PDA

View Full Version : Coverting electric motor from fresh to salt

ynotaj
15-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi guys,

I am going to look at an electric motor that is for sale, and have been told that it is a fresh water model but has been converted so that it can go in salt water.

I'm not sure of the details yet, not even the make or model, was told the size was 55 pound thrust, the info is coming from a mate who was offered the motor from one of his friends, he can't use it so asked me I was interested.

The conversion involved changing some bearings and seals, the owner has said he had it done at a known boat shop and has the paper work to prove it.

I was hoping to get some opinions and info before I meet the owner so I can make the right decision. Like if it was one of the two major brands that is minkota or motorguide and it was in good condition and two years old how much is it worth, and can a conversion be done and is it successful.

Hope to check it out over the weekend.

cheers
Tony

gif
16-06-2006, 06:32 AM
I think there is also a sacrificial anode which doubles as the nut that holds on the prop

And the circuit board in the head is epoxy coated - or potted.

Don’t take me as expert here - just what I have noticed

Gary

Poseidon
16-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I asked some questions regarding freshwater in salt a little while ago, see if some comments help.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1145228355/5#5