PDA

View Full Version : When is a Mercury not a Mercury???

fish-n-dive
17-06-2006, 04:23 PM
I reciently bought a Quintrex 4.2 W.B.Dory with a "Genuine" Mercury 40hp motor and a bunch of assorted extras.

The other day I made inquiries to Solas re upgrading the prop and was more than a little shocked to find that I didn't have a genuine Mercury but a Tohatsu badged as a Mercury.

I knew that Mercury and Mariner came from the same stable but was completly ignorant that Tohatsu lived their as well.

The bottom line is I specifically asked for a genuine Mercury and now feel I was duped!!

Does anyone have similar experiences or comments??

Cheers, 8-)

joey_1987
17-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi, Tohatsu make certain models for mercury-at the moment they make the 25hp Sea Pro, 30hp, 40hp Lighting XR 2 strokes. They also make some four strokes for mercury, the 8hp and 9.9hp LW models, as well as the 25hp and 30hp EFI models. Don't be alarmed, Tohatsu started making motors for commercial fishermen but then decided to sell to the public, they have a reputation for being reliable, fuss free, and cost effective. Most surf lifesaving clubs use 25hp Tohatsu's on the back of their rubber ducks because they go and go and go and can take a pounding. Why are you upset that your motor is a Tohatsu may I ask? Have you had any problems with it as yet? Has it broken down? They're great motors and virtually bulletproof. I own one, I am in the same situation as you because I own a 30hp Mariner 2 stroke which is built by Tohatsu, it's about 6 months old and it hasn't given me a single problem. Cheers, Joey.

fish-n-dive
17-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Why are you upset that your motor is a Tohatsu may I ask? Have you had any problems with it as yet? Has it broken down? same situation as you because I own a 30hp Mariner 2 stroke which is built by Tohatsu, it's about 6 months old and it hasn't given me a single problem. Cheers, Joey.

Hi joey_1987,

Thanks for your feedback and in answer to your question, No I haven't had any problems with it (and I don't expect to). My gripe is that I asked for somthing specific and got somthing else. I guess I'm sayiny that I should have been advised at point of sale rather than finding out for myself. (Buyer beware !!)

I have no issues with Tohatsu at all, infact I think their a very good motor. It just wasn't what I aske for. Maybe it's better than a Genuine Merc.....who knows, I'm beginning to think they all come out of the same factory anyway!!!

Cheers, 8-)

joey_1987
17-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Hey, the Tohatsu's are good motors, and in some cases, better than USA built Merc's, Your motor is made in Japan, compare Japan's technology with the USA's technology outboard wise and it's pretty equal, in some cases one is better than the other. But yeah I do understand what you're saying about not getting what you asked for. Though the 40hp Merc built by tohatsu is way cheaper than the 40hp Merc built by Merc. When I bought my motor, I researched a lot and found out that it was built by Tohatsu. I was going to get a Yamaha because I liked them, but they were like $800 more just because Stacer don't package motors with Yamaha, they package with Mariner, so I saved a bit of $$ there. The dealer probably should have discussed this with you, though he may have thought that some people would be turned away by a Tohatsu because they're not as common as other brands and are underestimated. If you're happy then all is well. Cheers, Joey.

wayneoro
17-06-2006, 06:41 PM
on other sites there seems to be a large no; of very dissatified tohatsu customers tohatsu are built to be basic entry outboards and priced so mercury on the other are top of the market a black paint job hardly warrents an upmarket price the crunch will come with resale values good luck hay joey 6 myhs old outboard no problems must be good

gif
17-06-2006, 07:19 PM
and Johnsons are rebadged Suzuki's

Mercury and Tohatsu now have a joint facility in Northern Japan to produce outboards. I think it has started production but I may be wrong on the details.

One of the models is badged as an 18hp Tohatsu and a 15hp Mercury ...

charleville
17-06-2006, 08:16 PM
...and my 2002 60HP 4 stroke Merc has a Yamaha powerhead.

Likewise, I am sure that Rolls Royces have a few BMW parts in them.

If any outboard brand was not up to scratch, I am sure that there would be plenty written about it on this site. Just look at how we either praise or bag tackle shops and boat dealers to extremes.

Bottom line is, the outboard's manufacture may be less impoortant in 2006 than the dealer support.

kilo11
17-06-2006, 10:58 PM
to confuss u more they are also called nissan outboards>

lattic
18-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Fish'n dive, you cant complain, the Japs make a much better motor than the Seppos, I've had the same motor for 3 years, starts second pull everytime, (first pull with choke out). Its never let me down, and i travel outside all the time. I service it every 6 months, and my mechanic only sells Tohatsu's, reckons they are the best motor made. On another note my mate has a 15 Hp Merc made in the states, and has probs with it regularly. BAsically you have the better motor, i wouldnt be upset at all.

muz

Ron173
18-06-2006, 09:02 AM
These guys aint so pleased with Tohatsu

http://www.sportsfish.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31548

Captain_Starli
18-06-2006, 10:22 AM
i was told that Tohatsu do make a number of Mercs, but, they are made to Mercs specs as far as mixture of alloys used in legs etc. for corrosion reasons....

phewy
18-06-2006, 01:08 PM
my mechanic only sells Tohatsu's, reckons they are the best motor made. On another note my mate has a 15 Hp Merc made in the states, and has probs with it regularly.

Well, there you go then #;)

Sportfish_5
18-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Merc also used to have a deal with Yamaha for their powerheads in the pre- verado days for their bigger 4 stroke engines - 115hp up IIRC.