PDA

View Full Version : best boat for an 8hp?

Arlon
22-06-2006, 11:23 PM
I have an 8hp tohatsu 4-stroke sitting in the corner of the garage and was wondering what some thoughts are for the perfect boat to put it on. I want a small light boat for shallow water/back bay/creek but deep enough to not get swamped if a little chop kicks up. Speed is unimportant but the abiity to at least get on plane is.. Any thought? I know you guy are the absolute masters of getting the most fishability from a small package. A 14ft "longboat/panga" tinnie would be cool but I don't think they make such a thing. I do have a MIG and time though....

blaze
22-06-2006, 11:43 PM
12' tinnie

jackster
23-06-2006, 12:53 AM
arlon
a skinny 12' flat bottomed to 5/10deg deadrise tinni sounds the go
you will plane a flat bottom with an 8hp
can you pick up a second hand tinni for a few hundred dollars there?
a light tinni is pressed tin. if you are making a plate boat, it will be heavier and an 8 may not plane it
if not and you build, might as well be a nice one, sell the 8hp and power what you build to suit
maybe a stich and glue plan would be ok in tin, but i havent seen a true longboat/panga plan anywhere

Blackened
23-06-2006, 09:33 AM
G'day
Just a 10 or 12 foot tinny. Be it a shallow V or a true punt. Usually the smaller ones over here are made out of 1.6mm sides and bottom, with some others out of 2mm bottom and 1.6mm sides. Just have a look at some of the manufacturers websites either over there or here for a few ideas. seajay, quintrex, horizon, stessl, just to name a few.
Dave

ahoj
23-06-2006, 06:25 PM
I agree with jack sell me the 8 hp and buy a boat you want and match a motor to the boat---- that is a better way of doing it...... 8-)

ahoj

fishn-ads
23-06-2006, 10:11 PM
I think the 8 hp will struggle on anything other than a 12 ft punt it would be prefect on a 10ft V-nose and would be a great traveller you could use it alot of places.

Ads

tiny_tinny
24-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Hi Arlon,

My first boat was a 12 ft tinny with an 8 hp Suzuki - it used to fly with just one person on board, and still planed well with 2 people. The hull was a Brooker car-topper, so it was light weight and had low sides.

Originally I had a 5 hp motor, but the 8 was miles ahead of it. I carried it around on roof racks for a while, but getting it on and off was no fun, so I bought a boat trailer.

Good luck,

Mike

marcusarnold
24-06-2006, 09:05 AM
about 10' probly- i got a quintrex 310 dart that weighs only 61 kilo's and the max hp on it is an 8. i think you can get one of these for about $1000