PDA

View Full Version : Plate Boats

troy
20-06-2006, 07:36 PM
I have never been in a a plate boat and i am curious to know how they would compare ridewise to a fibreglass boat off the same size.
I do not wish to start a debate on fibreglass versus plate boats.
When you go for a ride in say a 4 meter tinny and then go for a ride in a fibreglass boat i find the tinney is rough as guts.
With the plate boats is the ride as good as glass.
I am not running down anyones boat but just curious and do the plate boats give the same ride as glass or is there not a lot of difference.
Troy

timddo
20-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Troy,
in my opinion, a plate boat rides better than a pressed tinny, But if you compare the weight, the heavier the boat, the better the ride, hence fibre glass is better than plate.

Smailesy
21-06-2006, 11:49 AM
troy iv been in a 19ft sportfish a 19ft cairns custom craft both are plate been in a 17ft cruise craft and a 23ft shark cat im geting older and so is my back i prefer glass

eugah
21-06-2006, 12:16 PM
I own a 5 Sportfish & the ride is 100% better than the pressed boats i have owned, however it is not as good a a glass boat. The reason i went for plate over glass is a plate boat can take getting knocked around a bit.

Sportfish_5
21-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Glass or fibreglass - ride quality depends on the hull design.

*** Should read Plate or Glass

Cheers

Greg

Fisher_Boats
21-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Glass or fibreglass - ride quality depends on the hull design.

Cheers

Greg

Scary Greg..........I was about to say the same thing.... wrote it....then deleted.... then read it from you :o :o :o

Col

revs57
21-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Had a 15ft Centre Console pressed tinnie for 4 years...a good boat but 'orrible ride in rough sea, slammy and wet

Very happy with Flamin Riptide...rough water ride no problem, tough as nails, launch and land off big seas a treat...not slammy at all...carves it up. Just gotta drive it to the conditions. Loves a following sea...like Greg and Col said...it all comes down to hull design.

And for beach towing, launching & retrieve the best option IMO...wouldn't change to anything else

Cheers

Rhys

reel-em-in
21-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Agree with previous comments related to hull design but from having owned both glass (previously) and plate (presently) I do believe glass boats are a bit smoother in a bumpy sea. That being said they require more power (and hence fuel), a larger tow vehicle (again more fuel) and are less robust to hard knocks.