PDA

View Full Version : new outboards- does brand really matter anymore?

jeffo
16-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Im looking at buying a new boat and outboard...30hp 2 stroke. I am not in any way mechanically minded so feel free to have some input. i was leaning more towards yamaha, but after talks with a few people i am wondering with the technology now days is it so vital to go one brand over another?

yamaha only offer 2 years warranty, mercury offer 3 years on parts and 3 years on anti corrosion.
Mercury are also 600 dollars cheaper on the quotes i have got so far.

i have had one merc (94 model), one evinrude(96 model) and one johno (2000 model). and have never had a problem with any of them so i cant make any biased choices.

please let me pick your brains on what (and more importantly what NOT to buy....keeping in mind i will be buying brand new unless something good comes up in the next few weeks).

outsiderskip
16-06-2006, 07:18 AM
hi jeffo
have had all brands found yammeys about the best
but they are bit heavier on fuel
keep to well know motors that way parts are always readily available

cheers pete

PADDLES
16-06-2006, 07:26 AM
not too sure, but i think that for the size that you're after the yammy is a 3 cylinder as well where it's competition are 2. this will make it a bit smoother. there's an article on boatpoint in the motor tests section that will explain all the different outboard technologies to you. good luck :)

finding_time
16-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Giday jeffo

I think most brands have there motor technology pretty much sorted as far a relability is concerned ( apart from a few hicups from the makers of Black motors) but in terms of the running gear eg. gear boxes ,i like to stick with Yamaha. I do tend to touch the bottom on occasions though, bloody Noosa bar :-[

Ian

Poseidon
16-06-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't think brand matters too much at all, rather how you look after and treat the motor both on and off the water.
Much of the debate can be like a Ford versus Holden battle, with 'experts' typically suggesting how one brand of motor (normally the one they have) is far superior to anyone elses for reasons only they can understand and without a lot of fact, or they remember back to problems experienced with a certain brand many years ago and preach their woes to anyone who will listen.
I suggest you go with what you feel is correct, in your price range and look after the motor like it was your own child and you should have years and years of care free use. After all, technology and build quality has improved dramatically over recent years.

Regards Cameron.

JB
16-06-2006, 09:46 AM
So why the 2 stroke jeffo? Have ya thought about a 4 stroke suzi ? Is it a cost factor initally or...

how ya gunna troll up small blacks with a 2 stroke! ;)

kilo11
16-06-2006, 10:00 AM
go a tohatsu 25hp $2600 rope start $3000 elct when your warranty is up (or sooner)do the carby gasket and turn it in to a 30hp for a $1 cant beat that.
or do as i did get a 4stroke oh so nice ,$4,864.00

gif
16-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Maybe this table will help

I read Honda now has a 5 year non declining (no tricks) warranty. # Suzuki has a long wtee too.

gif
16-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I can get this data for any HP

The HC + NOX is teh actual emissions - notice how musy more emissiosn there are from traditional 2 strokes

Email me if you want similar data for another HP # g.fooks@uq.net.au

Dont PM!

Gary

joey_1987
16-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Gary, it would have been better to print screen the table, go into paint and chuck it in there, edit out all but the table, save as jpg, then upload as a photo. Cheers, Joey.

gif
16-06-2006, 11:26 AM
thanks

I tried something similar - it looked Ok but posted as all black ....?
G

Seahorse
16-06-2006, 03:20 PM
go the merc. my 30 is great. black for me

joey_1987
16-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I own a 30hp Mariner which is the same as the 30hp Mercury 2 stroke, which is built by Tohatsu and painted black, identical to the Tohatsu 30hp 2 stroke. Mine is pushing a 3.95m stacer and it does so brilliantly, one up the speed is near scary, two up it is still near scary, 3 up it goes well still, and the most load I have carried was 3 large blokes+myself and the boat still got up on the plane easily and went fast enough, don't have speed figures because no gps as yet. I have also towed tubes in summer, and with 2-3 in the boat and towing a tube, it still goes like clappers and I can throw my mates off the tube no worries. Fuel economy is great too, I don't use enough fuel to worry about it unless I tow a tube, but even then, towing a tube for one and a half hours flat stick I only used about 15L. I'm happy with it, the only downside is it idles a bit rough but other than that it's great. Cheers, Joey.

darrmun
16-06-2006, 03:59 PM
whilst i am a little biast toward yamaha ( some people say i've got toyota tatooed on 1 bum cheek , landcruiser on the other & yamaha on both ) i think that most of them up on a parr , probably my biggest fan factor of the yammy though is the after sales service that i get from our local yammy dealer , he realy is 2nd to none .....( i live near yatla )

StevenM
16-06-2006, 04:19 PM
All brands staight from the box are fine and should cause you no dramas. Comes down to how much you are going to use it to what choice as far as 2 stroke, DI 2 stroke and 4 Stroke.

Have owned most except for Honda and Tohatsu. Mates own Tohatsu and say they are happy and priced good as well.

Have fun

Cheers

Steven

jeffo
16-06-2006, 05:03 PM
thanks for the input so far guys.

JB- no need for a 4 stroke, if i want to TROLL all day for blacks i will go on something more comfortable than a tinney ;) a 40 footer will always raise more fish ;D

Spaniard_King
16-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Jeffo,

I have to agree most outboard manufacturers have got it together these days, personally if you are shopping for an outboard some major conciderations should be:

Warranty- how long and exactly what does it cover
Service costs.. how much and when
Basic repair costs...ie gear box seals, water pump replacement. fuel and oil filters, thermostats etc.
Who would be your local dealer and what is there reputation like ::)
What sort of resale does the engine have (check prices in second hand market)
Does the engine have any known faults (check US boating forums)

Unfortunately the buyer is blinded by purchase price in most circumstances and is hit with a lot of hidden costs down the track

PS Honda now has a 5 year warranty :o

cheers

Garry

jeffo
16-06-2006, 06:08 PM
thanks garry, i will go and work all of these out tomorrow...gives me something to do while the wind is blowing.

thesimmos
16-06-2006, 06:22 PM
I own a 30hp Mariner which is the same as the 30hp Mercury 2 stroke, which is built by Tohatsu and painted black, identical to the Tohatsu 30hp 2 stroke. Mine is pushing a 3.95m stacer and it does so brilliantly, one up the speed is near scary, two up it is still near scary, 3 up it goes well still, and the most load I have carried was 3 large blokes+myself and the boat still got up on the plane easily and went fast enough, don't have speed figures because no gps as yet. I have also towed tubes in summer, and with 2-3 in the boat and towing a tube, it still goes like clappers and I can throw my mates off the tube no worries. Fuel economy is great too, I don't use enough fuel to worry about it unless I tow a tube, but even then, towing a tube for one and a half hours flat stick I only used about 15L. I'm happy with it, the only downside is it idles a bit rough but other than that it's great. Cheers, Joey.

Totally agree with that comment. The Tohatsu is really fuel economical. I ran it slowly chugging around the bay and used less than half a tank in a full day.. flat out all day I almost use around 20L.

4 stroke is so nice and really quiet... and with the EFI it starts 1st time everytime... even when i use the pullstart which can run with a flat battery which is a big plus especially if you like a spot of night fishing and want to feel confident.

I did alot of research before I found this motor.. and found that japanese fishermen use them and they go right out deep and need a reliable motor to bring them back.

When I buy a car I buy a subaru... if you know their quality then you will know what I mean when I say.. when I buy a motor I buy a tohatsu!!

If you want to know a really good guy and cheap place to go flick me an email. I got mine installed for less than 6k.

Darren_R
16-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Wasup, I dont think it matters to much, a large percentage of them come from the same factories anyway. Most people will say that the brand they have is the best as that is most times the only brand they have had. They have all got to compete with each other in the market so I believe there is no huge difference between brands. There is a difference however in the quality and research and development that goes into the different models. Basically if you pay peanuts you will get monkeys. In other words like everything in life YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. In side by side comparisons if one brand is way cheaper than the other there is normaly a good reason.
Tight lines!!

;)

Chimo
16-06-2006, 08:11 PM
At the end of the day the issue thats probably going to be the make or break is service and maintenance.

Have you got a relationship with a service guy that you trust and who is fair and reasonable.

That person, who you will be learning from as well as getting him to make sure you get out and back without dramas is the best place to get advice on motors from. If he turns out to be like the guy I got onto about 6 yrs ago he would probalby have or know where you could get what you need, and probably for the right price.

good luck

Chimo

daz35
16-06-2006, 11:52 PM
i agree service and maintainance is the big thing ive had johnos,evinrudes,yamahas and the the last 2 including current mercs and i havnt had any trouble with any of them i keep the services up and look after them and have had no probs.i had only heard bad things about mercs until i bought a new boat and motor with a merc and when came time to upgrade i had no hesitation about buying this boat with a merc as the other one ran sweet as all the time .with this one i had to replace water pump at 200 hour service only because of being put in off beach most of the time and it was starting to get chewed out by sand .so i think if looked after they are all pretty much the same these days.

nigelr
17-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Hiya Jeffo.
Have a Tohatsu 30 2 stroke on my 4.2 Stessco catcher.
Starts easy, uses very little fuel, pushes me as fast as I'll ever want to go in a tinnie.
The best outboard mechanics in Coffs area (IMO) have no probs with servicing it for me even though they are an Evinrude/Johnson dealership.
Good value for money also. I'd happily buy another Tohatsu.
Cheers mate and best of luck with your selection.

charleville
17-06-2006, 08:29 PM
probably my biggest fan factor of the yammy though is the after sales service that i get from our local yammy dealer , he realy is 2nd to none

Likewise, I am very happy with my Merc servicing dealer who I think always has my best intersts at heart.

The sentiment from darrmun is one that I agree with completely however. That is, the reputation of the dealer is probably more relevant than the reputation of the product.

rick_k
19-06-2006, 12:46 AM
There are some impoundments that allow internal combustion engines but not 2 strokes.

I think that trend will continue, and some of Gary Fook's posts on other boards on this site seem to me to support that.

Luckily I've had 13 years out of my 2 stroke. Will be looking for a four when the time comes, assuming of course that fishing is still legal then....