PDA

View Full Version : Help#new#secondhand boat has corrosion

Caroline_Trezise
25-06-2006, 08:26 AM
I brought a #secondhand boat and took the cushions of the seats to clean and found holes.
After a closer look all over#found#the#corrosion to be around the press studs in the seats and eyelets on the canopy. #Now, not knowing anything about boats how do I clean this up, and stop any more in the future. #
This is our very first boat #:'(
Any help suggestions very much appreciated

Blackened
25-06-2006, 12:05 PM
G'day
This is a painted aluminium boat i presume? This is caused by dissimilar metals being in contact with one another. The only thing that i am aware of that will fix this is by pulling out every screw, rivet and bolt that is of a different metal, put a duralac coating on and replace.
Dave

Camo
25-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi Cass, is it just the press studs that are corroded or the material that they are attached to. If it is an aluminium boat and it is the aluminium that hull that is corroded then, as Blackened has said, it could be electrolysis caused by dissimilar metals being in contact with one another. Is it an aluminium boat?

If it is an aluminium hull and you think that the problem is electrolysis it may pay you to ensure that the engine is earthed to the hull. When the engine is earthed to the hull, both hull and engine become one electrical cell. It is the lowest electrical potential metal, in the cell that gets eaten away in this situation, and earthing the engine to the hull ensures that the the sacrificial anode on the engine gets eaten away and not the boat.

Camo