PDA

View Full Version : stinger longboat or noosacat centre console

youngfisho
12-12-2005, 01:18 PM
well this is just to see others opinions and ideas as to what path I should wander down. When I return from OS I intend on upgrading from my 4.5m 82 model crusader and get something more substantial. I have narrowed it down to a centre console stinger longboat either 5.8 to 7m or noosa cat 1800 centre console single pod. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

longboat

less power needed, more manoverable (ie leans in on turns)

can option for electric bow mount.

plenty of up front room with a casting deck

noosa cat 1800 single pod

soft ride of cat hull, beamier boat 2.3m vs 1.9m, more stability due to twin hull, more room around console.

both boats have self draining decks and underfloor flotation built to survey specifications. both hulls are similarly priced. having not riden in either of them its hard to decide which boat better suits my needs. I have read many articles on both boats, speaking highly of their rough water handling ability. but without a direct comparision it is hard to say which hull would stand out. I am planning inshore and offshore travel, so the longboat with its shallow draft really appeals there also the electric motor option means I can manouver in the shallows with greater stealth. (not sure if I could option the noosa cat with a bow mount).

i plan on running either a 90hp etec or tldi tohatsu on the long boat, and either a 90hp or 115 etec or 115 suzi or yammie on the cat.

what do fellow ausfishers think.

andrew

youngfisho
12-12-2005, 01:25 PM
NOOSA CAT centre console SP (single pod)

youngfisho
12-12-2005, 01:27 PM
STINGER LONG BOAT 723 with twin 50hp honda 4 strokes, (id get a single with trim tabs)

-Sharp
12-12-2005, 01:36 PM
that's drool worthy mate... if that's yours well done.... How much did she set you back

Mantaray
12-12-2005, 01:36 PM
- so just how good at self draining is the longboat?
- beware of those words "survey specifications" not all are what they might appear.
- single engine limitations then can't see the point in going noosacat

longboat appears to be your flavour and the longer the better!

youngfisho
12-12-2005, 04:42 PM
mantaray

have heard many reports that the single engined noosa cat works quite well with only one engine. Most of the problems associated with running one donk have been ironed out. previously they have struggled to get enough clean water to the prop. But with the design of the pod and the cone shaped under hull of the stern of the noosa cat, less turbulent water and more clean water can reach the prop reducing prop slip and improve power delivery. IF that makes sense.

either way both rigs look like a good proposition, am just so indecicive.

sharp,

nah neither are mine but with enough coaxing and plenty of massages and hard work I may be able to bring the missus around to the idea. Also have to have the appropriate funds

andrew

youngfisho
12-12-2005, 04:52 PM
stern of noosa cat, note the two scuppers in the stern

Blackened
12-12-2005, 06:01 PM
G'day
Go the cat, seems to be much more user friendly space. One ay to find out for shure....... take 'em both for a run.
Dave

youngfisho
12-12-2005, 06:11 PM
would like the twin engined setup, will depend on the funds at the time, would like twin 60hp suzukis or twin yammies, but will see how the funds are when I return. A nice stainless targa setup would be nice as well.

andrew

Spaniard_King
12-12-2005, 06:47 PM
VMR southport has a 5.2 noosa..I have been in it :P...get the long boat ;)

Garry

Mantaray
12-12-2005, 07:03 PM
what's the towing situation?

youngfisho
13-12-2005, 04:31 PM
well garry #that doesnt tell me much. #You sayin you didnt like the ride or handling. #what did you think about the 5.2

mantaray - both can be towed legally by a commodore or falcon, I imagine that I will have a turbo deisel hilux, navara etc once backk from OS.

andrew

youngfisho
13-12-2005, 04:36 PM
emailed wayne hennig yesterday re electric motor, got a reply today, saying not a problem.

andrew

Mantaray
16-12-2005, 07:01 AM
i would have thought the noosacat would have been approaching the heavy side for practial towing a holden or falcon?

youngfisho
16-12-2005, 07:59 AM
tow weight on comm and falcon is 1800kgs and the noosa cat is well under this. Remember it is only 5.5m in lenth, is a centre console, and only one engine. It also has less height than the 1850 noosa cuddy cab, and not the structure of the cuddy to weight things down.

88fishframe
16-12-2005, 09:09 AM
I use 2 boats - my 5.0m NQ Cat single engine 130 yamaha and my mates 5.9m Hooker longboat 90 honda. Both have there good and bad points but the cat is the best overall. My choice would be the Noosa Cat with Suzuki EFI, don't go under 115hp [as you might have already found out, the Suzuki 140 is actually a couple of kilos lighter than the 115 because they bore it out]. Play with your props as well, mine works best fith a solas torquemaster in 16 pitch. GET HYDRAULIC STEERING !!!

My single engine cat has nil cavitation problems. I have a mate onto his 3rd NQ Cat and he has had singles and twins. He prefers twins overall but there is a definite expense associated with two motors.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

TheDeepSix
16-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Noosa Cat gets my vote,

cheers

Tiga

youngfisho
17-12-2005, 12:25 AM
88 fishframe,

thanks for your post. I had been looking for a while and liked the look of the noosa cat over the long boat. I prefer more width in my boat, as I cant stand being shoulder to shoulder with other people on the boat. Also the ride of the cat with its twin hulls should be softer than the long boat. I spoke to noosa cat direct about an electric bow mount and they said no problems which is a plus. If I move back to brissy after coming back from overseas the bow mount willl help me fish the islands better whilst using plastics. Also the single engine setup will be around 32000 for a 90hp two stroke so I imagine another 4k for the four stroke 115

andrew

88fishframe
17-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Andrew, if you want to talk to me in person re my experience in the cat and the longboat, give me a call from Monday on - 0409 897926 or email me on davidrandall@bigpond.com.au . :)

Once you have a cat, you never go back ;D

youngfisho
18-12-2005, 11:15 AM
they do say that about cats alot. The only cat Ive been in is a 10m norcat - sort of hard to compare with any trailer boat. But when compared to a 55 foot monohull the cat ate it for breakfast. Here's a pic of the southport crews noosa cat, id have a similar t top but with rod holders on the back and sides and a pair of outriggers.

andrew

Mantaray
18-12-2005, 07:59 PM
my imagination or what but are both of those boats sitting down in the water a little too far? get a load of that left one even the words on the side are underwater?

youngfisho
18-12-2005, 09:47 PM
mmmm, probly the lump of lead on the back. hull is only rated to 125hp and whilst the 130 isnt overkill its probly heavier than what I would like. I think they have since repowered with a suzuki 115 or 140 not sure of the hp though.

maybe they forgot to put the bungs in!!!!!!!

andrew

Arlon
19-12-2005, 10:41 PM
What's the difference in cost? When I got my boat, it came down to a 22ft cat with twins and the Panga. The smaller cat had the same floor space as the longer panga but was almost twice the price. Cat also required twice the power and twice the fuel. I figure since the cats seem to be so popular in Australia, there would be less of a difference in cost. If cost had been the same, I'd have probably gotten the cat just because they are more popular than "longboat" style boats.. Arlon

youngfisho
20-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Arlon,

for a 19 foot long boat with a 90 is about the 30k mark thats with a two stroke with trailer and basic fit up. Similar price for an 18 foot noosa cat single engine also around 32k with 90 two stroke. Whilst I could power the long boat with a 60hp (Wheres the fun in that) a 90 would be better for carrying loads and for quicker transit times. Having said that, the ride of a cat should be softer than that of the longboat, due to the cushoning effect of the sponsons. I prefer the width of the cat over the long boat, and whilst its only 25 to 30cm difference that is quite a lot when talking boats. If I were to get twin engines then yes that would put the price up dramatically, but given that noosa cat option the single, thats the most attractive package price wise. Whilst it will sacrifce some control and manoverability, the single engine cat is designed accordingly and many reviews have praised its performance in rough water.

andrew

Smithy
21-06-2006, 02:37 PM
If you followed Witchdoctor's posts from a couple of years ago you wouldn't touch a Stinger with a 10' pole.

youngfisho
21-06-2006, 07:46 PM
wow, this post is five months old!!!!!

please explain smithy, why you would not touch them with a 10 foot pole. you should justify your comments before making them. otherwise your comments hold no weight.

andrew

Smithy
22-06-2006, 09:46 AM
I will PM you. Let's just say there were lots of legal letters back and forth so I am not going to go public with it.

Az
22-06-2006, 03:24 PM
also that $30k pricetag is a little ambitious, I contact noosa cat a few months ago about the very same boat and the quote was a lot higher than that... around $40k+ mark with a fairly basic setup

j-tyson
22-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Yamaha Southwind the original and best.

JT

youngfisho
22-06-2006, 11:44 PM
az, they posted me some info as well, and yeah the price had gone up by 10 grand after the review in one of the magazines, but this post is over six months old now, and only due to server error has it reared its head again. im surprized troy hasnt come along and poo pooed the who mono vs cat thing :D

andrew

Dan_H
23-12-2006, 12:30 PM
what about the 7m Stinger? #a 115 will get it to 40k's according to the PNG Coast Guard... it would cruise happily on moreton bay chop at 25k's.... it would be softer than a 5m cat in most conditions... the only thing is that to get the upgraded hull (like the 6m stinger) you may have to put an order in with Murray the builder... I am thinking also that if it is purely fishing you are into then you may have to get all those storage bins out of the aft area!

also I wouldn't be too sure about moving a Noosa Cat around with an electric - even a big one. #The 5m CC is on the heavy side and with two sponsons to move it would be slow and with a tide runnning - forget it... #a 7m flatish mono hull would be no problem - all the US Ranger boats are around that size...