PDA

View Full Version : IM A WANKA

mickstar001
16-06-2006, 02:10 PM
I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY IT BUT I LEFT ME BUNGS OUT >:(. PUT THE BOAT IN THE RAMP NEAR SEAWORLD THERE AT THE SPIT PARKED THE CAR AND RETURNED WITH THE BOAT BEING 1/4 FULL OF WATER - DOH. BACKED UP THE CAR UP AND I REVERSED THE TRAILER WHILST MY FRIEND WOUND THE WINCH HANDLE AS QUICK AS HE COULD.

HAVE BEEN THINKING TO MYSELF OVER THE PAST FOUR OR SO MONTHS READING THIS FORUM WHAT A WANKA HOW COULD SOMEONE FORGET THE BLOODY BUNGS, AM NOW PART OF THE ILEFTTHEBLOODYBUNGSOUT GROUP.

BTW NO LUCK FISHING IN THE SEAWAY EITHER ::)

mickstar001
16-06-2006, 02:11 PM
GUESS IM A WANKA NOW TOO :-[

longtail
16-06-2006, 02:13 PM
good story mick ;)

these things happen on occasion mate ::)

not for me yet though ................ touch wood :-X ;D ;D

cheers
Jason

woppa
16-06-2006, 02:14 PM
no mate, it does happen to everyone... but the good news is, once you've done, you'll never do it again!

Fishin_Dan
16-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Ha ha! Nearly everyone seems to have done it mate!

I'm dreading the day it happens to me!!!

BrandonH
16-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Yeah don't worry too much mate ;) did it once but was a little luckier than you!! I noticed as soon as it floated and poped the bungs in and drained out the excess on the trip up the creek :)
don't forget this method if you don't have too much water in ya boat!! get onto a slow plain and pop out the bungs, leave out till all water disapears, don't slow down too much with them out though!!!!

Cheers
Brandon...

fish2eat
16-06-2006, 02:23 PM
There are only 2 types of boaties........

1. Those who HAVE left the bungs out

2. Those who WILL leave the bungs out

welcome to category one, I'm in there too !!

PinHead
16-06-2006, 02:27 PM
been there..done that

mickstar001
16-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Makes me feel a lot better thanks fish2eat, must admit actually sh*t myself, what do i do what do i do he he ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dirtysanchez
16-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah, been there done that too, but was too sh1t scared of the prop to try the method of getting her on the plane to drain them !!

Have since learned that a quick trim of the motor would have been a good move, but you get that in a moment of panic

Now who's going to ask Santa for a 12v bilge pump and float switch for Christmas ?

:-*

StevenM
16-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Thems the breaks, now you know next time no matter how long it will be u are allways going to check them suckers/

Cheers

Steven

snakecatcher
16-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Trust me you ain't alone - I started another post on the same subject a few months back after I left my bungs out. One thing is for sure I won't be doing it again.....

mickstar001
16-06-2006, 06:05 PM
12V BILGE WOULDNT GO ASTRAY, HAS BEEN ADDED TO BIRTHDAY LIST ;)

onerabbit
16-06-2006, 06:05 PM
I did it about six months ago, it was the maiden voyage for the new 115 Merc, I just wanted to hear it run.

Oh bugger , to excited to put the bungs in.

Lots of frantic waving & shouting before my mate could move the trailer off the ramp & it still took more than 10 minutes for it to empty, haven't done it since.

Muzz

insideout
16-06-2006, 06:13 PM
no micstar , your not a ######......... just human.......if you can laugh about it ,its all good ;D

peterreb
16-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Mate I've done it , once on B.P. dam, and thought, I won't do that in a hurry again. At Scarborough ramp a fortnight ago, reversed the the boat in, looking back, there are a lot of bubbles coming out of the back of the boat, YES the bungs weren't in, no one was around ??
Cheers Peter

Daniel_Trenfield
16-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Ok, I've done it a couple of times.

Luckily both times the boat was up on the beach while I parked the car.

May not have been so pretty if my local ramp had of those boat ramp inflatable jetties. :-[

Dan.

TheDeepSix
16-06-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm lucky, my boat has no bungs, but have left runnin shoes & thongs etc on the rear duck board when leaving the ramp :'(

fieldy
16-06-2006, 08:37 PM
yes i have to admit im in the club, once and once only

saphire
16-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Yep.....been there done that. 2ice.
saphire.

Gazza.Boyne
16-06-2006, 09:38 PM
I've done it once about twelve months ago. Now i allways double check before boat comes off trailer.

Gazza

gawby
16-06-2006, 09:49 PM
If it makes you feel better i've done it twice :-[ :-[ :-[
Can even bet i will do it again. ;D ;D ;D
Graeme

Brissyguy
16-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Had a mate who used to do it regularly so he tied the two bungs together with some twine and kept them with his fishing clothes.
That way everytime he put on his lucky fishing shirt, he would have the bungs with him...
So he thought...
It did stop him from launching the boat without the bungs in... but it also saw him driving back home occasionally to collect them when he didnt wear his lucky shirt lmfao... #;D ;D ;D

SeaSaw
16-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Il know I'll never make that mistake ::) Putting the bungs in is the deckies job ;D ;D ;D

fishingjew
16-06-2006, 11:19 PM
ill join the club did it one night going crabbing actually my mate who came put the bungs in so after leaving the ramp behind seaworld then up to spot x pots out then a bit of fishing he turns round to me and says see what you mean about the back sitting low in the water. i looked then panic said how many bungs did you put in two he says hell i got three look in the cabin two inches of water bilge on over the back i go third bung in now i make sure i put them in and have a extra clothes just in case ;D. ps what about the ears saw one bloke pulling his boat out with the ears still on the motor when asked about it said still worked fine i think lucky? ;D ;D

Boat_Dreamz
16-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Took my old mans boat out when I was a young lad, he was hesitant about letting me, but eventually came round. Nearly had to just return a trailer to him when my hast got the better of me and we launched with no bungs. My mate who was a fishing virgin said "Is there suppossed to be water in the back here?" without looking back, as the steering cable had snapped I was under the dash fixing her up- I responded" Yeah you always get a bit that never gets out" to which he replied " yeah but it's up to my ankles. Holy F*&k I yelped as I stuck both thumbs in the bung holes and instructed my mate to use the oars to get us back to the shore before loading her back on the trailer, draining her and going for take two. Got on the juice at my 21st and the story was revealed to which Dad and his mates replied" We've done that more than once!" ;)

Adamy
16-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Yep me too.... isnt it amazing how fast that freakin water gets in through those two tiny holes... luckily mine didnt come quite off the trailer.... but plenty of people watching tho..... these days I put the bungs in before I leave home.

tunaman
17-06-2006, 12:08 AM
OH YES!
Done it three times,its allways the little things,just in to much of a hurry
to go fishing.THANK GOD FOR BILGE PUMPS.

signed tunaman :D

MyEscape
17-06-2006, 06:03 AM
Yep, done that years ago once when fishing with my old man. I went to park the car and looked back to see my dad waving his arms around like crazy at me. One look at the boat and I realised what he was on about.

Quite amazing how quickly you can back a trailer when you need to.

I'm sure there's a zillion things that you will do wrong given the benefit of time.

As Ernie Dingo says "Go on, get out there!"

Steve

Ron173
17-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Been there done that, anyone who hasnt, will do, someday they will!

Ron

cabfisher
17-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Hi There I am in this group also not once But twic although a long time a part
The first time was Bach in the 60s at Rose bay In Sydney we were under way before my friend noticed the water in the boat so we waited untill it drained out then Put in the bungs .
It never happend again for many years but then It happend at Beach mere in a small tinny seen it before we left the ramp so put it back on trailer .
But some thing to remenber on busy ramp it mite not be so easy to get back on the ramp . just a thought
Cheers Harry

MulletMan
17-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Get a red piece of vinyl or "anything" and attach it to your winch handle.

It will always remind you to put the bungs in or out!

The more of a nuisance it is then the more likely you are to remember the bungs.

Double purpose is you won't forget the winch handle and leave it on the ramp or drop off on the way home.

mickstar001
17-06-2006, 09:21 AM
GREAT TO HEAR ALL THE STORIES AND KNOW IM NOT ALONE - CONSIDERING I ONLY HAVE A 4.5MT OPEN TINNY ITS NOTICABLE QUITE EASILY - IMAGINE LAUNCHING AT SAY WHYTE ISLAND IN A BOAT THREE TIMES THE SIZE OF MINE AND GOING OUT TO MUD AND NOTICING HALF WAY OUT THERE - WOULD BE VERY PAINFULL! :D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
17-06-2006, 09:33 AM
every boats bilge needs a good flush occasionally ...

these days i put my bungs in at home as I put the motor leg support in place. *

* waiver: this statement is in no way an admission that Chris aka GWH is part of the WANKA club - it is simply a statement of fact.

chris
::)

ps other things worth remembering are the keys to the boat .... :-/

JT
17-06-2006, 10:23 AM
I am in the twice club too. First time was only the third time I had the boat out. Luckily my Fiance said "Have you put the bungs in?" when the boat was in the water but still on the trailer ::). Second time was at the Tweed, I was solo, put the boat in, parked the car. "Gee (not what I really said) the boat is sitting low", bungs in and 10 minutes of bailing later I was away.

Now bungs go in the night before a trip and I have put in a 12V bilge.

John

Rogues
17-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Yep!.....couldnt believe anybody would be so daft as to forget the bungs. ::)
Had a Sig 492f, for the first eight months religiously went thru my pre-launch check list, bungs in every time...no problems, have got this down 'pat' now ;)
Organised to take my mate out up river at Port Macquarie (his first time on the boat)....down the ramp, beached my rig while I parked the car, in the meantime he put some things, including a plastic bag full of lunch in the boat. We're off... :D :D two happy lil' veggies...........
middle of river, 100m from the ramp he's muckin' around at the back so I ask what he's doing...."just moving my lunch outta the water"... :o
That was the quickest I've ever got the boat back onto the trailer in my life..........and it drained, and drained, and drained, and...........
Felt like an absolute twit that day. :-[ and you know how it is, you defend yourself, " cant believe it, I NEVER DO THAT, I ALWAYS....blah,blah
Gotta laugh now, but at the time........S*#t !!

mickstar001
17-06-2006, 12:30 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

familyman
17-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Never done it so far but I'm waiting for fate to smack me over the head ;)
Has anyone used those bungs that self drain,you get them from bias or similar and I've always wondered whether they work or not?
Older members here or sailors may keep a tapered wooden plug or two handy for just such an occasion ;D
cheers jon

gawby
17-06-2006, 05:35 PM
You recon this bloke would be in trouble for forgetting the bungs ;D ;D

fish-n-dive
17-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Never left the bungs out (touch wood) but I did forget the kill button clip once. :-/ Only discovered it after being pushed away from the ramp :o>
Thank God for clothes pegs !!!!! ;)

Cheers, 8-)

gotya
20-06-2006, 06:05 PM
::)ok forgot the bung but not in the transom. Time to fill live bait tank ..............gee it's taking along time to fill...........gee the back of the boat seems low in the water.......... @#$%^. the bait tank bung. :-[ under floor full of water 15 minutes of bilge pump powerand i would say 200 litres later.
Oh well we learn by our #$%^& don't we :) ;)

jimbo1
20-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Well I can happily say I wont be joining your club anytime soon! My rig is bungless, as the complete bilge area is foam filled and the deck is completely sealed.

James ;)

Fat Chilli
20-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Joined the club the other day, on my first time out in the new boat. It was even more embaressing when I couldn't start the motor, as I couldn't locate the choke (built in to the key ignition). Had to jump over board, waist deep to pull it back in. And guess what? I then remembered where the choke was...

Had to happen, at least I will hopefully never forget again, well not the choke location anyway #::).