more go main stream

billfisher
15-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Well I had the head off my 1992 tohatsu and the cooling chambers are like brand new. Not a hint of corrosion! I think the corrosion rumours go back to the early 1980s when they and a lot of Japanese makes used an inferior grade of alloy (high copper content). Its amazing how a reputation persist.
PS I would regard Tohatsu as mainstream. Also remember that most low HP Mercs are actually rebadged Tohatsus!
Most Tohatsu owners swear by them: cheap to buy, simple and reliable, gutsy power delivery and reasonable fuel consumption.

FishOn
15-06-2006, 01:33 PM
If you have a look the corrosion problems were related to early motors. Not sure when they changed the alloy composition, but anything recent (5 years) should not have any corrosion problems.

Kind regards Trevor

kilo11
15-06-2006, 01:35 PM
ok i just bought a merc yesterday 25hp 4st $4,860 and no the tohatsu was not cheaper it is the same price on the sunshine caost Talk to a couple of dealers they all said same thing..different cowling and motor mount apart from that the same as a tohatsu.......which to compicate things are also called nissan motors over in jap land.

nevd
15-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Yes Jim,I have just upgraded from a 40 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu to a 50 hp tldi Tohatsu tiller steer elec start power trim and tilt 2 weeks ago.

I would be interested to hear how your 40 carb and 50TLDI WOT performance compared as 50TLDI is way down on 50 carb. I accept that starting, fuel consumption, smoothness and idle quality are all better on the TLDI.