PDA

View Full Version : tomatsu vs merc

Seahorse
20-06-2006, 09:46 PM
went to stessco dealer today. he put pack together for me with tom motor 50hp. he said made by merc and same motor.
i rang other stessco dealer and he put together a pack with 50hp merc. i asked merc dealer about tomatsu and he said they were sh... and were not in league of usa merc and that was why first dealerwas cheaper by $$1500. who do u believe?

Blackened
20-06-2006, 09:58 PM
G'day
Both merc and tohatsu share certain models of their range. I do not know about the particular 50hp engine, which variant was it? Either way both mercury and tohatsu make very very good engines.
Dave

fishn-ads
21-06-2006, 09:01 AM
I know that standard 2 strokes to 40 hp are all made by tohatsu. I also know that Tohatsu's are about the same money so maybe the Mercury dealer has a bigger margin?

Ads

nigelr
21-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Local gun outboard mechanic has big wraps on the Tojo 50 2 stroke.
And he's an Evinrude/Johnson dealer!
I'm certainly happy with my 30 Tojo, and would be happy to buy another Tojo.
And cheaper to buy than Merc as well, although I think Merc might have stainless prop?
Cheers!

Blackened
21-06-2006, 09:32 AM
G'day ads.
I dont think ALL the standard merc 2bangers are toheys. I have a 2000 model 9.9 and at the point of sale i was given the choice of a USA or JAP engine. Obviously the jap version has at least a tohey powerhead. I know for shure that the lightning and super series are tohatsu. Maybe we can have someone in the know like kopey clear this up?
Dave

fishn-ads
21-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Dave, Intresting I think Mercury maybe reducing there range somewhat to that they produced in 2000. I know from my recent purchase that the range now refered to as "Portables" are all manufactured by Tohatsu this was told to me by a very large Mercury north ... side ... dealer.

Not much worldwide market for standard 2 strokes anymore? with EPA laws and the like. And global corporation just don't consider Australia a huge investment they tend to give us the left overs. Look at everything from Cars to Mobile Phones go to America today and you can buy a phone, computer, outboard etc. that wont be released here for 18 months or so.

It's all about change and a disposable world "Warranty runs out they'll buy another".

Ads

fishn-ads
21-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Just spoke to a dealer "Sea Pro" is new Americian manufactured models made by Brunswick alittle more expensive.

joey_1987
21-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Tohatsu make the 6hp LW, 8hp LW, 15hp Super, 30hp LW, 40hp Lightning XR and the 25hp Sea Pro for Mercury as far as 2 strokes go. They also make the 8hp LW 4stroke, 9.9hpLW, 25hp EFI and 30hp EFI 4 strokes for Merc. Cheers, Joey.

marlinqld
21-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Where does the Mariner come into it?

Allegedy a merc with mariner badges. Are these also by Tohatsu?

I have a Mariner 75 2 stroke.

Mariner, mercury or Tohatsu???????????????

joey_1987
21-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Recently, all Mariner's are identical to the Merc's except for cowling. My 30hp Mariner is identical to the 30hp Merc. Joey.

fish-n-dive
21-06-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm really getting the sh!+$ with the hype re motors. I bought a Merc that turned out to be a Tohatsu. It seems to be a good motor ...........but it isn't what I asked for.....................why can't sales reps be more honest?????

Check out my previous post here http://147.202.71.34/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1150525396

Cheers 8-)

Blackened
21-06-2006, 10:14 PM
G'day
Fair call. It's getting too bloody confusing but totally understandable because of our global market in which is becoming one more and more. Maybe we can say stuff everyone else and make an AUSSIE outboard? What would you call it and what color would it be? Bugger this, i'll start this idea as a new thread....
Dave

fishn-ads
22-06-2006, 06:22 PM
joey_1987, Tohatsu also make the 2.5, 3.3, 5 Hp portable. The 40 Hp Sea Pro and 40 Hp Mid range. It seems the only model still make out of the US is the 25hp Portable????

Ads

joey_1987
22-06-2006, 06:35 PM
There are models which Mercury still make, there's the 9.9hp and 15hp 2 strokes, and 20hp and 25hp 2 stroke, except for the 25hp SeaPro. I know they had a 30hp non lightweight model too which was made in USA. Cheers, Joey.

Seahorse
22-06-2006, 06:48 PM
iam now going merc.

joey_1987
22-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Seahorse001, what's wrong with Tohatsu? Merc's are good too, but there's nothing wrong with Tohatsu's. Cheers, Joey.

Seahorse
22-06-2006, 07:57 PM
i suppose its the unknown. u just dont hear much on tohatsu. they may be great but when dealers bag them and other dealers love them, u tell me wat to do. also got to look at resale.

cheers
greg

joey_1987
22-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah, they're not as common here as they are say in Japan, though if they're good enough for Mercury to put their name on them, then that must say something, especially for the SeaPro outboards that Tohatsu makes for Mercury. I have heard their resale is not as good as some others, but you pay less for them to begin with so it gets cancelled out. One place you will see them is at the open beaches which are patrolled by surf lifesavers, they use Tohatsu's and keep on using them, observe the treatment these motors get and then ask yourself if the others would survive this. As far as i'm concerned, they make reliable and near bulletproof outboards, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I needed to. Dealers want to sell their product, some go low enough to bag the competition, and it doesn't just happen to Tohatsu, other brands get bagged by dealers that are trying to sell their own product. I'm not saying go out and buy one, it really makes no difference to me. Buy the motor that best suits your needs. If you're happy, then all is well. Cheers, Joey.

Seahorse
22-06-2006, 10:07 PM
i know what u r saying joey. its just that little bit of doubt. if only dealers would tell u the truth or if only u could buy the outboard that u wanted rather than just go with the one that is sold by the dealer whos boat u want to buy. piss... me off

cheere
greg

joey_1987
22-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I would have to agree with you Greg. When I bought my Stacer the dealer only sold Johson/Evinrude and they sold Mercury/Mariner's as part of the package with Boat, Motor and Trailer. If I wanted the Johnson it was like $800+ more than the Mariner, the same applied if I was going to buy a Yamaha from a Yamaha dealer and the Stacer from this dealer, so I did my homework and found that the 30hp Merc's are great. Can I ask what size motor you're after? I may have some advice on what's good and what's not for you, it's all up to what you prefer though. The surf lifesaving clubs can't afford to have a motor collapse mid-rescue so they choose their motors accordingly. If you buy a Tohatsu badged as a Mercury, then it will have the same resale value as a Mercury would providing the people don't realise that it's really a Tohatsu. Those that have know and used Tohatsu's would not say no to another one knowing what they're like. Cheers, Joey.

Seahorse
23-06-2006, 04:16 PM
i guess i like the mercs. dont know about the etecs. yammy would be ok. eventhough my 30merc is a tohatsu as i have now found out, i would at least want a merc cowling, if that makes sense.
cheers
greg

fishn-ads
23-06-2006, 05:08 PM
A little bit more info for you Evinrude made the first marketed outboard in 1910, Johnson 1921, Johnson / Evinrude combined to form OMC in 1936 now owned by BRP, Mercury started in 1939. Brunswick owns the mecury/marnier name followed by Tohatsu in 1956 Yamaha 1960 Honda 1965 and Suzuki started manufacting outboards in 1977.

Ads