PDA

View Full Version : Saftey Gear?

ttone
17-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi Fisho's,
# # # # # # # I have just bought a fibre-glass boat with no saftey gear in it. My questions are, as I dont intend to go out to the front,: what particular life jackets do I need. (There are many types, and I need to know which I should get). while fishing in estuarys, rivers etc., do I need any other gear to make my fishing life legal. I realize that these must be silly questions, but as I'm new to fishing in the salt water, I dont want to put me or my family at risk of any danger,and Fines!!!!
I live in the Sth East Qld, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me.
Thanks Rod

gropeher
17-06-2006, 08:44 PM
By the sounds of this thread, you obviously dont have a license do you?

Not being a smart arse or anything, but everyone who does a boat license knows their requirements, or at least 95% of them generally.

You are sounding like you have no idea re any safety issues, that is extremely dangerous for your crew, US and your self.

First you need to enrol with Allstate boat licensing ( I think), get those couple of issues tidied up, then we will discuss a few fishing or boating issues you have.

Enjoy the course, It is great fun, and well worth the expense, after completeing this you can come back and talk about PFD 1,2,3 etc and drive the boat out on the right side of the channel without mowing anyone else down.

You will feel alot safer in doing so.
Maybe you did not realise this was a requirement.

Cheers Ryan..

ttone
17-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Ryan, mate I do have a licence, it's just I've heard that there are many different types of saftey jackets, classes etc ( that aren't in your licence details) . having been out of boating for 7 years I just need to do it properly. I take on board your comments. Thanks Rod

blaze
17-06-2006, 09:25 PM
safety gear
buy the best your money will buy, make sure they fit the intended wearer because an over size life jacket on a child just as well be left at home. The life jackts will have to be pfd type 1.
Other gear
anchors, rope, lights (even if you dont night fish they are required in rduced visability), etc
Thinks like flares maynot be by law required but its only a few dollars (compared to the total cost of boating) and may save your family, same aplies to an epirb.
there is never to much safety gear when your life and families life may be at risk
cheers
blaze

longtail
17-06-2006, 09:37 PM
G'day Rod welcome to ausfish :D

have a read of this site , it will tell you everything you need to know ;) ---->http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/safety_equipment_rec

cheers
Jason

ttone
17-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Blaze and Jason, Thanks net loads for the info, just what I needed to know.
Rod

marlinqld
18-06-2006, 11:56 AM
ttone, go to your local VMR, they will give you all the literature you need.

revs57
18-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm with Blaze...don't skimp on your safety gear...buy the best available and hope you never have to use it, and if its more than you can afford...save up and get it a bit at a time...to quote the obvious "the life you save may be your own"

Cheers

rhys

ttone
18-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Yea Rev57, I agree with whole heartedly. Old mate told me once when it comes to buying motorbike helmets, if you've got a $5 head, buy a $5 helmet. Works for me especially when you consider how much you and the crew's life is worth.
Thanks all for the info, I have it all sorted out with a trip to a Boat accessory's shop.
Cheers Rod ;)