PDA

View Full Version : Australian Outboards.... what name and colour?

Blackened
21-06-2006, 10:20 PM
G'day
Just had a thought come to mind on another thread.
If someone was to create their own aussie made and owned outboard brand........ What colour would it be and what would you call it?

Currently we have merc/mariner, johnson and evinrude from the USA...... tohatsu, yamaha, suzuki from japan here currently in oz off the top of my head.

Shurely for an aussie o/b it'd have to be green and gold? Dont know what i'd call it though? Whats the ideas?

Dave

blaze
21-06-2006, 11:18 PM
have to call it a lemon and paint it yellow I reckon, aussie would maybe only make a good outboard if they worked 3 days a week, no output on mondays and fridays. To make consistantly good outboards I think our work ethics would need to pick up.
cheers
blaze

luckyone
22-06-2006, 04:45 AM
jeez blaze thats a tad harsh or are we haveing a bad hair day

marlinqld
22-06-2006, 05:21 AM
I tend to agree with blaze.

thats why we will never catch the Japs or asian countries..... our work ethics suck....... too many public holidays, too many sickies, too much welfare from the government available to convince many not to work.

Blackened
22-06-2006, 06:36 AM
G'day
C'mon stop being so synical. Like i said, IF this was to happen. Lets have a bit of fun with this? By the way, ford still have their boss engines made here in oz and their preeety nice.
Dave

Homer_Jay
22-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Australian outboards????? Just look at the quality of some of the boats thats get made here and the trouble we have trying to get anything fixed thats not done right the first time. Outboards..... well thats a path that i dont think we would survive against the Japs. Got to admit those japs do it pretty well when it come to that sort of thing, just look at the Toyota's, better quatity that even the US can produce. But anyway yeah paint them green and gold.... good for the SAR boys to spot you when you break down.... My 2 cents for the day ;D

PADDLES
22-06-2006, 09:05 AM
it doesn't matter where a product is produced as long as the quality control is there. toyota for instance manufacture in australia, south africa and france and maintain high standards. sure, for small to medium size manufacturing the aussie "work ethic" probably lets us down a bit. but for large scale automated manufacture we've got to be up there with the rest of the world. our outboard would have to be called the "THRUSTER" and be royal blue with a southern cross on the side. nyuk nyuk nyuk ............... ;D

wetnwild11
22-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Ok Paddles, but what union would it belong to?
cheers and beers ;D ;D
Eric

fishn-ads
22-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Ok Blackened I'll see if we can get the boys thinking maybe "Sigma" or "Magna" maybe not? Um P76, Charger, GT, Victa, Hill Hoist, Bionic Ear, Black Box etc alittle better but been done before.

It's gotta be the WALLABY it'll beat anything (most off the time). Don't know how well they swim but, how about "AUSTRALIA 2" with a winged skid and Corses boxing kangaroo has to be the emblem.

Ads

lippa
22-06-2006, 05:19 PM
work ethic? i trialled a guy tuesday, employed him wensday, he had a sickie today. go figure? any young fella want a job?

cheers

lippa

longtail
22-06-2006, 06:07 PM
work ethic? i trialled a guy tuesday, employed him wensday, he had a sickie today. go figure? any young fella want a job?

cheers

lippa

what are ya paying lippa?? ;)

marcusarnold
22-06-2006, 06:15 PM
there's a new australian brand of outboards called called "osprey" and they are blue and white.

gif
22-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Osprey are made in China

Probably an illegal copy of a yamaha - with components that scare me like asbestos gaskets ( I think these are banned)

StevenM
22-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Never leak but gary

fishn-ads
22-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Just don't sniff them. ;D

"Osprey" I won't be rushing out to save a few hundred on a chinesse manufacture O/B that comes with 1 year parts warranty?

Blackened
22-06-2006, 08:41 PM
G'day
How about the Moray? they can be black with an iridescent/pearl southern cross across the cowel.
Dave

PADDLES
23-06-2006, 01:05 PM
well wetnwild we could allocate a hp range to each trade union for naming rights. maybe some of the smaller unions would be the names of the range up to 15hp (make lots of noise and don't go real good) right the way through to the over 175hp range which we could call the "Wharfies" cos they go good while they're happy, cost lots of money, but hold ya wallet to ransom when they break down. i wonder if roy and hg would be available for the advertising campains for this new aussie outboard range? ;D

Boat_Dreamz
23-06-2006, 10:42 PM
I reckon it would be called She'llberightmate- bit hard to fit on the side of the Motor though. The major advantage is it would have a stubby cooling attachment. Colours: Green and Gold of course ;)

blaze
23-06-2006, 11:33 PM
why green and gold
maybe our colors should be the "red" of the outback as its by far our biggest part of the land mass, they tell me there aint much green up queensland way. (plenty in tassie)
cheers
blaze

flotsom
24-06-2006, 09:47 AM
do you remember the australian made evinrude and johnson, back in around 88 -> 91 models, the full range where assembled in australia with the use of aus and us parts, if you ever see a johnson or evinrude with the aus flag on the leg (sticker) they are the australian assembled motors.

as for evinrude and johnson, with the FICHT range (that more than likely sent them broke) had a number of australian made technologies i.e. the injectors and some of the fuel injection components.

just a little bit of trivia...