PDA

View Full Version : Webster Twinfisher problem - anyone had the same?

Dr_Shane_Griffiths
16-06-2006, 08:34 AM
I've had my 4.6 m Webster twinfisher centre console for about 6 months. Awesome boat, but I've just had this weird problem where the flat metal sheet near the bow between the two hulls has bent from excessive water pressure in a following sea/chop. Now I certainly haven't thrashed the boat or been out in coditions over 10-15 knots and 1.5 m swell and I've only got a 60hp on it so I'm limited to 20 knots top speed, so it's not misuse in my book. You can actually hear the metal flexing when you head down a chop and then meet the next wave. There's nowhere for the water to go but to press on the flat piece of metal. It seem only cosmetic at the moment, but I fear with constant flexing it may eventually crack the joining welds. Anyone had the same problem. I'm going to contact the manufacturer about it today and see what they say.

Any help would be great.

Tinn
16-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Mate that doesn't look good at all. Get up the manufacturer to fix it for you

Punkin
16-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Have hammered my 4.3 50 hp combo plenty and never had that happen, would be contacting Websters for sure. More than cosmetic in my book :-/

Captain_Starli
16-06-2006, 09:39 AM
:olike Punkin, i have a 4.3 who on occasions has been known to be airborne. have no probs. i too would be contacting & sending them a pic.

JB
16-06-2006, 09:43 AM
yeah, mate seems ordinary to me, def be driving it back to the manufacturer for a chat.

julian1
16-06-2006, 10:57 AM
looks like you hit something to me, surely water pressure would'nt be that concentrated on that one spot, unless there's a build fault ?

I_hate__work
16-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Shane
That looks nasty, I am interested in getting a 5.2 cuddy webstar in the near future. Keep in contact and let us know if it is a fault or if they believe you hit something. Now days there is a lot of rubbish floating around after rain and lazy people throwing thier rubbish over board.

Mark

blaze
16-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Looks to be an impact to me, to sharp of a crease to be water pressure in my opinion
It may have also cracked some frame work inside the hull
cheers
blaze

sid_fishes
16-06-2006, 12:29 PM
mate , is there any paint missing [ like you have hit something] or has the paintwork just have crack lines in it . not knowing whats inside the hull eg, support frame work etc or the lack of it i would be taking back to the manufacturer . that does not look good at all cheers ian

Dr_Shane_Griffiths
16-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Guys,

Definately didn't hit anything. There's not a scratch on the paint as you may be able to see in the pic. When the boat was new there was a slight curve in the metal where it's now buckling. I think the curve was supposed to be there. This buckle has gradually got bigger over the past few weeks, it was hard to notice at first because I couldn't recall how much of a curve was in the metal in the first place. Then when one side buckled slightly more than the other I knew something was up. Then with each trip it was getting worse.

It's definately from water pressure because when you get to the base of a sharp chop there's nowhere for the water to go except flat against the sheet and then under the boat, or out in front. It's at this point that you can hear the sheet flexing with a clunking noise. Under the casting deck there's no support ribs to stop the sheet from flexing. So I'm nearly 100% sure that's the problem, but I'm just interested to see if anyone else had the same problem. I don't get air in this boat like other guys seem to do in these boats, so that's not the issue. Besides, that would put pressure on the sponsons and the bottom of the boat, not so far toward the bow.

As I've heard in this post, many guys thrash their websters because they are designed to get airborne in crappy conditions. But I've been very gentle with mine because I've had trouble with cheaper boats falling apart in only moderate conditions. I got the webster to handle the crappy conditions but I'm a bit bummed to see this after 6 months. Don't get me wrong they are awesome boats, but I guess I've discovered a new chink in their amour. Have contacted Webster and sent a photo but no reply as yet. Heard a few horror stories of warranty claims recently with Quintrex, so figer crossed these guys are as helpful as when I purchased the boat from them.

SeaHunt
16-06-2006, 02:25 PM
You definately have a warranty claim.
I have never owned one but looked at quite a few a while back when buying my last boat, one thing I did notice though is that all of them were not exactly smooth and straight in that area where your dint is.
I think because of the shape they have some difficulties during manufacture in that area and the heat from welding causes some stress related warping.

Cant really see how they would fix it, cut it out and patch it??
Don't think so, make them give you a new one. :-/

Smithy
16-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Motty's 4.6m is caved in to a certain extent. It is in survey and does 1000s of hours a year on charter. Definately what you are describing. Hasn't been a problem so far but not as bad as yours. Big waves at Awoonga and Somerset have caused his. There are about 3 areas where it has occured at the front of his. Maybe yours is happening in the one area and is therefore 3 times as bad.

StevenM
16-06-2006, 04:22 PM
No good and not healthy. Get it back to Webster.

F1SH_BOY
16-06-2006, 06:04 PM
jeez i would get looked at after seeing that lol :-? :-/