PDA

View Full Version : black nightmare

wayneoro
15-06-2006, 10:08 AM
yep black nightmare of the mercury force varity my 1993 force orig; had a black 9amp stator but a design fault the magnets on flywheel are to powerful so once your battery is charged the stator would overheat and cut out the motor will restart again few hrs to next day and repeat this a few times till stator failed mercury solution is an updated 16amp red stator kite $1000 been on a pension i opted to save a little and bought the cdi after market 16amp stator and volt-regulator they told me this would do same job of the high priced merc kit adrians marine said dont risk it yep so once again motor would cut out my battery was getting tired replaced it bigger and better so motor ran 3hrs instead of 1hr before cutting out but cdi stator has now failed my set up has not helped my starter battery is motor only no discharge except for starting plus i've got 75mins run to start fishing okay i need a 16amp red stator i can buy used one off a 60hp or a 75hp kit all 3cyn force and look same yet have diff part no's can they be used or altered to suit mine cheers

fishn-ads
15-06-2006, 07:00 PM
You've done well to get this long out of her before it raised it's head.

I had one of the Mercurys with the black Stator and after a letter to Mercury Warranty Service manager in Melbourne they came to the party and sent me a new Red stator which I paid to have fitted. That was 5-6 years ago don't know if they would still honour but 50c stamp is worth a try as Mercury does admit it as a design fault?

Ads

wayneoro
16-06-2006, 08:08 PM
thanks you're 1st one i know to have the prob here you have a force or ? the only tech; help i can get is [give me a $1000 plus labour and i'll fit it ] cdi aftermarket parts told me there product would do the job year right it cut out on first trip i bought stator part in the states so when i rang the cdi mob here they were cold and distant no advise . what worries me is if i but the red stator in maybe that will blow to cheers