PDA

View Full Version : Help with electric motor

ynotaj
17-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Will I don't want to start a shit fight about which motor is better, motorguide or minnkota. I think both have their advantages.

I like the quick release feature of the minnkota leaving only a small plate on your boat and the minnkota appears to take up less room on your boat altogether. The auto pilot sounds great but I have read heaps about them having a mind of their own and not working as you want them to.

I have a bow mounted motorguide 55lb fresh water cable steer model for the weekend and am trying to make up my mind if I should buy it. Looks like it is a very simple design with not much to go wrong, but it doesn't fit on my hornet as good as I liked and if I did buy it I would have to cut the bow rails and maybe weld a plate in. I have read that the motorguide are hard to hold due to the cable steering being so free and moving around a lot, I am guess the minnkota's servo's stop the motor from free spinning.

Money is always an issue, the motorguide I am trying is second hand with no battery, it's an 03 model and is in pretty good condition and the price is $350, I'm happy to pay that but I don't want to find it doesn't suit me after a couple of outings and have to lose money on it when I sell therefore costing me more in the long run to buy the minnkota.

I would like to hear from minnkota owners that would like to give their honest opinion about the auto pilot, whether it works ok and if they use it very often.

And from motorguide owners whether they find the short cable plus the somewhat sloppy steering play a problem.

I guess I thought when I got an electric it would be a minnkota but now that this motorguide has come up I'm not to sure anymore.

cheers guys
tony

ps the motor has to go back Monday or Tuesday so if you a going to post do it now :)