PDA

View Full Version : Oil Alarm

castlemaine
22-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Thought I post this to get some opinions. Mate of mine bought a brand new Quinny, a few years ago. Great boat but oil alarm keeps coming on intermittently, 90hp oil injected 2 stroke Johnson motor. Supplier could not effectively fix the problem ... still. I noticed the supplier now has Yamahas attached to all their new boats. When I was getting my boat serviced my service guys told me it was an inherit problem in Johnsons/Evinrudes and that they disconnect the oil pump and get the owners to pre-mix their fuel. As my mate pointed out, apart from being a pain-in-the-@rse to pre-mix an underfloor fuel tank, he didn't pay all this money to divert the problem when it appears to be something that possibly simply is a manufacturer's fault. And I agree. Sometimes when these problems occur we think it's a one off, only affecting us as an individual; so if any of you fellow Austfish-ers have the same problem l love to hear of your experiences. Cheers and may the rain fall on Brisbane before Level 4. 8-)

Richo1
22-06-2006, 11:13 PM
In the process of getting my mates boat up and running for him, and his outboard has exactly the same problem. It is an oil injection 115hp Evinrude 98 model at a guess. He said it has always done it and he just ignores it. :-/

Cheers Richo

Spaniard_King
23-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Castlemain,

try searching the subject as I know there has been plenty said in the past. I think you will find the manufacturer will be happy to help you if the engine is under warranty otherwise unless you want to replace the VRO pump(oil pump) they cant help you as now the VRO's are a non serviceable item (throw away)

Garry

youngfisho
23-06-2006, 06:44 PM
i recently had this problem with my 99 johno oil injected 70hp two stroke. the alarm would sound every 30 seconds or so, for a second. but it would not do it at idle. the guys resoldered all of the wiring to the sensors and checked the float sensor in the oil reservior, they also bled the oil tank to make sure no air was in the line and the problem resolved. did it whilst i had a service to make things cheaper for me.

this may be a similar thing your experiencing.

hope this helps

andrew

1975fflh
23-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Gidday
I have a 90hp Johnson 98/99 model, the oil pump has been disconnected and I have to mix in the tank,

The oil tank is still fitted to the boat and all cables etc are still in place, does any one know how i go about removing wehat i dont need, the oil tank is the same size as a car or boat battery and takes up the room i would rather use for other things.

Thanks guys