PDA

View Full Version : What did you have to do to get your first boat?

Angla
05-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Things started with pleading to the wife for a boat.

Started promising to do the lawns more often.............No.
Sold the motor bike...............nearly
I will give up smoking.............Yes

At 37 I gave up smoking and a motor bike to get my first boat.

Recon I have saved over $20,000 now but have a ways to go to pay off the Cruise Craft.. Just figured I will have to keep it for another 23 and a half years to pay it off. Oh well. I can suffer that.

Angla

ps She says we have to get a Harley next year for our 25th wedding anniversary

Yes.......get the bike back too.

Fat Chilli
05-06-2006, 11:07 PM
It all started off as 'her that must be obeyeds' idea about 9 months ago.
I said we could never afford it (reverse psycology worked wonders ;D ).
3 months after that I mentioned it and the boss said yes, with $$$ restrictions.

First it was a max limit of $7k, she didn't like what was around, neither did I, then it was $10k, not much better, then $15k, then $20k and finally a max of $25k.

We were lucky and both got several years of tax back in one hit as well as saving for 6 months, the rest was out of our house renovation savings.

I had to promise to build the new deck by the end of the year. Any handy volunteers out there wishing to help ::)

I still have to quit smoking - anyone tried zyban..? any success?

Cheers

FC

Angla
05-06-2006, 11:34 PM
The cost seems high but I am sure it is all worth the trouble.

There is nothing like going to a secluded spot of water and enjoying the time.

Angla

Darryl
05-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Talk to your doctor about the side effects from it, i know i had heart pulpitations from it and was taken off it. Other people swear buy it tho.

Darryl.

Ps, i'm lucky , i just came home with one and she just said more shit huh. ;D

Gbanger
05-06-2006, 11:43 PM
i quit for 2 years using ziaban, it gave me hives though... hahah

to get my first boat i had to put myself in debt again for another 7 years...

marlinqld
06-06-2006, 05:41 AM
I wore the skin off my knees and elbows crawling and begging for 5 years LOL.......

Then the son came home and said he'd bought a boat............... and I was going halves in it...... a 20K Ally craft, and I had to trade my dinghy in as a deposit.... bugger........

Who was I to argue with my only son? Anyways, mum accepted it and now she loves going out with us.

Barrymundi
06-06-2006, 05:45 AM
wife paid for it ;D

as she should.

Al

griz066
06-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Had a few 2 many sherberts one Sat night, got onto ebay and next thing I know I have just transfered $$$$$$ from my credit card to this bloke in Sydney, 1000km away. Oh well I got a mate to tow it home for me for BEER and I haven't looked back we all love it even the minister for war and finance.

harry_h01
06-06-2006, 07:27 AM
For my first boat, I got poisoned by The Department of Defence.

I was one of the unlucky ones who used to crawl around in the fuel tanks of the F-111s.

I got the $40k shut up payment. So I set aside 10k for the boat and accessories. The wife was a little disappointed as she wanted to goto New Zealand, but a boat was what I wanted and it was my money.

Harry

blaze
06-06-2006, 07:59 AM
learn to swim the mile twice a week at 12 years old, dont know why because my first one was a yak to shoot dusks off, Had been shooting from about 10 with a 410 shottie and the parents had more fear of me drowning than shooting myself.
cheers
blaze
ps
them were the days. just picture blaze riding around town with a yak behind his bike, shottie over the shoulder and walking into a shop to get a box of shells, with no one thinking that was unuassal.

snappa
06-06-2006, 10:09 AM
;)

every sunday morning i would disappear..

"where ya been"

down at the BOAT ramp.... :'(

again...

yes.....

do you want one...

cannt afford it ...

so one day came home with boat attacted...

"no worries"...

untill the motor shi&&^# itself.. >:(

then the FUN began .....

well i think everyone knows the next .....

Dr_Dan
06-06-2006, 10:24 AM
part time job all through school, saved every 5c piece i found until finally had enough.

4.2 savage runabout with 25 on the back. #

And the best thing was IT WAS ALL MINE. #Still is, all though, sitting in backyard not getting used due to serious lack of funds to fix her up
:'( :'( :'(

2iar
06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Not my first boat, as I had a little tinnie before this one.

However, I always drooled over Signatures - I'm not too greedy, a little one would be fine. After many, many discussions the wife eventually agreed to a purchase, but not for another few years of blitzing the mortgage to get it paid paid off first. However last year, at the tender age of 37, I started suffering from a fair bit of pain in the thumbs, which may or may not be the early onset of arthritis. Too cut a long story short, my dear missus realised that if worst comes to worst, I might not have been able to manage a boat in a few years time. In a classic "it's now or never" case, a few weeks later, "Tillie", my 460DF arrived home with us, and I love her to death.

To top it all off, the thumbs [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] don't seem to have been giving me nearly as much grief this year. I'm sure the wife is thrilled, and regards it as the coincidence it surely is. ;)

Life's good. [smiley=happy.gif]

Good luck,
Mike

themisses
06-06-2006, 03:09 PM
"Priscilla the Fish Killer"(13 foot tinnie) was a deal to good to go past!! Have now created monster. I gave in a second time, now have a 4.55 poly. He is already talking about the next boat. (4.8 poly) God forbid should i have more than 2 handbags!!

mitch_05
06-06-2006, 04:42 PM
He is already talking about the next boat. (4.8 poly)

thought he'd wanna go straight to the 5.3 ;D ;)

how do you like "reel fun"

mitch

sid_fishes
06-06-2006, 05:10 PM
for me it was simple as to get my first boat, i left my wife

Angla
06-06-2006, 05:25 PM
RAOFLMAO.

The whole lot of you are seriously addicted to getting one.

Dr_Dan, Have you tried to learn to do the repairs yourself, therefore saving the big bucks?

Blaze, I can see that. We used to travel on the school bus with a shotgun and ferret box (on our days off. Hehe) + rabbits on the return trip.

2iar, glad to hear the thumbs are better, must be the extra activity from the boat work

themisses, who is running the show there? Is it you that wants it or the old man?

Angla

themisses
06-06-2006, 05:25 PM
thought he'd wanna go straight to the 5.3 Grin Wink

how do you like "reel fun"

Hi Mitch!! We love "Reel Fun", and she is not going anywhere anytime soon. The 5.3 is too big to fit in the garage. I draw the line at selling the house to fit the boat in. :)

themisses
06-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi Angla,
He wears the pants. I tell him which ones!! 8-)
I would love the 4.8 (I know this will this statement will come back to haunt me). But very happy with the current boat, only had it 5 months. :)

daz35
06-06-2006, 05:41 PM
used to go out in the tinny with dad all the time and i think he got sick of me hasselling him to go all the time and at the age of 11 or 12 worked school holidays as a brickies labourer for him and scored a nice little 12ft bondwood and seagull outboard used to leave the boat moored at deception bay and load up trolley with outboard and all the gear walk the 2 blocks to the boat and that was me fishin and crabbin every weekend

Roo
06-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi Angla,
He wears the pants. I tell him which ones!! 8-)
I would love the 4.8 (I know this will this statement will come back to haunt me). But very happy with the current boat, only had it 5 months. :)

I have witnesses now :D :D ;)

woo hoo roo

Roo
06-06-2006, 05:57 PM
[quote author=themisses link=1149511751/15#18 date=1149579396]Hi Angla,

I would love the 4.8

I have witnesses now :D :D ;)

woo hoo roo

EDITED FOR GREATER EFFECT

warrior
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
TRAVELLED AUSSIE IN 96 ,NEEDED A CAR TOPPER TO GET TO THOSE GREAT PLACES UP NORTH WHICH HOLD BIG BARA(thats what i told the little lady),DID 40,000KS ON TOP OF THE CAR BEST THING I HAVE EVER BOUGHT,AND IT DID GET SOME BIG BARRA IN IT.

StevenM
06-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Got my first company car at the age of 21, sold a few toys and car and

wallah

a boat

lippa
06-06-2006, 07:28 PM
"we" started saving when iwas about 20, to buy a boat. had about 7k saved and ready to borrow the rest, ended up with a house in strathpine and a lot more debt. getting over that hurdle "we" started saving again 8k this time but alas the house needed some renos, so that was that, again saving woo hoo 10k i'm getting a boat, handbrake comes on and we get married :( two weeks after returning from fiji on honeymoon, i goes and see's the bank manager(without her ;)) and borrows some money, came home from the boat dealer with a bit of paper and a photo ;D ;D. i didn't even get in trouble, she thanked me for my sacrafices and said i had deserved it!!! it took 6 years but i finally got her.

cheers

lippa

mitch_05
06-06-2006, 07:54 PM
The 5.3 is too big to fit in the garage. I draw the line at selling the house to fit the boat in. #:)

not to mention i dont think the corrola would tow it :-/

wouldnt need to sell the house. park outside the lounge room so he can look at it instead of the telly.

mitch

coasty
06-06-2006, 09:08 PM
i had to have my tonsils removed. dont laugh i was just 5. physically not mentally.
it was a glass boat that was washed up in the floods a few months earlier. i still have it and now im 38 i think. physically again not mentally.

bignick
06-06-2006, 10:03 PM
I had to provide my fiancee (now wife) with and engagement ring as a trade-off for the first boat purchase. Oh well, you live and learn...

Cheers,
NICK.

Angla
06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Some of the prices we pay are far too high.

Bignick, A WIFE (ring bearer) for a BOAT

Is there a clause in the pre-nup where if you sell the boat you get the ring back?

If the boat goes down, what then?

Angla ::)

novice23
07-06-2006, 04:13 AM
I had to sit and wait and ride in mates boats for two years trying to convince myself of the style of boat i actually wanted. I think i just confused myself before ultimately realising i just wanted 'a boat'. - following that i had to fit a towbar to the car.

revs57
07-06-2006, 07:16 AM
like the man in the song

"I hocked my shirt I pawned my rings...I've done all the dumb things!!!"

Bring On Another Thousand!!!!!

cheers

rhys

Bundy_Burp
07-06-2006, 08:51 AM
First boat was a 12ft tinnie with a 5hp o/b traded a mate 2 cartons of beer for it caught the fishin bug big time and have had 3 boats since then . Although the other boats cost a lot more than a couple of cartons. :'(

madman1
07-06-2006, 09:58 AM
My current boat, a 525 Stacer Cuddy just "LOBBED" on the doorstep with a quick explaination to the missus.

All was good.

Juzo
07-06-2006, 04:17 PM
My old work sent me to Athens to work during the 2004 Olympics, had lined up a trip to the Greek Isles afterwards, but canned the trip and used the money I would otherwise have spent on the boat, 15ft Brooker, 60hp. Although the Isle would have been fun, I decided to been faithfull to my girl (now fiancee) and not temp myself. Was better for the long run, cause even though she calls herself a fishemans wife, I can go boating pretty much any time I want. Dont get too many girls that nice (read - less demanding)

Rlee
10-06-2006, 02:50 PM
My husband bought my grandfathers old tinnie and used to go out in it a lot.

I went out with him once in it and got wet and it was uncomfy so I said you need a new boat.

He said I have been telling you that for years but it took me goig out in it to agree lol.

Went to the boat show and spent $33K and we are both very happy with our new boat.

Pritch39
10-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Not my fist but the most recent is a little 10 foot tinnie with 98 model merc bimini top etc.

It was the deal of the century, I had benn saving every spare cent to get a sh*t box boat to do any sort of fishing in as we had just bought our first house & funds were tight. A mate of mine said he new of a guy that had an old fibreglass boat going cheap so i had a look.
when we arive d it was a 4.2 metr4es open glass boat only no trailer no motor or gear but was in quite good nick. After a bit of back and forth i told the bloke it wasnt realy what i was after but would get rid of it for him if he wanted. Boat on trailer & gone for a bottle of Jim beam.

I showed some photos of my recently aquired boat to a bloke at work who said i will swap you for my tinnie. I had a look took it home and the rest is history.

10 foot dehavilland 98 model 4 horsepower mercury bimini all saftey gear for the princely sum of 1 bottle of Jim Beam and 2 gateway bride tolls RRR thats gold.

Ps the boat I swapped is still sitting on the deck in my work mates back yard.

Pritch

caloundra
10-06-2006, 04:00 PM
going through it all ATM after being boatless for 12 months >:(
trying to talk the boss lady [smiley=gorgeous.gif] [smiley=whip.gif] into agreeing to release some funds into this project - decking out a plain looking quintrex 16 foot v nose punt

PS this is harder than trying to get my first boat

Daniel

MulletMan
10-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I was working in Mt. Isa back in the sixties with the Bank of NSW (westpac now) where about twelve of us lived in the bank quarters.

I thrashed them at poker, roulette and every other card game, in between kegs of beer.

Eventually got together $600.00 from this hobby and bought an old bondwood ski boat in Brisbane with a chevvy truck motor in it that I used at Moogerah Dam water skiing every weekend for years (that was when it was water as far as you could see)

lucyloo
13-06-2006, 09:36 PM
zyaban dont smoke it its worse than tobbaco :o]my first boat was 13 ft hardwood with 3half tohatsu had to mow lawns 4 mths but i was only 10 used to take about 1half hrs to get to green island from wynnum creek the old boy always thort we went up the creek ;D ;D

marcus
14-06-2006, 12:10 PM
I had all the boat manufacturing companies send their latest catalogues to my wife and this eventially had her excited about boats. The trick is to have the catalogues addressed to the wife as they are excited when they receive mail. I ended up with a Cruisecraft, not bad. ;D

gutzy
21-06-2006, 06:25 PM
only just got my first boat 4m allycraft with 25hp and am going berserk fitting it out.

Angla
21-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Marcus, you don't deserve a boat as you havent worked hard enough for it.

LUCKY BASTA3D

I must remember that for the future Winnebago

Angla

jimbamb
22-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Back in the dark ages (1970) I won $100 in a raffle thingo.Went out an bought a 10 ft Dehavilland punt for $ 175..I already owned a 1964 3hp Evinrude that i used to put on hire boats
Used that rig for years and when i upgraded ,i gave it to my son.
That boat is still as good as ever (except for the usual scratches etc) and it is used regularly with an electric on the back,catchin cod on a regular basis.
Best money i ever spent..
PSS>
Just remembered the boat a mate and I built out of Corrogated iron in 1966.Got called up to the army just as it was finished and never got to use it.. Didn't even git a photo of it.
Oh Well.. thats life!!!!

coxy
22-06-2006, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't own one if not for the missus. She said if I proposed we could buy one.

23 days later & I,m married with a brand new boat but I can't get the steering wheel off her & I've become the deckie!!!

Best move I ever made & we have have made the best investment of our lives. Time spent together, out on the water & she fillets all the fish!

Jim_Byrne
22-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I delivered pizza's after my day job for 1 year, saved all my 5c tips etc, lodged a huge tax claim (legit) for the milage on my car etc and presto! My first boat, a
4.6 Dory.

timbacutta
23-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Back in the 80's, I borrowed the old man's 12 foot tinnie with a 9.9hp Johno on the back to go fishing. Took it back for his annual holidays at chrissie then reborrowed it again 8-) ;D. Same thing next chrissie, then sort of inherited it when the old man went and bought himself a bigger boat. Two trailers and 3 motors later, I finnally sold it in September last year after over 30 years in the family when I got my new TABS Territory. I did give dad half of the money from the sale of the boat as after all it was technically still his boat. ;D

Jeff